internet releabilty or satelite connection via Starband(usa)

gully

Mar 9, 2003
www.daytradebroadcasts.com
Im returning to DR ASAP, I earn my living now daytrading via the internet,where i also do a running commentary showing others where also to trade..

I was waiting for news that universal efficient internet was availble,the recent new STARBAND broadband satelite connection is promising..but till then how easy is it to get and stay connected to internet in DR,both in urban SD and elsewhere less urban..

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I live in Sosua and have DSL. It is quite reliable. That isn't to say we never have outages, some very brief, some longer, but on whole it is quite reliable. I would think service from Santo Domingo might be even better since there are more options available.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
gully said:
Im returning to DR ASAP, I earn my living now daytrading via the internet,where i also do a running commentary showing others where also to trade..

I was waiting for news that universal efficient internet was availble,the recent new STARBAND broadband satelite connection is promising..but till then how easy is it to get and stay connected to internet in DR,both in urban SD and elsewhere less urban..

DSL is way better than Starband. I was on Starband beta testing team before it was even called Starband. It was "Gilat at Home" when I started with them.

DSL is way more reliable for what you do. Surprised that is how you make your living though. Since the market shit the bed daytraders went the way of the Edsel for the most part. Only thing I have played with in a few years is REITS.

You can get pretty high interest in the DR so you may even want to rethink that:)

Regards,
Scott

sjh

aka - shadley
Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
depending on your exact style of trading, a dish might not work for you as there is a 1-2 second latency (delay)... This is not commonly reported in glossy little booklets advertising such services...

gully

Mar 9, 2003
starband

Its Ok even for our very fast market..i have 5 students trading S@P futures(the fastest market).Its already a boon to folks living in remote USA thru choice, now I need the same ease in a place of my choosing..soon we can live anywhere and work from there,ultimate reality game..thanks for your info...

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
Hola Gully!

At home, I have DSL, I have never had a problem with it.
At work, we have a T1 line, also no problems with that.

And

Welcome to DR1!! :classic: :classic: :cool: :cool: :cheeky:

Thanks
Tim H.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
tricom beats codetel for reliability

Tricom now offers a dsl connection that I find more reliable than Codetel's, less down time, but I still have had some problems, like when they changed the IP of their DNS server and gave eveybody the new IP with some digits transposed.

I do some light IT support for various free zone concerns and also own an internet cafe, and my own experience with satelite was a nightmare. As much as I hate Codetel (for unreasonable personal reasons mostly) they are better than the satelite connection I played around with.

If you need an emergency backup I suggest you get DSL from either Codetel or Tricom and then keep on hand a dialup number plus username and password for whichever company you don't choose for bradband. That way if you need to make an emergency trade during an outage you should be covered.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
sjh,
depending on your exact style of trading, a dish might not work for you as there is a 1-2 second latency (delay)... This is not commonly reported in glossy little booklets advertising such services...

This is not strictly speaking accurate. In terms of latency with VSat Technology the Hughes satellites have a policy that is called a "Fair Use" policy. If you exceed what is considered fair use, according to the connectivity package that you bought, you will bumped to the end of the line on uplink requests. The uplink speed (say you bought 56k) usually hovers between 50k and bursts to 128k.

MrMike,
...my own experience with satelite was a nightmare
Satellite technology that is improperly implemented is truly a nightmare. There are very reliable providers nowadays and the technology has matured. We run a number of installations over a number of Caribbean Islands and we have very few problems. The easiest support job I've ever done. In fact, my own installation (Cabarete) has been stable since mid-November last year. I have had no outages whatsoever with signal strength exceeding 80 as the norm. Any of you remember the heavy downpours we had in January. I worked right through the rain and cloud with signal strength deteriorating to 68 minimum. Again, the fellow on the corner with a satellite antenna without the necessary training and field experience will produce a nightmare. This technology needs to be properly implemented with a reputable service provider, pointing to the correct satellite for the area - then it works exceedingly well.

There are benefits to this technology that are not usually part of a DSL/Cable Modem or ISDN technologies. Examples that come to mind is quite good Voice over IP and easily established Virual Private Networks. For me, its the next best thing to my own T1/T3 line which I cannot afford. Its all mine, I can hog all the bandwidth that I want to hog and if I mess up too badly, Hughes sends me to the back of the line and I have to wait a few miliseconds.

gully

Mar 9, 2003
many thanks to you expert satelite internet users..soon there will be continuous link via multiple sats..so no pointing..wow

Im surprised to learn that you have no bandwidth limitations,Id have expected the reverse,obviously when yu get a frequeny(channel connection) Its yours till you drop it..id have expected shared channels with limits on any one user .

It does seem that my dream of living in DR and earning via the internet as I currently do, is more likely to be sabotaged by poor electricity connection than phone or internet,,

Thanks for some amusing tales and good info

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
Load up with backup power supply. Even in a condo with generator you can get stuck without power. I'm trading on the currency market, all I'm using is Codetel's dial up (DSL is not available where I live). I do have a backup dial up connection, but
the phone line is not a problem. Codetel has a toll free number so I stay online 24 hrs a day, works fine.