Comprehensive listing of Santo Domingo "Derecho" routes

Formosano2000

Mar 5, 2003
Since traveling by "derechos" or "carros p?blicos" is cheap and efficient for carless foreigners and locals alike, I thought I'd gather everybody's input for a comprehensive compilation.

Here are routes I'm aware of, please feel free to add and correct:

---------

On Bolivar:

West Bound: From Parque Independencia all the way to the west end of Romulo Betancourt.

East Bound: From the west end of Romulo Betancourt to Churchill, going south, then heading eastward on Ave. Independencia back to Parque Independencia.

On Ave. 27 de Febrero:

West Bound: From end to end.

East Bound: From end to end.

On Ave. Lincoln:

I think there is only south bound on this one. Correct ?

On Ave. Independencia:

It's una via, so only eastbound from ???? all the way to Parque Independencia.

On "subiendo Gomez" route:

From Parque Independencia westward to Maximo Gomez, and then upward to........ ??

I know there are a lot more routes, but these are the ones I'm familiar with.

Let's all pitch in and piece the puzzles together.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Formosano2000 said:
Since traveling by "derechos" or "carros p?blicos" is cheap and efficient for carless foreigners and locals alike,

Cheap yes!
Efficient? It is probobly the most inefficient form of mass transit there is. Not to mention uncomfortable and potentially dangerous.

Formosano2000

Mar 5, 2003
OK, safe it may not be, but I still think it's highly efficient, because:

1. You almost never have to wait long to flag down a derecho.
2. If you know the routes and plan around them, it's not significantly slower than hiring a taxi to get to where you want to go.

(By nature of its capacity, a derecho won't stop as often as a regular bus and thus is much faster. At the same time, most derechos are in terrible shape so the driver is actually not hell-bent on reckless driving for fear of literally disintegrating their vehicles)

Would anybody want to add to the routes ? I'm sure there are many more in Santo Domingo.

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
I was trying to make a little map of the routes but its almost impossible to0 get the info. I've asked people and when I mark the route someone says one is wrong and doesn't go that way. So I just don't know. Also the cars will go on a different route sometimes. I know the basic routs. Pretty much the ones that already hhave been mentioned. Been here over a year now and still can't get them straight!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
What would also be useful would be a glossary of all the hand signals, and while we're at it the political party ones too.

Any takers?

Chiri

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Isn't Independencea

Two way from the Hotel Santo Domingo (Abraham Lincoln) West?
And we call them "Conchos" never derechos...Sometimes we call them "P?blicos" ...

HB

Last edited:

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Re: Isn't Independencea

Hillbilly said:
Two way from the Hotel Santo Domingo (Abraham Lincoln) West?
HB

It is a little bit further west, about 1 km, where Independicia becomes a two-way. The Independcia gua-guas transiting from the city center cross Abraham Lincoln just north of the Hispaniola Hotel onto Bernado Correa y Cidron which runs parallel to Independcia. They then turn left onto Av Italia and Av Italia intersects with Independcia at the point where the Independencia two-way begins. Regards, PJT

eboy

Feb 26, 2003
SD Transit: call it what you will...

I went hunting, and I think this is the map of some the routes:
http://www.amet.gov.do/corredores/index.html

(Newbie info: www.dr1.com/travel/expect/transportation.shtml)

Are we agreed, at least, that the carros p?blicos/conchos/derechos/carritos (shared taxis) and the gua-guas (private bus/mini-van) travel on pretty well every major street?
-That the p?blicos currently cost 6 and the gua-guas are 6, (or 5)?
-That the OMSA city buses cost 3 for non-air and 10 for air, and that they cover only the most major streets (2002 map available -- for viewing only -- inside the El Conde police station -- SEE BOTTOM).
-That all of the above stop running around 7pm-ish?
-That after that, call a regular taxi, and that it should never exceed 100 pesos, including an informal/voluntary gas surcharge? But what is a ?tourist taxi?...?
-That Chiri will earn an honorary doctorate for cataloguing the hand gestures?

The department that appears to oversees SD transport, AMET, (info@amet.gov.do) admitted this bit of honesty at http://amet.gov.do/... ?En cuanto al transporte, contamos con servicios deficitarios, los veh?culos son antiguos y est?n en mal estado.?

THE PUBLICO ROUTES:
Somebody have a look at www.amet.gov.do/corredores/index.html
and compare with the routes below:

-Zona Colonial:
A route comes south on Duarte just south of Av. Mexico, east on Mella, follows Meri?o south, turns west a few streets south of el Conde and comes up Mincado past the Parque Independencia, perhaps looping back to Duarte...

-Duarte:
The map looks to be correct, except south of Parque Henriquillo, they may head in various directions, necessitating the gestures or pointing your hand, or asking...

-On Bolivar:

WB: From Parque Independencia all the way to the west end of Romulo Betancourt.
EB: From the west end of Romulo Betancourt to Churchill, going south, then heading eastward on Ave. Independencia back to Parque Independencia.

-On Ave. 27 de Febrero:

West Bound: From end to end.
East Bound: From end to end.

-On Ave. Lincoln:

I think there is only south bound on this one. Correct ?

-On Ave. Independencia:

It's una via, so only eastbound from ???? all the way to Parque Independencia. Two way from the Hotel Santo Domingo (Abraham Lincoln) West?
The Independencia gua-guas transiting from the city center cross Abraham Lincoln just north of the Hispaniola Hotel onto Bernado Correa y Cidron which runs parallel to Independencia. They then turn left onto Av Italia and Av Italia intersects with Independencia at the point where the Independencia two-way begins.

-On "subiendo Gomez" route:

From Parque Independencia westward to Maximo Gomez, and then upward to........ ??

OMSA CITY BUS ROUTES:
Descriptions and some maps at: www.omsa.gov.do/slocal.htm

Corredor 27 DE FEBRERO tiene su origen en el cruce de manoguayabo y como destino final el parque Los Tres Ojos
Corredor NORTE (John F. Kennedy) con origen en la terminal de OMSA EN EL Km. 9 1/2 de la autopista Duarte, y destino el Tamarindo
Corredor OESTE (Los Alcarrizos-AV. Luperon) Con origen en el hospital Alcarrizos, y destino Av. Luper?n esquina Av. Independencia.
Corredor CENTRAL (M?ximo G?mez)
Su recorrido de N-S es: Origen-Av. Hermanas Mirabal-Av. M?ximo G?mez-Av.Correa y Cidr?n-Av. Abraham Lincoln-Calle Paul Harris-Destino.
De S-N el recorrido es : Origen-Av.Independencia-Av.M?ximo G?mez-Av.Hermanas Mirabal-Destino.
Corredor SUR (Avenida Independencia) desde el Hipodromo V Centenario hasta el muelle de Haina.
Corredor NU?EZ DE CACERES
Corredor CHURCILL desde los Rios hasta el Km. 13 de Haina.
Corredor NACO comienza y termina en la terminal OMSA_del Km. 9 1/2 de la Atop. Duarte.
Corredor CHARLES DE GAULLE comienza en la_terminal Hipodromo V Centenario y Termina en la Av. Jacobo Majluta.

-that was fun... if I had this info before I left...
e :cross-eye :bunny:

Cindyee

Oct 7, 2004
Any changes?

I'm just wondering if any of these routes have changed since the last post?

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
Prices have changed a bit: the standard price is ten pesos, but if you head on the Bolivar "derecho" route straight to the other side of the city you have to pay double: 20 pesos. It is ten pesos to la Churchill and another ten on crossing to the other side (la Betancourt). Once when I was returning along that route, the guy charged me an extra two pesos (total: 22) and some of these guys will do that, and so far as I can tell it is legit. Gas prices went up at about that time, and some of the conchistas were charging a bit more. I havent had that happen since.

On the Bolivar there are three routes: derecho (straight along bolivar and betancourt); subiendo, or subiendo la Gomez (straight along Bolivar until you reach Gomez, then up the Gomez to where it meets the Ovando. These Conchos return along the Ovando to the Duarte and descend along that route); bajando, or what is called "Marion Feria" (straight along the bolivar, forking off to the left when they come to the little plaza on the Gomez, then down the Gomez to Fiallo Cabral/Correa y Cidron travelling west past the UASD and on to the govt administration offices).

The hand signals are as follow: if you are going derecho, you point your index finger down at the ground and wiggle it back and forth. If you are subiendo, you stick your thumb out in a northerly direction (at right angles to the direction of the Bolivar) -- some people hold their hand up in front of their chest, some more to the ground. If you are bajando you usually just point with the index finger in a southerly direction. The Conchistas follow suit: if they are heading derecho, they will be pointing their index finger straight ahead, if subiendo, they sometimes hook their arm over the cab roof, and if bajando, they stick the finger out in a southerly direction.

Almost all the main avenues have concho routes, but there are places where they are lacking. YOu can descend Lincoln, but if you are above the fork where Lincoln and lope de Vega diverge, you will have to descend along the latter.

27 de Febrero is not necessarily end to end. some head to the Duarte, and some to the Gomez.

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
Does anyone know how far/from which point most of the guaguas/publicos on the Independencia route go? Av. Luperon, or Rio Haina, or even further?

franberu

Apr 5, 2002
A road map for Los Alcarrizos

I've been trying to find a road map for the streets of Los AlcARRIZOS for the last three weeks. I had a hope when I found here links with OMSA and AMET but all these links were leading to an error page.

If someone can help I would be very gratefull.

franberu

Apr 5, 2002
Sorry to bather you again!

I am not very familiar with Acrobat Reader.....When I use the 300% view can I print it like it appears on the screen?