Aa Jfk-puj

latinaviation

Jan 6, 2002
Hi all,

Just returned from a week in Punta Cana with my fiancee. We took AA JFK-PUJ-JFK in Business Class with frequent flyer miles. Some highlights/notes:

* Flight was full in Y in both directions, about half full in Business Class - AA's 757s are configured for 22J/154Y;

* They staff the flight with 5 flight attendants JFK-PUJ with a breakfast service and 6 flight attendants PUJ-JFK, when they serve lunch. The addt'l flight attendant deadheads down on the JFK-PUJ segment. Get this - the crew that worked this trip flew JFk-PUJ-JFK-BDA in one day - that's about 13 hours wourth of flying - a long day!

* JFK was ok, easy to get through customs. Leaving JFK in the morning was packed. AA has this Caribbean mega bank that leaves right around 8am - flights to SDQ, STI, POP, PAP, SJU, SJO, STT, SXM, AUA all left around the same time, plus flights to LAX, SFO, LHR.

PUJ is beautiful airport. We saw Air Columbus 727, Southeast MD-80, Lauda Italy 767, Condor 767, USA 3000 A-320, US Airways A-319, 2x AA 757, Ryan Air A-320.

Anyone know which airline uses the VIP Lounge in PUJ?

Back to the real world, ugh :-(

GRS

Jan 2, 2002
PUJ

I was in PUJ last week also. I flew business (upgraded from a B fare) to MIA. Flight was half full, and in F everybody was upgraded, although only 4 or 5 people. Airlines that use the VIP lounge are Condor, LTU, Martinair, Lanchile and a couple more. TWA used to have it, but AA doesn't have access, I guess they don't want to pay for it.

Last month, I flew again MIA-PUJ, F was empty and I didn't upgrade, though they upgrade like 3 non-revs which didn't even work for AA. That was before the new rules of B and Y getting complimentary upgrades. Why does AA prefers to leave F empty when they have elite people flying with them?