Schools in Sosua and Puerto Plata

mainer

Mar 22, 2002
Ken,
The website doesn't give much information. I cannot click on the email button; it says that my default mail server is not set correctly. Is there a way I can fix this? I don't have a codetel address set up. Do I need one to activate this button?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I don't know, mainer. But everything works ok for me, or at least the contact buttons on the website are responding correctly. Send a your message to thelearningtreeschool@yahoo.com

BTW, I made the newbie error of starting a new thread with this post. I meant to add it to the thread Teaching in the DR that is also in this section.

mainer

Mar 22, 2002
Thanks Ken,
It is a computer setting that I don't know how to change. The website did not give the address, just the link button.

BTW, I wouldnt have seen it on the other thread!

mainer

mainer

Mar 22, 2002
quaqualita,
I cannot get that school link to work. Are you sure that it is the right address?
Thanks, Mainer

Melissa

Apr 10, 2002
I have a lot of info about the Learning Tree school so feel free to get back to me if you still need the info - it would be a pleasure to help.

CanadianCutie22

Jun 1, 2002
Melissa or anyone else with info.

Hi there, this message is for anyone that might be able to give me a bit more information.

My friend and I are coming to Puerto Plata at the end of next month. She has taken a Teach and Travel course and was interested in checking out some of the school's in Puerto Plata and surrounding area. I think I remember seeing The Learning Tree school when we were there last time but am unsure of where abouts it is. Also we just had some questions that hopefully Melissa or anyone else can answer about what sort of education level is required. I still wasn't able to get the link for the school in Sosua to work for me either. So if anyone has any general informations about it, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for any info you can provide. Please feel free to email me.

quaqualita

Feb 4, 2002
school info

hi,
unfortunately the GardenKids website is down right now, due to problems with their host. I heard that they will be online again in a few days.
Meanwhile you can call Principal Yvis for more info on the school at 571-2857.

mainer

Mar 22, 2002
There is also The Learning Center in Sosua and Colegio Nueva Vida in Sosua in addition to the International School of Sosua in Sosua.

Henry03

Nov 11, 2002
Colegio Nueva Vida

I do not have their web site either, but I found some phone numbers.
George TeTellis 571-1429
Robert Nelson 444-0940
Colegio Nueva Vida is located on the road opposite the car wash in the La Mulata area of Sos?a, about 1/2 mile from the highway.
I believe that all their classes are in Spanish
Henry03

mainer

Mar 22, 2002
Henry03,
I did email Tondra the information that she wanted.

Colegio Neuva Vida does educate in Spanish, but there is an English "School of Tomorrow" school available on the campus.

The school does not yet have a website.

Mainer

tondra

Dec 12, 2002
www.professionalsintouch.com
Thanks for the info everyone!

My Spanish is not yet good enough to teach in Spanish, so Collegio Nueva is out for me. It sounds like the International School of Sousa would be a better fit.

Unfortunately, my business and property here will be hard to sell, so I won't be able to make the move soon. I wish to begin setting up a fund in the DR for the move, as I need to be more financially secure before I come. I am making necessary repairs to my building and it appears FAR more expensive than I originally anticipated. Get this.........I got my first quote to paint my building and it was $16,500 US!!! Can you believe it? (It is a normal two story house.) So now I am searching for much cheaper quotes. Wish me luck! :)

Tondra

Bugsey34

Bronze
Feb 15, 2002
The Learning Tree website had some grammatical errors, especially in the section written by the teachers themselves - ouch.

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
Bugsey, I noticed this as well, but was hesitant to point it out...I noticed some of the pictures were provided by the infamous Diane Pellerin, too!

Tondra, there is a good Christian school in Puerto Plata run by the Iglesia Biblica Cristiana. They are looking for people to teach English for next year. I think you would be obligated to write up a statement of faith with an application. It is an option.

tonya gardener

Sep 1, 2012
I have 2 say this to prevent other people who are planning to try the Garden kids drilling institute/ Circus.
For more then 4 years my kids went to school at Garden kids International (joke)school of Sosua.
At the beginning they where very happy and liked the teachers. But after 2 years the situation changed there a lot of foreign teachers teachers left to the other schools in the area ore back to there country. Why we all thought it was because of better payments but soon it all became clear the Director Yves and her husband are complete insane and have a really strange way of talking to the kids and teachers the aggressive way.
The last year My kids came everyday at home with tears of crying and i asked them what was going on?
The reason is that they are scared of Susan a to old teacher that already should enjoy her pension she is screaming to the kids and is a really mean person then there is still that woman the mother of Yves Castillo i think she is already reaching the 70 she is absolutely not a nice person.So i thought the problem was only with my kids. I went for a talk so i come in the office and Yves is sitting behind the desk with her psychologist next to her. I asked what happened and told her that my kids come home everyday with tears and that i don't think that is normal.....Yves said something in Spanish to the psychologist and she start talking i think your daughters are having problems with the language and we want to send them to the hospital to do some head scans and tests ????????????????????????????? Are they crazy.

Days after this conversation i spoke with other parents about this and found out that my problem was one of the less problematic.
2 weeks later we received a letter that the school prices went up a 100/150 dollars more.
If you look at the school that cost a 450 to 500 dollars a month/for 1 child then they have to do something about the school with all that money. Invest in new teachers from different country's Because at the moment there are only 2 or 3 foreign teachers, and they should make the classes a lot nicer, then the play yard is looking ridiculous.

This year about 20/25 families left Garden kids and they went to other schools in Puerto Plata and Sosua.
I guess Yves and her husband should not spent the school money in a new BMW or there last gain a Land Rover but in new and young teachers and good school equipment.