Visiting La Romana- Please Help

kgdm23

Feb 27, 2003
Hi everyone I was just wondering if anyone has ever been to La Romana and if so how are the conditions and the people. I will be staying there for about 2-3 months and wanted to know how the people feel about americans living there and I also wanted to know if there is any crime towards visitors, and if it is a safe enviroment for a 20 year old. I am going to do a research paper on the DR and the life of the people for a college course. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You :classic:

aviastar

Bronze
Jan 12, 2003
www.www.www
It is very safe, dominican people are very friendly, open minded with good hearts.

All americans think that the rest of the world is dangerous and terrible. USA is #1 at crimes, violence, drugs and that stuff. Americans are aggressive, foolish, not educated people. So La Romana will seem a paradise to you after US.

Welcome.

eboy

Feb 26, 2003
Just left La Romana

I like the last one -- is he/she trying to prove that no-one resents Americans in the DR, or that they do?

In my brief time there (just got back last night) I felt as if the biggest danger to me as a North American, was the traffic rules. I am an expert in transportation, and I still didn't quite get it.

Dominicans almost don't need to walk- there is always a motorcylce, taxi or bus ready to take you anywhere, although your options do run a bit thin during the evening.

I found La Romana to be a bustling small city, with easy access to other cities and tourist areas. You can be in the capital in less than two hours. The cultural and economic links to the US are very strong. The area around La Romana has been linked to US thru business and vacation for decades.

I am a Canadian born in the states, and I never felt any need whatsoever to avoid being taken for an American, unlike my experience in some other countries, including my own.

My Dominican friend just asked me if I ever felt unsafe (i.e. from violence) while on my two-week trip. I was careful, esp. in the capital, but I never found out if my safety was any more compromised than when I travel in US cities. (I travel extensively there-- and I do not avoid the areas that some warn me away from-- those areas where "bad neighbourhood" is just code for a black or minority area. (Careful, but not paranoid usually applies.)

I suspect that the DR and the US are quite similar in danger levels. Guns are more evident in the DR than in the US, though this does not prove they are more numerous. I was in a bar in Bayahibe two nights ago, and the customers were all very drunk, as was the bartender, and the cross-eyed and armed security guard. His shotgun seemed superfluous, as the scene was very mellow.

Other non-Dominicans expressed the concern to me that these gun-toting guards would be more dangerous to themselves or bystanders in a fire-fight, and no-one really could explain if it is necesssary that they pack so much heat. I do not know the armed-robbery rates in the DR.

One regular American visitor (ex Peace Corps) did say that the military presence has dropped dramatically in recent times, and I saw very few police officers. The few camoflagued Army types I saw were rarely or lightly armed -- less so that the numerous private security guards. Apparently the traffic police (in green) are less corrupt that the Policia Nacional.

Again, the greatest threat to my health seemed to be drivers, the poor quality of some roads, sidewalks and some vehicles, and street lighting at night.

Over three months you will be able to get further under the surface of local-foreigner relations, but if my experience of generosity from the family of my DR friend is any use, then you may find a warmness that will over-rule any resentment of some locals. Sure, some will see you as a source of money, just for being from away, but most people did take No fo an answer, espeically if I was friendly but firm.

Buen viaje. :glasses: