ahh help me plz

gar598

Jan 17, 2003
Alright, so my friend who is coming with me to the D.R. does NOT have a birth certificate nor does he have a passport. Will he still be allowed into the D.R.? He has a military I.D. and a driver's license.

Any ideas?

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
he needs the following:

a passport

or an original birth certificate with raised seal and driver's licence/state ID

with out that, I would not recommend him going. He might get in to DR, but he will go through hell trying to get out.

in reality, he would not be allowed to board a plane to DR without the proper documentation

Last edited:

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Tell him to send for a certified copy of his birth certificate in the "registry" of the town where he was born, or in the Capital of the state (if it's US). They should be able to make one with a raised seal for less than $10.
Good luck on the trip.
mk

gar598

Jan 17, 2003
we are leaving monday - can they overnight it - he was born in a different state then where he currently lives.

gar598

Jan 17, 2003
he called the agency that handles passports which he is getting renewed - they said it was sent out on Wed. but as many of you know the U.S. Government is notoriously slow on most everything.

I guess we will see ;P

Dec 9, 2002
I'm always amazed when I read stuff like this. I can't believe that people don't get a passport as a matter of course.

Not only is a passport probably one of the best IDs around, you never know when you are gonna need one! I'm astounded that people decide to take foreign trips then at the last minute think "D'oh no passport, what am I gonna do now?"

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Just so you know: an expired passport is just as good as a birth certificate. It is proof of citizenship...nuf said

HB

gar598

Jan 17, 2003
well it seems he recieved it today - should I bring my expired passport or birth certificate or both?

J

J's Girl

Hillbilly - According to the handbooks the airlines use to determine if clients have correct Proof of Citizenship, the passport cannot be expired. They will also deny boarding if a driver's license/state issued ID is expired when used with a birth certificate.

gar598

Jan 17, 2003
guess I will bring both to be on the safe side......

thks,

gar

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2002
an expired passport is just as good as a birth certificate
Maybe, maybe not. But you would still need to get one in the first place in order for it to expire. Maybe things are different when travelling from the States to DR, but they certainly wouldn't accept an expired passport here in UK. If it isn't current, it's worthless.

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
you can enter DR with an expired passport, but you better make sure that on the way back it has been renewed through the US Embassy. But why go though that headache?

As stated, b4 you should have a passport even if u are not a frequent traveler. It serves as an ID and it is one less of a headache to deal with when u do decide to go out of the US.