Superclub Breezes Punta Cana

trishdeyar

Oct 16, 2002
www.hiddenhilltop.com
Feb 16 - March 2

We traveled to DR, leaving at 6:30 am on Feb 16 from NS. Flight down was uneventful and we arrived at the resort around noon. Our room was ready when we got there but we had to go back to get our safe key & remote (they want to put you into computer system before issuing these we were told). We had room 2204 for the first part of our trip, we moved to Occidental Flamenco for three. Our room was dated, as others have stated, but clean. Our maid was wonderful and our room was cleaned with fresh towels by 9:30 a.m. each day. We left trinkets and $2/daily for her and had wonderful service.

The grounds are beautiful, we took a walk completed around the property and got a lot of great photos. IN back of building one there is a definite smell of sewage but we did not have any odor in our room at all. Sometimes in early evening when the air started to cool you could smell it slightly when walking around.

We booked into the Japanese, Italian and Mexican restaurants. Loved the Japanese, it was entertaining as well as being delicious. The Italian was very flavorful, the staff at both restaurants were great. The Mexican was good, however I had it my mind what type of Mexican food I wanted and this was not it, so, although tasty I didn?t enjoy it as much. I would recommend allowing at least 2 hours any time you go to an a-la-carte.

Bars were great ? we never had a problem getting served or getting the drinks we had. I definitely enjoyed drinking out of the glass as opposed to the plastic and they would give you glass during the day if you ask but they will tell you to drink there as opposed to walking around.

Food was good ? lots of it, good variety ? breakfast was my favorite, food by far superior to any other resort I have been to. We ate lunch at the Marlin Pool Restaurant, they had wonderful fries and great hamburgers. You are able to make a grilled cheese sand if you want. We did have pizza at the Fruit Bar but I wasn?t cracked up over it. Lots of fruit everywhere and desserts were amazing!

We did experience quite a bit of illness during our stay ? there was a large group there while we were there and a number of them got sick as did all of us. Various stages from listlessness to full blown keep you in bed all day type illness. No one let this take over their vacation however, we got over it and carried on. Don?t know what caused it, if it was food, water or a flu bug we brought with us.

We booked Bavaro Runners while there ? that was the day I missed due to illness but the party I was traveling with said it was enjoyable. Last year we did Outback Safari and my partner said he preferred that trip. He didn?t enjoy the kids running after the bus looking for treats. Outback Safari discourages the customers passing out treats, they take them and distribute them on your behalf.

We went to the flea market and got some great deals ? had to bargain for sure! I always cut the price down to a third of whatever they asked and started from there. I traded a coffee mug the last day I was there. We dealt a lot with ?Eddie? who had the last shop on the beach. We found his prices to be really good. We purchased two prints, three sets of leather coasters, three necklaces, and a small leather/glass glass/shooter set for 45US. Rum we paid $4-5/bottle for Brugal. We did buy a bottle of 151 but had that taken from us at the airport.

Entertainment was fantastic! Each day the animation staff kept everyone busy both at the pool and at the beach. The shows were great a lot of fun with audience participation then great dancing by the staff. We went to the disco quite a bit but always left after the club dance as it turned to techno music after that and we don?t enjoy that music. There is rock climbing, trapeze, trampoline, skating and tons of water activities. Absolutely no reason for a person to get bored here! Evenings found the lobbies packed with music, decorations and dancing. It almost got overwhelming at times how much stuff was going on!

The beach and pool was beautiful ? people are right you do have to get your seat early if you want one, real early if you want shade ? we never got shade. We would be out by pool by 8:00 am and could find a chair ? all were gone by 9. There were chairs that were ?reserved? all day and no one would sit in them, a frustrating experience that caused a fight between two groups of people. Apparently one group ?reserved? their pool chairs and then left to wander for hours. I don?t believe in this practice, especially if a person reserved at both the beach and the pool. We would reserve at the pool but would stay there for the most part, if we chose to move to beach we moved completely.

A group of about 10 of us took a cab into Bavaro Plaza on Saturday night and spent a few hours at a little bar there (not sure of name) .. we had a great time there.

We took advantage of their offer to move to another resort for 3 days and will post a short review under the Occidental Flamenco Resort.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay at Breezes ? we preferred Breezes over Flamenco for the primary reason that Breezes had a lot of activity going on all the time but overall loved our vacation