Coral Marien (second trip)

johnsr

Bronze
Apr 13, 2002
Coral Marien (Second Trip)
In the last trip report I wrote, ?We just returned home from a week at the Coral Marien. In general it was one of the best vacations that we have taken in our 55 years.? I can say the same thing again for our last trip 2/22/03 ? 3/01/03.

Flights,
On our last trip in November the American Airlines direct flights from JFK in New York to Puerto Plata were only about 60-70% booked. This trip taking the same round trip flights we were 100% full with people on stand bye. A good sign for Dominican Tourism!

Resort,
The only problem was, I had booked a two-bedroom suite (Vacation Club) as we were traveling with my SIL and BIL. On arrival I was told my room was not available at that time. We were told that a one-bedroom suite was available and that the sleeper sofa, and a rollaway bed would be made up. Next day we were given a second ocean view one-bedroom suite, Can?t complain about that!
As usual the grounds and all the public areas were spotless. Housekeeping staff at the Marien and also at Coral Costa Caribe (three Trips) is excellent.
I should also mention that the Marien was over booked during the week and some guests were sent to other local resorts. This is a practice that I think SUCKS.

Chocolate Friends,
The best part of going back was the welcome we received from our friends, Deoris, Joseph, Gracie, Yajaira, Illiana, Christian, Freddie, Jimmie, and Juan Camilleo who unfortunately left the Marien shortly after our arrival. I know I forgot a few names, my apologies. Every one said ?Welcome Home? and that was, without a doubt, the way we felt!

Tours,
Thursday, 2/27/03 was Dominican Independence Day and a day that we spent with Martin Espinal a Taxi owner, guide, and friend. We first spent the morning in Puerto Plata touring the parts of the city we didn?t see last trip, buying stuff for the children and my sister in laws grand children. Next we went to the Cathedral in Central Park where a mass was underway to celebrate the Holiday. We then took the cable car up to the top of Mt. Isabella. What a great view from the top! Now it was off to Sosua and Cabarete with a stop in Martins Town to say hello to his lovely family. Took some pictures and enjoyed the stunning scenery of Sosua and Cabarete. Along the way we stopped at a super Mercado to pick up my supply of Santo Domingo Coffee (7 pounds), love the stuff! Thanks Martin, it was a great day!
Monday evening we had dinner at the Caf? Cito. Caf? Cito is located just across the road from Costa Dorado. Food and service were excellent. Prices are modest by US standards. We all enjoyed our meals and the rustic ambiance of the restaurant.

Food and Beverage,
As I mentioned in my last trip report food at the Coral Marien is I.M.O. very good to excellent. If you can?t find something you like at the Buffet or the Snack Bar you, not the resort have a problem!

Final Thoughts,
Yes, we felt as if we were home at the Coral Marien. Staff, from the guy that cleans up the leaves to the top of management all are helpful and friendly. My mouth gets tired from replying ?Olah? to every person I meet as I walk around the grounds. We are now going through a period of post Puerta Plata Blues. The only known remedy for this common malady is to plan another trip. I think I will take the medicine and plan to return in the middle of May!!
If there are any questones, feel free to email me.
jblersch@optonline.net
John
:cool:

Last edited: