Money

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raquel

Feb 1, 2003
What is the safest way to send money to the dominican?
THe reason I ask is my boyfriend lives there and just lost his job. Since his family ran into financial problems he has been supporting them with the money he made. Now he is panicing because though he found a new job he doesnt start for two weeks. I have known him since Jan. for one week at the resort and have been calling back and forth since. Though I trust him and know that these things happened to him I am a little uneasy about sending money though I can afford to. Can anyone help me out with this problem??
I have no one to talk to about this problem because my parents are against this relationship and my friends have never seen the conditions of the DR so cant understand.
Thanks

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Raquel, have you confirmed through independent sources that his story is true. This is a very, very, very common ploy on the part of Dominicans to get money. I deal with this all of the time. I now live in Sosua, but our sailboat is anchored in Samana harbor. I have a young Dominican taking care of it. Even though I have lived in the DR for almost 17 years, and have known this Dominican that long, I still get regular calls from him trying to get money because his grandmother is sick, or his son needs antibiotics, or any one of another million reasons he keeps trying--even though none of them bear fruit. It is in is blood. It is in the blood of a lot of Dominicans.

I would not send him a cent until you personally confirm that there is really a desperate need. And even then I would give a great deal of thought before I did it.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
It's just a ploy......as Ken said!

I could add a million more stories to the ones Ken has as could any one of us that live here!!
BTW - he probably has made the same request to the 10-20 other girls that keep in contact with him after a one week resort "romance" and will net a couple thousand $$ (NOT pesos) by the time they all send him money!

The only time you "help out" is when you are in the country, can personally visit the intended receipient and even then you don't give money- you go and buy what is needed and bring it to them!!

This is MommC speaking...... and I must say I agree with your parents! They're old and wise and have been around long enough to know a scam when they see (or hear) it.

Do a search for "sanki" and read all about it on DR1!

debs

Jun 10, 2002
Re: It's just a ploy......as Ken said!

MommC said:
Do a search for "sanki" and read all about it on DR1!

And if you're still not convinced, post his name and what resort he worked at and I'm sure someone will know who he is.

Just be careful, you can't really know him well enough to trust him after a week in January. Also, trust your instincts and your uneasiness about sending the money...they're probably trying to tell you something!

Hope this helps and good luck :)

Amber

Jan 24, 2003
Sad, but true, Raquel. You should check out his story and not through his family!! They will back him up in whatever he says no matter how big the lie. I have seen one talking on the phone to one of his "girlfriends" telling her that he loves her and no one else, swearing on his mother's health (while she hits him on the head) that he has neve been unfaithful to her and that he needs the money because his orphaned baby niece is in the hospital.. add nauseum... The bottom line is that she talks to his mom and she cries about the poor baby dying.. HIs girlfriend tells him she will send the money and then he calls the next. But he uses different stories with each depending on their weaknesses. Sick baby, mother, grandma, himself... etc. BTW when he first meets them, he pays for all, telling them that he is too proud to take money from a woman... He keeps it up until he tells her one day that he lost his job and he can't afford to take her out, but wants to spend time with her so he takes her to places where he won't have to spend more money (said money having come from other women not currently in the country). He refuses any helps she tries to offer. Once she leaves, he calls her frequently but never makes THE CALL. He stops calling her and when she finally gets to him, he hesitates before telling her the sob story.. Are you getting the idea? I hope this guy isn't like this, I really do. I'd also like to say that I know dominican men who would never do such a thing. Both kind are out there..The problem is telling them appart.
BE CAREFUL and Good luck,
Amber

Theresa

Vettehead from Buckhead
Jan 16, 2002
Its an all too familiar story and the posts have been nicer then usual so far. Unfortunatly sometimes you have to experience certain things before you see the light. Passion almost always gets in the way of reson. Whatever you choose, the best of luck, just make sure you take care of you ;)

Amber

Jan 24, 2003
Raquel, does he know you have the money availabe to send to him? If he doesn't, claim that you don't have it right now and see what his reaction is. If he acts offended and hurt, then watch it. As Theresa said, take care of YOU!
Above all, FOLLOW YOUR INSTINCTS!! They are 99% right most of the time.
One more thing. These people who make a living out of conning othes DO NOT CHANGE!! Belive me, I have tried just about evey approach to change the guy I mentioned before.. I might as well tell you.. He is my cousin so I know first hand how he and others like him operate. He doesn't look like a player and doesn't even work in a resort. He has such an angelic face that women I have approached to warn them about him, have wound up not speaking to me because they rarher believe him! So I no longer try that approach. I try to get him to understand how he is hurting these women. No success yet. :(

arenas809

May 22, 2002
I'm sorry, but....

I just can't stop laughing...

this rastrero prolly asked you for some money minutes after he got his paycheck...

gotta love some of us dominicans...

we give u some ass, which he obviously did since you're even considering doing this, and now we're entitled to something...

mira...while you're at it, western union me like $200, soy dominicano en olla...mi esposa se murio hace tres meses, una chia mia me dejo y aunque su mama y manita me dan polvitos, no quieren estar conmigo, no quieren ayudarme...por favor, times are hard, and I have to pay for a 30,000 a year college education...please patronciname...I'm in Coral Gables, FL 33146

oh and PM me with the MTC #

te amare pa siempre...

Dec 9, 2002
Raquel, listen to what everyone is telling you, and take note. You don't know this man as well as you think you do, after one week in a resort then a few phone calls, how can you know him? Just use your head and be sensible.

karmatico

Feb 25, 2003
sending money???

I'll put this as simple as I can ... DO NOT SEND MONEY.
It's a scam... think of it... a male asking for money to a lady he knew for a week?? that's an old story... don't do it if you don't want to regreat big time later...

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
and the sad part is..................

....after all the negative comments,she will still think that SHE is the ONE! The ONE that he really does love! and....she will still send the M.O.N.E.Y.! you have to admire the eternal optimism of women!! CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC:cool:

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
I hope NOT Criss........

From the sounds of her posts we have a "thinker" finally who seems willing to listen to what we're all trying to tell her!

Petaka

Nov 8, 2002
karmatico

To find that out, go to one of her posts, click on the button search right under it, and you will be taken to a list of all her posts.

karmatico

Feb 25, 2003
That's ok Petaka...I just want her to join us in this, 'cause after all she was the one who started it!
Anyway I think she doesn't like what we have said, and that she WILL send the money to that guy...

Status
Not open for further replies.