Trip from Hell

lapanamena

Feb 27, 2003
O.K., here it is ....I have been traveling to the DR since 1993, and I must say that each visit was a memorable experience..HOWEVER, I had never traveled during Xmas, nor will I ever!!! (Let it be known that the only reason I traveled this past Xmas was to accompany my Dominican boyfriend who desired to see his family.) First of all, my brand new luggage got handled so roughly it was all battered and dusty when I picked it up from the belt. Second, my boyfriend rented an SUV from a local rental agency (of which I greatly opposed of) that charged the ridiculous amount of $3, 700 RD per day. On our way to La Romana, a motoconche flied out of a side road head on to the SUV. And of course the motoconche had no money to pay for the dented bumper!!! That night the SUV's battery goes dead, and we had to borrow a family member's vehicle to reach our hotel. When we called the owner of the rental car agency to tell him about the accident (he did sell us insurance coverage) we were informed that the deductible was $200,000 RD, oh, and that the battery was indeed a faulty battery!!! Well, to sum it all up we rented a SUV of which we had to buy a new battery, buy power steering oil, and fill the radiator with coolant. But wait, that's not all, any business that we frequented, whether it be a local restuarant, shop, or cervezeria, vendors where overcharging us once they saw our "viajeros" appearance. I must state that the prices did not match the service. Most of the service was lousy, rude, and unprofessional. But I am not discouraged of going to visit DR again, since this was the only bad experience out of 6. Next visit, however, I will stay on a resort, and not leave it unless with a tour guide.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Sad to hear about your bad experience :(

Out of curiosity, what was the name of the car rental agency?

As I often tell people, it may be cheaper to go with the small guy
rental agency, but if you have problems, it will cost you much more in the long run.

lapanamena

Feb 27, 2003
BEWARE OF THIS CAR RENTAL AGENCY IN DR!!

To all potential visitors to the DR, DO NOT RENT from BUSINESS RENT A CAR. This agency is located in Autopista Las Americas KM, 25 La Caleta in front of the exit from the airport. The owner's name is Jaime, and he is an unscrupulous businessman. Please do not become his next victim!!

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
What the.....
3,700 pesos / day for a suv? Are you out of your mind to be paying all that sum for a freakin car? why would you need a suv, why...were you going to climb the rockies with it?
No wonder people over charged you both (surprisingly one of you was a dominican).
I just goes to show how people would pay the outrageous prices just because the other person asks for it.
Please do your home work before you travel or negotiate any deal in Dominican rep or in any part of the world. If you play the victim's role all the time, I can assure you the wolves will be always having a lookout for you both.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Silly (but very pertinent) question .... was this the first visit that you had taken your boy-friend down??? Was he well known it this area??? SUV's on the north coast rent out for about RD $800 - RD $1,000 MAX per day - LESS if it is a long term rent!!!!

Seems to me you got scammed rotten & I am wondering why "this time"?????? You might need to change your bou-friend to someone who fights to SAVE you money, will fight to ensure you get your rights when claiming back, AND to listen to your comments/suggestions when you bulk at costs!!!! - Grahame.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
What I find strange about this post is that they got scammed and overcharged in every place they visited, even though her boyfriend is Dominican...If he really is then he should know what prices are like, how to haggle, and how not to get taken. Did your boyfriend by any chance just told you that these were the prices being charged, or did you really see the receipts? Just curious...

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
This post has to be gogus or they are from Wonderland?

I wonder who was paying for all of this, first off.
Have these people ever travelled?
Who could believe a RD$200,000 deductible, after paying for insurance? The vehicle was not worth that much.

If this is a true story, you learned something. Check things out, before you sign the paper. Use DR1 to see what other people have done in similar situyations.

Again, who paid for this????

this might be a clue as to the class of people your boyfriend deals with...??

HB

lapanamena

Feb 27, 2003
Once again, this was my sixth visit to the D.R. in the last 10 years and it was the first time that I had encountered such bad experiences. The latter product of an exploited economy and an ill-fated government. And since neither my boyfriend or I live there, we were not knowledgeable about the market prices for SUV rentals. We rented an SUV for two reasons: 1) there weren't anymore vehicles left, and 2) because the roads where we were staying were in very rugged and bad conditions. And to all you mal pensados out there: Yes, all purchases were made in my presence. No, we did not pay the entire bill for the rental, as a matter of fact, there is still a pending balance with the agency of which will be litigated in court. And the money was paid by hard working HONEST living. My boyfriend owns a 27 vehicle taxi cab business, and I am a public school teacher. So go do the Math. (P.S. Not all wealthy Dominicans are into illicit activities, let's not be so malpensados!)

kingofdice

Jan 16, 2002
No one was stating that you and your boyfriend were non-working low-lifes, only that it is odd for two people to get scammed so badly, when at least one of you should have enough common sense to know what you were signing and going to pay out. At approx. $170 a day, you could have rented a taxi to be on call 24 hrs. a day and take you anywhere you wanted on the entire island.

lapanamena

Feb 27, 2003
Excuse me, but if you read the previous replies, noone stated, but it was most definitely implied. Oh, and we did try a taxi and their rates were just as ridiculous, and their services very inconvenient. Let me clarify that we were staying out on the eastern part of the country--the La Romana-Bayahibe area. Needless to say that the rental agency was in the capital. But every experience is a learning one, and next time we will know better. I thought that the reasons we share trip experiences on this site is to educate each other on traveling to the DR, not to be judged and crucified...

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I just surprised me that anyone could be so innocent. I am very sorry that you got ripped off. Things like this are what can easily kill off independent tourists....like what happened the first time that tour.cruise boats came to POP.

Please except my apology for thinking up the wrong tree. That dog don't hunt.. BUT, next time you do have to do some homework...

HB

lapanamena

Feb 27, 2003
THANK YOU...apology accepted. As doubtful it may seem, there are still innocent consumers out there...