First Visit to the DR

cmoore001

Jan 9, 2003
02/15/03

Touched down at Las Americas. During our descent, all that I could see from the window of the plane was clear blue water and lush green vegitation. I think I am going to love this country. After arriving at our gate, we made our way through the terminal to imagration. Along the way they were handing out free Brugal rum drinks. I know that I am going to love this country. After getting through imigration and claiming our bags, we make our way out into the main terminal and are met by my friends Senior Cleef and Euegena. Walking out of the airport I feel the warm Carribean sun on my face and know that this is going to be a great week. We pack up the car and head toward Santo Domingo. I find out in a hurry that driving in the DR is not like the States. It is every man for himself, and the crazier you are the better. At this point I am ready some Presidente. We hit the first comida that comes up. Cleef goes in and comes back with dos grande's. I open the one that he hands to me right away, and it freezes. Cleef and Euegena have a good laugh at the Gringos expense. All the way back to Santo Domingo I am engroused in the sites, smells, and sounds of this country. There is so much to process, I am in the midst of sensory overload. Arriving at Casa De Cleef, we unpack very quickly, and jump back into the car and head north to Caberrte. I have taken a lot of road trips in my life, this tops the list. All of the people that we meet along are incredibly nice. We pull into Caberrte, at this point it is pretty late, and my buddy Billy D. has given in to the numerous Presidente's that were consumed along the way. He is sound asleep in the back seat. After checking into our hotel, Cleef and I head out to hit the bars along the beach. We party for a couple of hours and then head back to get some sleep.

02/16/2002

Today we are headed to play La Playa Grande. After we get our breakfast and coffe, we get on our way. Last night we managed to get the tape converter from Euegena so that we were able to play Cleef's MP3 player in the car. This was a huge score for a couple of Gringos that really know nothing about Bachata and Merenge (thank god) just kidding! While we drive to the course, I am wishing that I had a video camera, because photos and words are not enough to express what the surounding countryside is like. Arriving at the course, we pay for our round and meet our caddies. From what I have seen of the course so far this is going to be incredible. As we play our round, I am not disappointed. The course is carved out of the rugged north cost of the island and is often refferd to as the Pebble Beach of the Caribean. The cousre, without a doubt, lives up to this comparison. The views from the course are spectacular and it is by far the most breath taking course that I have ever played. I did not play as well as I would have liked, but when you are on a course such as this, what does it matter? Both of the caddies that we had were great and knew the greens very well. I would recommend this course to anybody who is ever on the North Coast. When we get back to Cabrette, we hit the beach to check out the action. I look out onto the water and am amazed at how many Windsurfers and Kite boarders that there are. Senior Cleef informs me that this is a world renowned spot for wind surfing and kite boarding. This is not surprising to me considering that the trade winds have been blowing strong and steady since we arrived. We spend some time on the beach looking at the entries into the sand castle contest. I spend more time rubber necking at all of the beautiful Dominican women. They truely are the most beautiful women that I have ever seen! After taking a little siesta at our rooms we go to dinner. Our destination is Mirros or Mirras (can't remember). We sit at a table with a great view of the beach the. I order baked Dorado that is so fresh it is amazing. Cleef and billy both order a Shrimp Curry dish that looks and smells fantastic. As we sit around the table drinking wine and talking I am in paradise.

02/17/02

After playing la Playa Grande again today we begin our jurney back to Santo Domingo. We are following a different route on the way home. I did not relize how mountains that the country is. This route brings us through Mocha. By the time we get back to Casa De Cleef it is time for dinner. Cleef makes some chicken stir fry that is very good. During dinner we meet Robert of DR1 fame. We get to know each other and let him know how our adventure has been to this point. Feeling the effects of our weekend, this turns out to be an early night.

02/18/02

I log onto the internet and find out that Billy and I have missed a blizzard in New England that has dumped 20 plus inches of snow. Timing is everything baby! Cleef returns from work and it is time to go for a boat ride down the Isabella. We go and pick two of Cleefs students and then head to the Marina. Going down the Isabella, for me, was one of the most memorable parts of our trip. As we drove down the river, all of the people that we encountered had friendly smiles and waves for us. Kids were even jumping in the water trying to swim out to greet us. Being a typical Gringo, I was shocked and amazed at some of the Barrios that we passed along the way. Cleef let me know that during Hurricane George that all of these Barrios along the river were devastated. We take a fork in the river and head to the left. The river slowly changes from having lots of civilization to none. The green and lush plant life along this section of the river is incredible.

02/19/03

Today we hit a small nine hole course after Cleef got out of work. The course is nothing special, but being with good friends and enjoying the sun and a couple of Presidentes is wonderful. We have been invited to have lunch with Jiame, Dolores and their family. Lunch is some sort of shrimp and rice dish, that reminds me of Jumbalia. Also there are these pastery type things stuffed with meet. I am told that this is the most traditional Dominican meal. Forgive me for not remembering the name. Jamie and Dolore's family are amazing people, they made me feal as if I was part of the family. Thank you very much. After lunch we head down to the ocean. We sit along the water drinking Presidente and watching the sun set. Another day in paradise! We went out to dinner in Colonial Santo Domingo tonight. I do not remember the name of the place but the food was amazing. Cleef,Robert and Billy had Chillean Sea Bass and I had Ravioli stuffed with Goat cheese. After dinner we went to Ocho Puertas and met Cleefs buddy Carlos. After a few beers ther we headed out to see some of the women of Santo Domingo and were not disappointed.

02/20/03

Today we went and played Guavaberry. This was another great course. Once again, I did not play as well as I would have liked. To read a great review and see some good photos of the course, refer to Hillbilly and Cleefs recent post. On the way back to Santo Domingo we stoped and had dinner at Neptuneo's. It took us a bit to find the place but I think that was because when we stopped to ask directions, Cleef was asking for a place called NEMOS! Ha Ha. Once there we were not let down. They had these fried Yuca strips and this dip that was so good we had them bring us another helping. After dinner we headed back to Casa De Cleef. When we got home Clara aka (PIB) and Robert had made an incredible stew. So we sat down for our second dinner, and got know PIB and eat the amaziong food that she prepared. Thanks again PIB it was great to meet you and I hope to see you again!

02/21/03

Today we fly home. Not wanting to leave this wonderful country. Cleef drives us out to Boca Chica. We burn some time and the rest of our Pesos sitting at a bar on the beach drinking. As I sit at the bar and run through the week in my mind, I start to feal sad that I am leaving. I think I know now what MusicQueen means when she talks about the DR BLUES!

I hope this was not to long and borring. Thanks again to Cleef and Robert and all the other wonderful people that I met! I will be back.

Chris

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Wonderful report Chris...hey, my DR Blues line is becoming famous!

Actually...my daughter came up with that name after HER first trip to DR...

It's a shame we missed seeing each other...I was in POP during those days you were in Cabarete...but Senior Cleef apparently didn't want to see any more of me...'cause he never mentioned where he was staying...even though he knew where I was going to be at!

Oh, well...next time!!! BTW...Cleef...is Eugena the Venezuelan who taught you how to make arepas?

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Gringo Fever Outbreak!

You've clearly come down with a heavy case of gringo fever.

I didn't know where we were staying - we didn't figure it out until about 11 that night anyway. You were doing your thing and as you can see, our days were chock full of plans. Plus, we couldn't keep up with you anyway - Billy couldn't even get through 16 grandes without passing out - wimp!

Take two arepas and call me in the morning.

No, Eugenia is not the arepa tutor. She is my confidant and all around life-saver at school.

My arepa's are so good it would make any true-blooded Venezuelan blush.

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
You're right about one thing...You could never keep up with me...as clearly defined on the night we met!!!

I don't think 'arepas' are gonna make me feel better...what I have is called "Dominican Blues"...not <i><b>gringo fever!!!</b></i>

You were not <b><i>that close</b></i> for me to catch it!!!