New immigration rules for Canada

Lore

Mar 9, 2003
Is there someone that has had any recent experience in immigrating from DR to Canada since the new rules came into effect July 2002? Is it harder/easier? Apparently one of the changes is that the "responsiblity" period has dropped from 10 years to 3. My other question is, has anyone ever simply had a visitors visa issued. A lot of talk on this site has to do with marriage. However, in my case, I am in a work-in-process relationship and my friend would like to visit Canada to simply see the country and down the road if things progress then to apply as an immigrant. He has already figured that it would probably be best to apply for a "multiple-entry" visa rather than "single" as it at least helps to show his intention to return to the DR, which is completely legit. Any comments or suggestions on where I may be going wrong will be greatly appreciated.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
HI Wud! Nope, it is definitely Canada that prevents DR citizens from entering. Unless your Dominican friend has very strong ties to the DR (ie...he is a business owner, owns a house, has lots of money in the bank and it has been there over a long period of time, etc), it is nearly impossible for him to get a visitor's visa. They need to prove they have something to return to the DR for. My guess is that if he has a Canadian girlfriend, they're going to look at the application extra carefully. They don't want people staying illegally.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Trina is right wud it's Canada that approves visas or denies them. What makes you think Canada is so easy to get into (legally that is) ? Have you ever read the rules? If you can't convience Canada that you have something worth while to return to, it will be denied.

Last edited:

Lore

Mar 9, 2003
Thanks for the info. I was PM'd by a couple of other members who also offered some good tips. I have just today printed off all 449 pages of the new Immigration Regulations (Jly 2002) and will start some "light" ha ha reading. So, between any new revelations there and your help I am very grateful.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Lore after you finish reading can you keep us posted with the results and also how the application is coming along so we can use it in future to inform others.

Lore

Mar 9, 2003
No problem, but it may take a bit. Government mumbo jumbo is not speed reading material at the best of times, but I'll share anything I find. Also as things progress paperworkwise with the other I will let you know either the good or the bad.
I don't think I mentioned in my original post but he already has his passport - one down! and I am working on letters. I already have three written up as formal invitations to visit. We'll see what happens from here on.

michelle2504

Jan 29, 2003
Lore,

I have been through the whole process. We applied for a visitor's visa for my husband twice while we were living in the DR.
1st time he did not get the visa, 2nd time he got a 6 month multiple entry visitor visa, but I honestly think it was a gift from god.

Let me explain.. the reason he got the visa is because I met a canadian man who actually worked at the visa office in Haiti and while we were talking I explained to him that I was trying to get my husband to Canada. But the biggest coincidence was that he had family coming to the exact same resort where I worked.

I capitalized on that opportunity and told him that if he wanted to come and spend a few days (AI) I could get him an excellent rate and in return he told me to send all my husband's documents to him directly in Haiti.

One month later he called me to say he had awarded my husband a 6 month multiple entry visa. I could not believe it!

So as you can see we were EXTREMELY lucky.

We are currently residing in Ottawa, Ontario. On April 1st it will be my husband's 1 year anniversary of landing in Canada. He currently has a 1 year work visa and we are currently waiting for him to receive his permanent resident status. His papers are in Haiti or Santo Domingo now because his non accompaning dependant, his son needs to get a medical done in Santo Domingo before my husband receives his permanent resident status. We are very discouraged because it seems like everything has come to a standstill and we don't know what to do because we were told that we have to wait for someone to contact his family to bring his son to the medical. (he applied for permanent resident status in July 2002)

I hope that my post didn't discourage you but it's not an easy task to get a visitor visa.

Buena suerte,

Michelle

iceaelan

Mar 29, 2004
Hi Michelle,
I have a question for you. My husband and I are going through all the paperwork for immigration also. We are applying for his landed immigrant status. You mentioned that your husband has a non accompanying dependant (meaning a child who will not be coming to Canada right?)
How did this effect applying for his landed immigrant status? Did this delay anything for you guys?

My husband also has a similar situation, he has a son that will not be coming here and we had some concerns.

Thanks for your help:)

michelle2504 said:
Lore,

I have been through the whole process. We applied for a visitor's visa for my husband twice while we were living in the DR.
1st time he did not get the visa, 2nd time he got a 6 month multiple entry visitor visa, but I honestly think it was a gift from god.

Let me explain.. the reason he got the visa is because I met a canadian man who actually worked at the visa office in Haiti and while we were talking I explained to him that I was trying to get my husband to Canada. But the biggest coincidence was that he had family coming to the exact same resort where I worked.

I capitalized on that opportunity and told him that if he wanted to come and spend a few days (AI) I could get him an excellent rate and in return he told me to send all my husband's documents to him directly in Haiti.

One month later he called me to say he had awarded my husband a 6 month multiple entry visa. I could not believe it!

So as you can see we were EXTREMELY lucky.

We are currently residing in Ottawa, Ontario. On April 1st it will be my husband's 1 year anniversary of landing in Canada. He currently has a 1 year work visa and we are currently waiting for him to receive his permanent resident status. His papers are in Haiti or Santo Domingo now because his non accompaning dependant, his son needs to get a medical done in Santo Domingo before my husband receives his permanent resident status. We are very discouraged because it seems like everything has come to a standstill and we don't know what to do because we were told that we have to wait for someone to contact his family to bring his son to the medical. (he applied for permanent resident status in July 2002)

I hope that my post didn't discourage you but it's not an easy task to get a visitor visa.

Buena suerte,

Michelle

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
I don't think your husband's son will speed up or slow down the process at all. I sponsored my stepson, and I didn't seem to make a difference in processing times. Make sure when you send the paperwork, you don't forget ANYTHING. Later, you have to have medicals (and I believe passports, as well) done for the children, whether or not they are coming to live with you in Canada.

See this thread, amongst much more helpful information upon doing a search on DR1:

http://www.dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?p=187087#post187087

Best of luck!