Canyoning near Punta Cana

Kirsten

Mar 3, 2003
Could anyone suggest a contact person/company for canyoning near punta cana? We have about 20 people interested in going in the middle of March. Thank you!

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Kirsten, I believe you are talking about water canyoning, sort of climbing to head of waterfalls and descending by line and harness This is the first time I have noticed it mentioned relating to the D.R. I do know you will not get this activity near Punta Cana. You may be able to arrange a tour from there to bring you and your group to other parts of the country, the mountains. I do not know for sure, it may require a guide and permit for public lands. I'll bet one of the other regular posters may have some more feedback regarding this. Regards, PJT

jojocho

Jul 10, 2002
Kirsten,

The Punta Cana area is as flat as a pancake, so as PJT mentioned you will not find this type of activities nearby. There are some cave tours that include rapelling and stuff like that.

For actual canyoning you would have to head up north. Jarabacoa is probably the most popular destination for this. I know that Rancho Baiguate offers this type of excursions. However, Jarabacoa is close to 5 hours away from Punta Cana.

Another good spot would be the Damajagua river, but Dolores has more information on this one than me.

Good luck!

Jojocho