Is the Santo Domingo Bar/Club scene dead for Holy week?

JC171

Oct 20, 2002
For anyone whos been in DR for Holy week..Do clubs/Bars where Dominicans hangout open during this holiday week?I have been to other countries where Holy week everyone goes home and many clubs close down for those days.

So Is the Santo Domingo Bar/Club scene dead for Holy week?

GHABG

Oct 8, 2002
In this city of 3+ million, you'll find the club scene as lively during Holy Week as any other week of the year. AM

Amber

Jan 24, 2003
Most Dominicans get away from the cities, returning to their home towns, visiting relatives or go to the beaches during holy week. Last year, I made the mistake of going on Wed. during holy week and met up with my cousins right before they left the city. We went out to six different clubs around the city and it was DEAD in comparison to other times of the year. I was sorely reminded of the fact that holy week equals BEACH to most Dominicans.. My bad. Will not happen again. :)
But if you do stay in town, frequent tourist spots, they usually have people during this time. Your best bet is to head somewhere near a beach. :)
Lots of luck,
Amber

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
What you'll find is...

...many businesses close for the week, so it might be hard to find certain souvenir items like cigars etc. There is a club scene up until good friday. Good Friday the city is dead except for the religious processions that take place. Even the casas de putas close from Friday through Sunday.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Semana Santa is one of the best times of the year to have fun in SD. Most of the Riff-Raff is getting stinking drunk at the beach so you don't have to force yourself thru the crowds of people who are trying to get into the better clubs.

jojocho

Jul 10, 2002
I don't think you will find ANYTHING open on Good Friday. You're likely to find good spots to hang out the rest of the week, but forget Friday.