One earing in babies

mainer

Mar 22, 2002
What does one gold earing in the left ear of a baby signify? Is this a girl baby or a boy baby? Or could it just be that several people in Sosua could only afford one earing?

Just Wondering

Mainer

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Don't know, but it sounds like it could be a resguardo that protects the baby from harm. They come in various forms, including bracelets and amulets worn around the neck. If it is a resguardo, it would be interesting to know whether it provides general protection, or protects against something specifici, such as mal de ojo (evil eye).

Foreigners tend to raise their eyebrows when they hear about these resguardos, but they overlook the rabbits feet, four leaf clovers, and other lucky charms that people in their home town carry. Those are not quite the same as a Dominican resguardo, but close enough to make the point.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
It is "OK" to ask!

Talk to people.Dominicans LOVE to talk,especially about their kids,and even more to a "Gringo" who is "interested" enough to ask them a question about their kids.You will make friends here, by talking to strangers! Cris

mainer

Mar 22, 2002
Cris,
I tried, but no hablo Espanol. I am working on it, but it seems to be taking forever to learn.
mainer

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
It means that the kid lost the other earring. Only girls get their ears pierced at that young age, it is customary to do it within a month of birth. Something I regret my parents did to me.

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
I too had my ears pierced at 3 months old. It is very common in many countries to pierce the girls ears at a young age. It's great for stranger too, you can complement them on thier little girl, when you really have no clue as to what sex the baby might be.

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
I dislike earings on babies, but I'm kind of a baby-weirdo in that I like them to be dressed all in white, with bonnets and bootees, etc. Plenty of time later to be cosmeticized and trendy, I figure - why rob them of their precious babyhood?

Thank goodness I have all boys, because I also dislike that frilly bandana thing that baby girls wear and don't even get me started on the ruffly dresses with the panty things and tights. Gah. And hair braiding? Oh dear....

I'm definitely meant to have boys!

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
You took those words out of my mouth T?a Jane. I am hoping I have boys, else my girl will be the most unfashionable girl in DR.

And no pierced ears... I am still dealing with that. GRRRRRRRRRRRR

linamia

"an unexamined life is not worth living"
Jan 2, 2002
www.pascual5designs.com
Its a Dominican custom of which I am guilty of, all three of my girls got pierced ears at an early age. Why? I got caught up in the Dominican Hype, Actually I like having had my ears pierced. The girls like it as well, now my battle is with my eldest who wants to pierce her ears six times (ok I am exaggerating only two more times). Only that I will not let them have more than one piercing until they finished college, (let see if that works HA!)

Jane, although I never went overboard with the frilly dresses, I am guilty of the frills too. I loved to see them feminine, now that they are teenagers they only wear jeans, Timberland boots, sneakers and tight shirts so I am glad I had my fun with them when they could not object.

Lina

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
Remember, I said I'm a weirdo - I know most people want to frill and pierce and fluff their girls.

I just wouldn't have any talent for it.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
[B]linamia[/B] said:
Its a Dominican custom of which I am guilty of, all three of my girls got pierced ears at an early age. Why? I got caught up in the Dominican Hype...

Jane, although I never went overboard with the frilly dresses, I am guilty of the frills too. I loved to see them feminine, now that they are teenagers they only wear jeans, Timberland boots, sneakers and tight shirts so I am glad I had my fun with them when they could not object.
Mom, is that you?

As a girl I was also victimized by a fashion-concious mom. I hated girly dresses and I hated "doing" my hair, which I was forced to keep long because my mom liked pony-tails, braids and others girly tortures. At 11 my dad, getting tired of the constant fights in the mornings, cut my hair very short when my mom wasn't home. That did it.

My ears were pierced when I was a kid, to this age I cannot use earrings, else I would get an almost instant infection in my earlobes, rather disgusting. Sometimes they get infected just for the fun of it :mad: My mom herself already had a surgery to have the holes removed.

I think I should go sue my mom.

linamia

Jan 2, 2002
www.pascual5designs.com
Pib if I die you are to blame!!!

"Mom, is that you?" Pib

Please post a warning when you are going to say something funny like that I was having my $5.00 Starbucks coffee anyhoo I almost chocked on it.

Well, the battles are over in my house, everyone fends for themselves now. I will get my ultimate revenge on the grandkids just wait and see (God willing the grandkids are many years from now, but I have patience) .

Last edited:

lalla

Bronze
Mar 10, 2003
Wait, i am almost tempted to ask Lina if she's MY mother....

let me tell u there is NOTHING worse then having not one BUT TWO little girls dressed in damn frill dresses with those STUPID socks that were in style way back when, the one with the "CAMPANITAS" or little balls hanging on the side, uuuuugh, like MOM what were u thinking????? And mom thought they were AWESOME because those dresses came from the states, so of course they had to be nice...

OR how about the stupid hair ribbons??? cute, those things were so damn long they came down to my neck...my sister and i would totally rebel and go play in mud, u know how when it rains in DR those puddles are actual olympic size swimming pools!!!

I swear when i have kids, if god is good, he'll give me just 4 boys, NO girls, BUT if i have girls, i swear its nice feminine things, NOT TACKY and no LACE (damn the lace for children), NO checkerboard dresses, and NOOO socks with frills...NO NO NO

linamia

Jan 2, 2002
www.pascual5designs.com
lalla

Esperate mi amor, who is talking about tacky I am talking cute here. At the risk of sounding pompous I have not one tacky bone in me. Hee hee ask my daughters they will vouch for me.

Lina

lalla

Bronze
Mar 10, 2003
linamia said:
lalla

Esperate mi amor, who is talking about tacky I am talking cute here. At the risk of sounding pompous I have not one tacky bone in me. Hee hee ask my daughters they will vouch for me.

Lina

Lina, my mother thinks the same ahahah, ask the girls "do u think i dressed u girls tacky??"...oh and wait to leave the room to hear the REAL response!! lol lol kidding

no seriously though, some things are just outta control and some parents think its cute, right now i have my niece under strict supervision becuase my sister in law le pone pantalones de jeans con zapatos patent leather.....GAG....lol cant let that happen to the poor kid