hay mucha gente de los estados unidos

anitabonita

Mar 6, 2003
i just recently returned from my first trip to the dominican republic and have fallen in love with the place and the people. are there many americans living and working there? is it difficult?

i would really like to know because i felt so at home i have to go back.

:)

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
Hola! And WELCOME to DR1!!!

So tell us about your trip, where did you stay? North, South an AI?
I see it's your 2nd post. Have you read through some of the older Post's yet?

Yes there are many people from other country's living & working here. I am from NY, my Wife from NY, is a Dominican, and I'm working for the parent company in NY.

Again welcome
Tim & Mechi
H.

anitabonita

Mar 6, 2003
mi cuento

after more than a year without a vacation i was ready to get away... so on 2/23 my boyfriend and i woke up at 3:45 to be at the airport at 6am for our flight from chicago to miami. we took a limo. we were groggy. it was very cold. BUT i was very very excited.

it was my idea to visit the dominican republic for two main reasons:

1. i love to speak spanish (and i need the practice)
2. i love to dance merengue and salsa
3. i love the caribbean climate (warm weather and beaches)

when we arrived in miami i bought a book for beach reading called Travels by Michael Crichton. it's a great book. i highly recommend it.

we got on the plane to punta cana and wow i was amazed at how clear the sky is and how warm the weather was (a drastic change from the 12 degrees Fahrenheit in chicago).

we somehow managed to be patient enough to wait in line and purchase our tourist visas and get our luggage. once we were outside we could not find our driver. this was my first real challenge: how to communicate that we need a ride without attracting every taxi cab driver in the place. luckily we did not have to pay the quoted $80 for a ride from punta cana to coral canoa in bayahibe because our driver, Fidel (pero no soy castro me dijo), finally showed up. after a long confusing trip first to Breezes Sol de Plata (another story) and we finally arrived in Coral Canoa Hotel at approximately 9pm dominican time. Very tired but delighted with the room and the hotel grounds.

for two days we ate, we slept, we laid on the beach and drank pina coladas. i read my book. i danced in the disco. there were many people speaking either french or spanish everywhere.

then on the third night it happened. the night before i had been in the disco and had seen a really good looking guy (ok really there were several but this one in particular....) he was dancing with some of the other guests at the hotel and he danced merengue VERY well. muy sensual. i enjoyed watching him for a little while but thought nothing more about it. well this night, a very amusing Canadian man at the bar in the disco mistook me for una Dominicana (i am mixed and had a really dark tan by then) so he tries to talk to me. he introduces me to a Canadian couple. they start talking with me and my boyfriend. amidst all the alcohol and laughter here comes the good looking guy and he stands right next to me at the bar. i start a conversation. (voy a llamarlo el padrino) he speaks some english but we talk in spanish so that i can practice (ok i admit it was also because my boyfriend is standing next to me and i don't want him to understand). from there the canadian girl and i go to the dance floor and he helps us to convince the dj to play the music we like to hear.

later that night my boyfriend and i left with the canadian couple for a walk along the beach but i kept thinking about el padrino. muy atractivo, muy simpatico, and a very good dancer. mmmmm....

well as destino would have it, my boyfriend became sick the next day. he was very tired and did not want to leave the room. i was sitting out at the pool by myself. el padrino shows up and there we are sitting and talking again. the more we talk, the more we flirt. my conscience takes over and i go to the room to convince my boyfriend to come outside. he is still too sick and only wants to sleep. i cannot tell him that i want him to sit outside with me (because i do but i don't, ya know??). i go for a walk. i get something to eat for lunch. i go back to the room and take a shower. i go for another walk. i see el padrino again, this time with no shirt on. ay ay ay. we talk for awhile. he tells me there is a big party on the beach in the afternoon. finally my boyfriend comes out. we see the canadian couple and sit and talk and eat together. there are games and dancing on the beach. i look out and see....yes there he is. el padrino mi carino. uh oh. i hear myself tell the others i am going down to dance and play games. i need to get away from everyone because my heart is racing and the truth is becoming more and more clear to me....

before this vacation my boyfriend and i had been having some problems. he had a very different personality than me. he was mostly quiet and serious. i am mostly talkative and love to laugh. el no tiene ritmo por nada. me gusta bailar mucho. y mas.... the differences were somewhat bad when we were both working but here and now on vacation they were pulling us further and further apart. simply put i knew the truth... he was in love and i was not.

i had to do something....

the whole thing came out on our last night in the resort. by this time el padrino and i had realized we liked each other but could do nothing about it. (i am a good girl). we were sad. my boyfriend is anxious because he knows what is happening in some way. he decides to leave me in the disco and goes back to the room. i dance with a few guys while he is gone. my boyfriend comes back. i leave the disco to got to the restroom. el padrino leaves behind me. after we are outside el padrino takes me in his arms and kisses me. we both get scared and leave. i feel very guilty.

that night i confess everything to my boyfriend including my real feelings. we agree to separate as friends.

the next day i kiss el padrino again to say goodbye. we exchange information. he calls me the next day. i call him the day after.

now i am going back down to be with him for awhile. we'll see where it goes... but honestly i feel i am in love. if things go well, and i think they will, i will live there one day.

and that my friends is the whole story. i had to tell someone. if you've had the patience to read this whole thing, then you probably understand my experience.

btw, the hotel was great! beautiful and clean. the staff is very helpful and nice. the rooms are a decent size and the food is very good.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Is this for real, or another hoax? I am very suspicious of posts like this from newcomers to the board.

Assuming you are for real, anitabonita, then read the threads in the "Men from Mars and women from Venus" section started by starry-eyed women like yourself, and frequently responded to by women who are able to see the glib talk and the practiced way with women for what it is.

AtlantaBob

Jan 2, 2002
OK, so was el padrino a guest of the AI or was he a sanki, uh, I mean employee of the resort?

anitabonita

Mar 6, 2003
wait a minute

i appreciate your concern....

but naive as it might sound i believe this is for real. but i really do want to know more about DR living and working as a foreigner. i am very well travelled and have never found a place where i feel so at home as DR.

i would go back regardless of whether el padrino was there. :)

anita

p.s. sorry if the post was a little too romantic... i guess i got carried away.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Sounds like an original story to me. Now I get to handle it? LOL

Anita hit the search button. Tons of info for what you're looking for but do go back many times before you move there and do get out of the resort as well.

Last edited:

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
I propose...

That the government "oficialize" all the "sankie" professionals...

They should be another one of the countries "resources"...

Man, are they good or what? Even when the girls bring their boyfriends they manage to make them fall in love!!!

Seriously, anita...I was picturing the whole thing in my head as I was reading your post...I could only imagine what you must have been feeling...having your boyfriend there and "el padrino" just feet away...

Pobrecita...decisions, decisions...

I just hope you really take your time, don't do anything drastic...Read all the posts on the subject...We've ALL fallen for the stories, in one way or another...No matter what anybody says...

Take care, and I hope it works out fine for you!

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
No No No!!!!

When I said I agree with Ken, it was just on the part about moving the post to this forum. I do belive that it's possible for anyone to fall in love anywhere at anytime.

anitabonita
I still welcome you to DR1.

Tim H.

Petaka

Nov 8, 2002
Oh, oh!

I don't think the moderator likes the words sanki/puta. I wonder if she accepts the term Sex Engineers ?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Ok you guys when I said I didn't want to hear the sankie/puta term I was refering to my thread called "positives stories only" I don't care what you say in any other thread.

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
I can hear Criss Colon from here!

Anna Coniglio
I don't care what you say in any other thread.

And it sounds like the pounding the keyboard is getting, is heck of a work out!

Tim H.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Stop gloating, Tim

You sound like the moderator of the Living section who was able to shift this thread to someone else.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I guess I am just a "sucker" for a "Romantic" story!

"Anitabonita La Traicionera" we can call this story!!! Lets see,you come to the Dominican Republic with your boyfriend for a "romantic" vacation.You see ssome dominican guys,and you like what you see.Your boyfriend is sick.You see "The Godfather",he turns you on.Now you "realize" that the guy who "Brung Ya" ,ain't the guy you want to go home with.You give your boyfriend the boot.You really didn't want him anyway.You can't wait to return to the "God Father"who is at this minute being "so Sexy" with another girl from "NorthAmerica"! How "Ffucking Romantic"is that? I think that your "Boyfriend" should thank God to be done with you!He is the real winner in this ""Novela"! CRIS

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Let me rephase that:

I don't care if the term sankie/puta is used in any other thread except the one called " Posivite stories only" Ok ? is that better?

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
This is a prime example......

All of you american guys have been fooled into acting like a pariguayo (a gentleman), thinking women love nice guys. All bullcrap, they like completely the opposite. In anita-putita's case (just like in many other lost girls' cases in DR) they like men to be strong, muscular, no education, no real job and no knowledge of anything besides dancing and staying fit.
She knows real well this guy is a sankie, sweet talker. She likes the fact many girls are after him and for that reason she wants to win him over. Then she moves there and invests all her money and emotions on a total loser. Then she gets pregnant by him and he takes off with a younger girl or another anitabonita from the same resort. Then she acts like a total innocent victim.
Please save your sobbing tales for another fool. We have seen many like you come and go.
The nice loving hollywood gentleman stays alone while Mr. padrino rocks his boat.
So much for being a gentleman.
AnitaGordita, you better not pull the same stunt on a dominican tigre like Mr. padrino. he will beat your fat ass all the way to chicago in a yola. No wonder some many women get abused by DR men.

Petaka

Nov 8, 2002
Anna Coniglio said:
Let me rephase that:

I don't care if the term sankie/puta is used in any other thread except the one called " Posivite stories only" Ok ? is that better?

Loud and clear, Anna!;)

anitabonita

Mar 6, 2003
Re: This is a prime example......

excuse me. i don't know you but you seem very rude and angry. did something happen to you to make you so bitter? if so, i'm sorry for that... however the truth is that all is fair in love... i cannot help how i feel but i am always honest with people about it.

as for your underlying concern... el padrino is university educated and has a very gentle and kind nature. no one in this world is completely without blame or regrets in life...but ideally we all find our way some day.

AZB said:
All of you american guys have been fooled into acting like a pariguayo (a gentleman), thinking women love nice guys. All bullcrap, they like completely the opposite. In anita-putita's case (just like in many other lost girls' cases in DR) they like men to be strong, muscular, no education, no real job and no knowledge of anything besides dancing and staying fit.
She knows real well this guy is a sankie, sweet talker. She likes the fact many girls are after him and for that reason she wants to win him over. Then she moves there and invests all her money and emotions on a total loser. Then she gets pregnant by him and he takes off with a younger girl or another anitabonita from the same resort. Then she acts like a total innocent victim.
Please save your sobbing tales for another fool. We have seen many like you come and go.
The nice loving hollywood gentleman stays alone while Mr. padrino rocks his boat.
So much for being a gentleman.
AnitaGordita, you better not pull the same stunt on a dominican tigre like Mr. padrino. he will beat your fat ass all the way to chicago in a yola. No wonder some many women get abused by DR men.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
I think that your "Boyfriend" should thank God to be done with you!He is the real winner in this ""Novela"! CRIS

I agree.Too bd you x-boyfriend didnt have the sense to go find a good cheap puta while you were drooling over the "charming" dirty sanki.
Larry