To whom does the land belong?

Domnsa

Feb 18, 2003
:confused:

?Listin Diario continues yesterday?s front-page story on the disputed legislation that would transfer land titles along the Northwest coastline to the custody of the Ministry of the Environment. The governor of the province of Monte Cristi, Lorenzo Rodriguez, has joined Bishop Tomas Abreu in criticizing the proposal. .......In a telephone interview with DR1 News, Bishop Abreu revealed that the project would place 91 percent of the coastline in the care of the Ministry of the Environment, leaving only ?the worst beaches? for local development.?

I am very surprised by the position taken by the local Catholic hierarchy and the Governor of Monte Cristi as expressed in the DR1 paragraph above. However, I am not surprised to see that the Listin Diario is backing them. Listin?s open support of the Catholic hierarchy is by now well known and documented. Nonetheless, why is the Church interested in Tourism development as opposed to environmental protection? It is not logical. Well, at least not to me. For instance, although the influx of tourists may help the economic development of the region, it is also likely to loosen the moral standards upheld by the Church for generations. In any event, I am just wondering to whom does this land belong? I am positive that if this information came out, we will understand why the Hierarchy is so keen on defending the economic development of the region. We will be able also to put this argument behind us and in the process hopefully, leaving some of our country protected for future generations .

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Monte Cristi is a giant trainwreck. A town with possibly one of the worst corruption problems in this country. I don't know the proposal in depth, nor do I know all the pros and cons, but I am willing to guess that whatever takes the Monte Cristi coastline out of the hands of the local authorities is a good thing.

For years the very same authorities that were supposed to protect the coastline were the very same people who promoted their destruction. Mangroves were flattened out to sell the land for housing, houses built where the law expressly forbid it. This area was declared "National Park" over 10 years ago and I have no qualms in saying that it is certainly the least protected and more dilapidated national park in the country.

Back to our authorities and why I would support even taking the whole damn town out of their hands:

The governor is a hoodlum. Last year he put Monte Cristi on the news by declaring that the PRD members had a right to government jobs and proceeding to kick out (literally) many government employees to irregularly substitute them by PRDists. He has placed all his kids in highly paid local jobs in the public administration. It is a well known fact that he utilizes the public resources for his own profit.

Our major, former head of the Transportation Sindicate is... well... not exactly a white sheep.

Our deputy suggested that we should flattened out El Morro, a national park, MC's best known landmark and most popular attraction because "it ruined the town's sea view".

And the beat goes on.

So there you go, our authorities are a bunch of crooks who on top of that are deluded. There's no way in hell anyone is going to invest in an overprized town ruled by a newer version of the Chicago mafia. They have no plans and they have no clue.

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
Hola Pib!

The governor is a hoodlum

I'm still on the floor laughing!!!!!!!!!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I loved the way you described the whole situation!!

Thanks
Tim H.

salito123

Mar 10, 2003
catholics are part and answer to to the Vatican

Vatican = one of the largest banks in the world

they are in it for the money just like everyone else is.

seems logical that the church would be involved in a land grab to ultimately line their pockets........

over all, not surprising

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Pib, I was only in Monet Christi briefly, so can not comment on the politicians. One thing I did notice though. For a small town with VERY little going on, there seemed to be a large percentage of luxury cars. Mercedes all over the place. land Rovers etc.

I could not figure out what job one could have in Monte Christi to afford such cars. Then it was pointed out that most of thos ecars belonged to local politicians.

One night while sitting outside "olivia's" my novia was coming back from the bathroom. A table of guys of course said something fresh, and as usual I politely asked them, what they said.

This guy that had to be close to 70 stood up and had to be physically restrained from swinging at me! This guy did not look Dominican but apparently he was.

I have to give the old guy credit. He was ready to go! I obviously would not enjoy beating up some old dude, so I just sat there and laughed. It was bizarre.

I later found out he too was a local politician.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Maybe the Mormon bishop in Utah can answer??

The Catholic Church does not have anything to do with this nor does the Mormon church for that matter.
The deal is this.
For over four years there have been projects developed for creating an infrastructure for tourism in the Monte Cristi area. The Instituto para el Desarrollo del Noroeste (INDENOR) has managed to get two of the projects approved within existing legislation that promotes development in the region. They have been approved by the Executive Branch.

Along comes Environment-out of the blue-no consulting with local organizations or community leaders (No PIB, not him!) And like it or not, Tomas Abreu is a local authority, and considered pretty good at it, too. One of the major problems is that the government is appropriating lands that have been held for over 40 years with all the legaities covered. The property owners were part of the development schemes, and feel cheated. AND, there is a more sinister side., according to local gossip. "Interests" from the East Coast-as Golo would say: "the former pilot and his friends" - are considered to be behind the move.

Why? Because the beaches in that stretch of land are among the most beautiful in the whole country, with character that is distinct from all the rest. The proposed legislation is not to save the land, but rather to decide who exploits it...let's be clear about that.

The area itself is stratigically magnificent: The best harbor (Manzanillo), next to the most travelled route from Central America to the Atlantic (between Cuba and Haiti), near accessable potable water from dams that can or will produce unending electricity (or be the subject for massive wind generation), and completly untamed beaches with incredible coral reefs. An airport on what is, up to now, totally unused lands would put a crimp into Punta Cana and Bavaro, and even POP tourism...

So yes, Virginia, it is not as simple as it looks.

And no, Abreu is not involved beyond being a proponent for the development of one of the poorest regions in the country...

HB, who knows a bit more than he is letting on...

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Thanks PIB, I "chortled"at

the one about "leveling the Morro"....but you know, some do believe that crappo??

And the pols have certainly little moral grounds to stand upon, so I guess that is why Abreu is out in the forefront on this one.

What I didn't know is that POP Province is not involved even a little bit...

Gonna be interesting to see how this plays out..

HB ;)

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
"For instance, although the influx of tourists may help the economic development of the region, it is also likely to loosen the moral standards upheld by the Church for generations. "

I have to tell you that I know nothing of the situation and am learning by reading this thread but...

What a crock of shit. Losen the moral standards in the DR? It aint possible since theyg are so loose you can drive a Mack Truck between any moral standards you can find. For every person who has one moral standard you have 20 who either do not or simply don't give a shit.

Graft, payoffs and thievery in and by government officials are the Norm and accepted, Prostitution of both men and women are amoung the most prolific in the world and certainly the region. Tell me more about the Morals that TOURISTS LOOSEN will ya please?

And, do NOT get me started on the Church. Not a day goes by when I don't see on TV a story about support groups for those sexually abused by officialss of the Catholic Church. Historically, they have much more to be ashamed of than your every day tourist in my opinion.

Back to the subject, thanks HB and Pib for shedding some light on the story and the area. Is this the area you have a weekend place in HB?

Escott