Prostitution in DR

Status
Not open for further replies.

lalla

Bronze
Mar 10, 2003
I just had a conversation with my husband in regards to this...i am sure the topic has been discussed a MILLION times on here....but i would love to get "opinions" on how everyone views our problem in our country...we are both from DR, born there but both raised here.....

My viewpoint: i think it is disgusting that prositution is "promoted" and i feel as though these men only go to DR for that reason, to PRAY on these women that have little recourses and would do anything for money, these men KNOW this and yes, they EXPLOIT these women by offering them things....however, i think the women are to blame as well, just as much...there are MANY women in DR that are of little recourses yet they find other ways to fend for themselves and feed their families WITHOUT have to resort to selling their bodies....

My husband however sees the issue of it being mostly these "white men" that use OUR country as a prositution haven, where they go to EXPLOIT the less fortunate and they are to blame for the "dream" they sell these women.....

comments?

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
confused

white men" that use OUR country as a prositution haven, where they go to EXPLOIT the less fortunate and they are to blame for the "dream" they sell these women..--Lallapaluzza

What dream are the "white men" selling these women?Please explain.

PRAY on these women -lallapaluzza

I dont PRAY to them I only PRAY do God.

Your post is quite confusing Lallapaluzza.
Larry

salito123

Mar 10, 2003
I see it like this

The whore is a whore is a whore.........YOU know what i mean

Now I do feel strongly about prostitution and the way that my country is being advertised amongs men that take trips to foreign countries with the sole purpose of exploiting the local population...

I don't feel sorry for a damn hooker, what ever to each his own, but i do feel strongly about people coming to a message board and basically advertising it and giving the world the idea that MY country is a prostitution haven, especially here on the NET for millions to view, what impression does this give casual viewers and what sort of message does it send?

it leads me to ask this questions, what is the overall purpose of this forum?

lalla

Bronze
Mar 10, 2003
larry....

I meant PREY, that was a typo.....

i dont think i need to explain myself, i think u and whoever reads this know what i mean, and i didnt mean to STEREOTYPE the white man...apologies....i should've said FOREIGN men.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Perspective

It is estimated that there are about 200k prostitutes working in the Dominican Republic and 50k Domnican prostitutes working abroad at a given moment. This makes the DR the 3rd largest exporter of sex workers in the world, with only the Philippines and Thailand making larger "contributions" to the sex industry.

Even with all of that Prostitution is illegal here, and is expressly forbidden in the constitution. I don't think foreigners are to blame, there are many countries in worse shape economically that don't rely as heavily on prostitution to bridge the gap.

salito123

Mar 10, 2003
uh yeah, that may be true.......and i do not have statistics to argue the point, matter of fact, i totally believe it,

but don't you think this is due to exploitation?

people are gonna get into what ever bussiness is paying, i doubt these women are debating whether to become scientist or hookers.......... they are taking the easiest route available to them, and with foreign men soliciting them and flashing money in the faces of people that don't have none, i think the choice becomes quite clear...........once again, a whore is a whore and i don't feel and ounce of pity for them, but its still does not change the fact that its exploitation.............

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
you may want to check the statistics

I believe I got these statistics from NOW which is obviously fairly biased regarding women's issues and their definition of a prostitute may differ from yours of mine, however it seems about right.

As far as whether it is exploitation or not, I don't know, I can't really make a call about that - the cases I've known about first hand were clearly matters of exploitation, however the exploiter is generally the pimp, not the clients. It seems most women get involved in prostitution by falling into debt to loan sharks and then have to work of the interest rates similar to something you'd see on "The Sopranos" or something. I think the popular Dominican practice of loan-sharking may be one of the biggest contributing factors, put that together with the starry-eyed naivete of young Dominican country girls and the old-world mistress customs still being practiced and I guess you have a recipe for rampant prostitution. Not so much direct exploitation as an unfortunate case of all the wrong ingredients being there.

Like I said, there are many other countries in worse shape financially, somehow they manage to address their daily living problems without walking the streets in droves so it may be a local phenomenon.

salito123

Mar 10, 2003
exploitation by the pimp, exploitation by the foreigner still equals exploitation, bottom line, there snothing i can do about it, but is doesn't stop me from feeling teh way i do about men that go to DR for the sole purpose of engaging in the practice........

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
Of course they do...

It's called sex tourism. But by far the majority of the buying and selling of booty that goes on here is between locals, go to any nightclub that specializes in that kind of thing and you can count the foreigners on the fingers of one hand, usually looking very lost/drunk. They're not the ones that filled up the parking lot even though only about 1/4 of the clientele "anda montao" and the rest came in taxis.

AtlantaBob

Jan 2, 2002
My two cents...

I lived in the DR almost forty years ago, before all of the AI's and resorts, etc., before the DR became a major vacation destination for the Canucks and Europeans. There might not have been 200,000 pros, but they were on just about every corner of certain parts of town, hanging around colmados, and there were many bars which were actually whore houses. Hell, most bars were whore houses. And 98% of their customers were locals. So, believe me, these girls were doing it long before the "white" man showed up.

salito123

Mar 10, 2003
you are right for the most part, but I will have to disagree in part,
when i go to the tourist areas (I may be dominican but i am a tourist also since i don't live over there) 100 % of the PROSTITUTES where with foreigners.......

I know its the basic law of bussiness, SUPPLY AND DEMAND, if people would not want it, people would not supply it...... but like i said before, even though i can rant about it and blow a gasket throwing tantrums about that fact, i can't do anything about it, but its doesn't change that sick feeling i get when i see it........

salito123

Mar 10, 2003
AtlantaBob

your obsolutely right, but it doesn't take much......

just a few key strokes on a search engine and you will get hundreds of hits about "prostitution vacation packages"

i mean, is this what my country is known for, not for anything else?

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
That's cuz you were on the beach

Well maybe you can take some comfort in the fact that only the ugliest most hard-boiled semi over-the-hill prostitutes seem to hang out in the tourist areas, I mean you gotta drink several bottles of Brugal before they start looking good. They were all with foreigners because the Dominicans were too smart to go near them, and weren't about to pay for something they wouldn't take if it was free.

So it's not like the foreigners are making off with the best of your country, as usual they are overpaying for inferior goods. Also the police and local city officials whose job it is to keep these ladies off of the streets are probably ending up with a good chunk of the money, how else could they fail to notice that:

1)Protitution is illegal and...
2)Prostitutes are everywhere

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Tourists usually don't make use of the numerous "cabanas"

you see on the outskirts of EVERY town. Usually tourists don't have cars to travel to the cabanas if they even know what the cabanas are!!(Most tourists think they are a "camping" location or beach cottage like you find at home!).
We get the biggest kick out of taking visitors to see a cabana first hand and laugh like H**l at their reactions to them!!

salito123

Mar 10, 2003
true, i see your point

and I must agree since one thing that i learned from my father that he always stressed "be more careful about the police than of thieves"

so i guess i can see your point

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I suggest some of you become informed. Start by using the search function of this board.

1. Prostitution is NOT illegal in the DR. Pimping is.
2. Many WOMAN travel her for the sole purpose of paying for sex.
3. UNDERSTAND how prostitution works here, if you don't live it, don't talk about it.
4. Many DOMINICAN men visit and use prostitutes. Don't put all the blame on the foreigner.
5. Have you ever visited THAILAND, PHILIPPINES, BRAZIL, HOLLAND, GERMANY etc etc etc?

"whore is a whore", give me a break!
If I could find a stronger word than ignorant, I would use it...

salito123

Mar 10, 2003
hummmm

i'm at a lost

whore does not = prostitute?

and i have no problem with being labled ignorant, simply means not knowing......

stupid on the other hand...............

Last edited:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
salito123 said:
hummmm
i'm at a lost

whore does not = prostitute?

and i hav eno problem with being labled ignorant, simply means not knowing...... stupid on the other hand

I'm not disputing that the word "whore" means prostitute.

But, you didn't just say that. I knew exactly what you meant.

"The whore is a whore is a whore.........YOU know what i mean"

What would be interesting is your definition of a "whore".
And how that translates to some girl trying desperatly to cloth and feed her kid here in the DR.

As I said. UNDERSTAND how prostitution works here, if you don't live it, don't talk about it...

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
My two cents

For all the Dominicans that accuse foreigners of "exploiting" the Dominican prostitutes or coming down to the DR and "flashing" money and subsequently "causing" dominican girls to become prostitutes I really feel you have to turn your anger inward to your govt. instead of blaming tourists for the prostitution problem.If the Dominican govt. was not so corrupt and actually attempted to remedy the economic hardships on the poor,there would be more means available for poor young girls to make money.The Dominican govt. long ago created the prostitution "monster".Only internal governmental change could ever slay it.
Larry

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
to Mommc and Robert

Mommc,

Remember that the cabanas are not just for prostitutes, many young people have no where to go since both live with their parents and of course there are millions of people cheating on their spouses there too. You can get there in a taxi too if you don't drive, I used to have to do that with my girlfriend when I was a house guest.

Robert,

I'm not sure about prostitution being illegal here, I discussed this at length with my Sociology teacher when I was at PUCMM studying, she never could shut up about prostitution, she wanted it legalized so the sex workers could form unions and demand minimum fees, etc. (yes, she is a little bit crazy, but a charming lady very outspoken feminist) Anyway she copied me the page from the constitution that addresses it, and I regret not having the email on hand, however it did seem prostitution was pretty illegal.

Status
Not open for further replies.