1st. trip!!

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Just returned from 1st. Dr. trip. Stayed at Hotel Zapata in Boca Chica. I had tried to book el Candil & Europa due to some negative DR1 reports about Zapata, but they were full. I'm grateful to DR1 for all the teriffic info, but I'm so lucky that I was forced to book the Zapata - it was perfect.!!! The staff was great, food was more than acceptable, and my room was right on the beach - and the best part of the beach!! There may be other hotels more open to certain types of behavior, but as far as having female guests - no problem. And any implication of the hotel management being meddlesome or dishonorable couldn't be farther from the truth.

As for Boca Chica - it may not be for everyone, but it was everything I hoped it would be. Weather was perfect (of course), and the people were the BEST!

I live in upper Manhattan and am surrounded by Dominicans. I'm also 5 months into learning Spanish (in my late 50s it's not so easy). So I had a blast trying to chat with my homies. I rented a car and found the roads to be better than I expected, and if you can drive in Manhattan, you can drive there.

My next trip will be to Sosua.

By the way - I've read in some reports about mosquito problems. Is that seasonal or regional? Boca Chica was bug free. Also, I'm checking out Sosua hotels. Any opinions on Sosua By The Sea? I'd love to have the equivalent of the Zapata. And lastly, is there a detailed map of Sosua available on line?

Thanks - and go to Boca & Zapata!!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Have you found this website http://www.sosua.com/

Regarding mosquitos, there may be locations that have a problem, but I don't have knowledge of them. Where I live there is no problem.

I have seen maps of Sosua on the web, but don't recall offhand where. They showed streets and a few businesses that paid to be on map, but nothing else. There is one such map on the sosua.com website. I'll see if I can find a better map and post link later if I do.

m65swede

Mar 18, 2002
Danny W said:
By the way - I've read in some reports about mosquito problems. Is that seasonal or regional? Boca Chica was bug free. Thanks - and go to Boca & Zapata!!

Mosquitos are more prevalent in areas with lots of standing fresh water. Rice farms are natural habitats for the little beasties. I didn't notice any standing fresh water in Boca Chica when I visited last year, nor did I see any mosquitos.

But I remember having to sleep under a mosquitero many years ago while working in San Francisco de Macor?s.

Swede

SativaLynn

Mar 6, 2003
mosquito problems

i just got back from cabarete(just outside of sosua) the mosquito problem was really bad, just make sure u have plenty of bug spray(helps a little) and a mosquitero
have fun
cuidate!