cell phones

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
I have Sprint service in NY. I'll be needing service in Sosua for 5 days. Sprint tells me that my phone will work, but I'll have roaming charges and long distance charges totalling about $1.25 per min. Is there an alternative? I don't intend to use it for more than a few mins. I'm more concerned with performance than cost. Thanks - DW

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Danny,

Your Sprint phone is on the Codetel system in Sosua and the DR. For 5 days I would spend the 1.25 per minute. I have a Orange Cell phone in the DR and I have a Sprint Cell phone also but don't use it. I go alot so I buy 300 peso cards and just use those.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Planning a lot of local calls?

Danny W said:
I have Sprint service in NY. I'll be needing service in Sosua for 5 days. Sprint tells me that my phone will work, but I'll have roaming charges and long distance charges totalling about $1.25 per min. Is there an alternative? I don't intend to use it for more than a few mins. I'm more concerned with performance than cost. Thanks - DW

Buy an Orange phone and use that, it's about $80.00. e.g. 2 hours and you pay for it and then some. You can always donate it to someone when you leave or keep it for when you return. Assuming you do.

For long distance back to USA go to a Codetel or other long distance office and pay 4 pesos a minute , e.g. 20 cents. These places are prevalent in every town.