Jamaica vs. DR

Sunshyne

Nov 27, 2002
Well I've just returned from my trip to Jamaica and although I wasn't sure what to expect (as I was going to Kingston), Jamaica is awesome! The Air Canada seat sale ($290 return) was all the incentive I needed to pack up and go, so off I went with 3 friends to visit our friend who moved to Jamaica in October for 6 months (at our office there). We spent the first night in Ocho Rios and while it was nice, it was fairly touristy, similar to touristy DR. We did hit some pretty local dancehalls that night though and I swear they were pumping in the ganja from the air ducts! The next day, we went back to Kingston. Expecting a dangerous, poverty stricken town, we were amazingly surprised at how beautiful and safe the place is! Mind you, we didn't venture into downtown Kingston, and even resident Kingstonians wouldn't take us, but the parts of Kingston we saw were incredible! Jamaica is naturally very beautiful, with mountains and lush vegetation. I was also surprised that the infrastructure appeared to me to be further ahead than DR. Also, I was pleasently surprised to find that the majority of the businesses and homes in the nice part of Kingston are Jamaican-owned. So, don't believe the hype and go visit for yourself! As a tourist you would never venture into Kingston, but if you do you will find amazing people and beautiful sites.

I found the people to be quite nice - but different than Dominican people. There did not seem to be the same "desperation" to leave - surprising considering the economic state. Even at the all-inclusive hotel that we snuck into, the men were attentive and very interested (4 single girls is usually enough to do the trick), but it was not the same feeling as in DR. For some reason, there does not appear to be the "marriage" ticket off the island. Maybe Dominican men are just more entrepreneurial?! haha. But if truth be told, Dominican men are absolutely mas bonito and more charming!

The dilema now is where to go come my next trip!

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
infrastructure is better than dominican republic's??????
I was told completely opposite. My brother lived in jamaica for 6 months and his friend who frequently visited him told me the same thing, Jamaican roads are a mess and real residential towns are dangerous if you are a tourist. They were surpeised to see the roads were nicely paved in DR and the cities were more organized (infrastructure). I guess if you stay in touristy resorts or up scale neighborhoods in jamaica, you will be impressed. however if you venture into the area where the average jamaicans live, you will be horrified.
I guess you have not been to santo domingo or santiago to know the real cities in DR. resorts don't count as anything but as resorts.
Come to santiago next time and I will show you the real DR and the real dominicans who don't even notice foreigners. In fact, many foreign people don't come to santiago because they are not even noticed. You will be surprised to see that majority of girls in upscale bars / restaurants order expensive drinks / food and pay with their gold card and then hop into their BMW or a SUV and drive away to another place to party. That is real dominican republic, don't confuse dominicans for resort workers.
I wonder how many times I have to explain to all you folks that resort workers are simply poor resort workers. If you are not below 25 and really hot hot looking girl in santiago, forget it, you will not get a classie guy. You better off with chopos from resorts. Most dominicans that I know in santiago go to miami and NYC for vacation regularly. They laugh at this sankie -foreigner relationships.

RandyE

Feb 4, 2002
Roads in Dr are better. Didn't go into downtown Kingston and the people didn't recomend you go? Have been into numerous cities in dr and have never felt threatened. Try and take a walk in Ocho Rios, as soon as we left the hotel were badgered constantly to buy blankets, ashtrays, weed and assorted garbage. Only a firm GTFAFM would get these people off your back. Been there, done that, screw Yamaka, mon!

Sunshyne

Nov 27, 2002
AZB - Perhaps a visit to Jamaica is in order! You may then see what I was referring to. As for your comment regarding where I stayed - anywhere in Kingston is hardly "touristy" and I don't think you have to stay in a ghetto to know a place. Just as there are "upscale" Dominicans of whom you speak, there are similar Jamaicans, and it doesn't make them any less Jamaican or the experience any less real.

I'm sure you're quite familiar with all things Dominican, but if I recall correctly, you are not in fact Dominican, and forgive me for the frustration, but the condescending attitudes towards visitors does become tiresome. And finally, my post was not about "sankie - foreign" relations - but it seems to be a favourite topic around here.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Wow at what you say is all I can say.

I have been to Jamaica MANY TIMES. I even got MARRIED in Jamaica. I have flown into Montego Bay and have flown into Kingston. I have driven across the whole country 20 times.

It seems as if we went to two different places.

Glad you had a nice time but I found it a completely different place than you described. Kingston is one of the most dangerous cities in the world with one of the most homicides per capita.
It isn't tourist because it offers NOTHING to tourists just like Santiago offers NOTHING and that is why tourists don't go there.

I don't have a problem with street vendors in the DR like many folks here complain about but in Jamaica you cant help but be annoyed. After 10 days in Jamaica I am so tired of saying "NO, I don't want to buy your Ganja", "NO, I aint your buddy" "No I don't want the stuff you are trying to sell me" and of course I hate Reggae Music.

Hey to each his own I guess.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
The world is always different when you are a sweet chick traveling to caribbean or anywhere.
I bet sunshyne was picked up at the airport by her friend, who gave her a ride to a fancy hotel. then the next day, her friends took her to fancy residential areas and probably ate in a fancy restaurant. Then she was invited to go to a fancy disco and danced with some fancy jamaican. So she never sees a ganja vender or a sankie, not even poverty. wow, what a country.
You are right, jamaica is much much better than DR. hell, I bet it even felt like you were in Miami....right?
Funny almost all the guys come back complaining of jamaica. My friends didn't even like a single jamaican girl that they would call beautiful in the resort areas. My brother (who lived there for 6 months) blew up his tires 2 times on the pot holes. His friend almost got robbed with a knife and almost got his car stolen. He was able to get away.
Now my brother lives in Morocco (casaBlanca). Many travelers tell me that its a dangerous and dirty city yet when my family members visit casablanca, they are only shown the upscale areas and fancy restaurants. They only rub shoulders with the rich moroccans etc. So when someone tell them about how dirty and dangerous Morocco is..... hahahahaha, you can just imagine their reaction.
What I am trying to say is that don't even come close to comparing Jamaica with DR. jamaica is a dump and dangerous, if you see the real jamaica..... However, you can go to the most poorest guetto in santiago and you will never be harassed or feel in danger. DR roads are very good compared to many caribbean islands and the Dominican girls (in santiago at least) are some of the most beautiful women you will find in latin america.
The cheap sanki guys you were refering to only exist in your world. I urge you to come to santiago and give me a chance to introduce you to real dominicans.
Anyway, enough of this, what matters is that you had a wonderful time in jamaica.
Have a nice weekend.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Jamaica

Jamaica is one place I will never go.I have heard so many horror stories about Jamaica.Everyone I know who went there either got robbed or they were aware they were being followed and were able to avert a robbery because they could see it before the senario unfolded.When I was in Bermuda in 2000 I was told by a policeman that they had recently had some kind of raegee festival or something and a whole bunch of Jamaicans showed up and just went crazy.They ran around robbing everyone and jumping out of cabs without paying and the police were chasing them all over Hamilton(Bermuda).He told me he had never seen anything like it.The jail was full to capacity before the festival was over.Who needs to go on vacation to deal with that crap?

Larry

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
Everyone of course has the right to there own opinion but I've been to Jamaica and I stayed in the hills of Kingston. I did not stay at a tourist area I stayed with a friend. I took cold showers and climbed a hill every day to get to the house. I must admit it was quite an experience since I grew up in North America. People were always smiling and very friendly. I wasn't harassed constantly to buy anything, but people were out selling fruit, souvenirs etc. just like other countries trying to make money to survive.
It is a beautiful country with some great people! It amazes me how people still are so close minded and believe all the bad talk about people in different countries. It's like believing every Dominican guy is untrustworthy, come on people.
When I told people I was going to Kingston Jamaica they were so amazed I was going and the first comment was it's dangerous.
In every country there are areas that are dangerous and as a tourist you need to know where they are and stay away.
And like many island countries there are the rich and the poor.

I've only been to the Dominican once and enjoyed it. I thought everyone was so friendly and it wasa beautiful country. I did stay at an all inclusive resort so I couldn't comment much on the DR. I do plan to go this May and not stay at an AI because I'd really like to see the country. I did find the men in DR very pushy which did become annoying after a while the word NO didn't seem to get through to them. But I don't hold that against all men in the DR.

Maybe some people have had a bad experience but don't we all some time or other, remember nothing is perfect and all countries are different!

Sunshyne I'm glad to hear you had a great time!!

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
I am glad to hear that both of you had a wonderful experience in Kingston Jamaica which has one of the highest statisics regarding crime in the world for a city of its size and maybe the highest homocide rate in the WORLD.

I don't think anyone that has been there said that everyone in Jamaica is bad. Since you both did NOT go to a tourist destination you were not bothered by people that try to take advantage and make a living off of tourists. You can't walk the streets in Montego Bay nor Negril without being bothered 10 times in one block. Take that to the bank even though you don't seem to have the experience other than Kingston.

In Negril I didn't feel like I was in danger at any time but in the CITY of Montego Bay I did. Nothing happened to me just as nothing has ever happened to me living in NYC for 12 years as an adult but I felt the evil eye on me more than once. I NEVER had a bad feeling in the DR and that includes walking the street at 1 AM dressed nicely with money in my pockets. I am not the type of guy I guess that has these problems, who knows it is maybe my attitude?

When people complain here about the people in the DR trying to sell them stuff I just chuckle and think of Jamaica and wish that on them!:)

Regards

mainer

Mar 22, 2002
"When people complain here about the people in the DR trying to sell them stuff I just chuckle and think of Jamaica and wish that on them!"

I have to say that I thought the same thing, JC.

I loved Jamaica, and I love Reggae music. However, I don't get the creepy feeling here (in the DR) that I got more than once in Jamaica.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Jamaica is a wonderfull country, with a fascinating culture and a good deal of artistic talent, I spent a year there in 1995. I was living in Port Antonio, on the north Coast, but traveled all around. I now live in DR since 1997, and I must admit it is much safer here. On an individual level, the jamaican is a great person, but as a nation, they tend to resent the white folks, which is not the case in DR. However I never ran into trouble in Jamaica, because if you are clean and low profile, chances are you'll be ok... In general I would think DR is much better for tourists, because it opens up to the visitors, so you don't have to stay all the time at your resort...

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
Well said Squat. I agree with your summation. That was just about what I was trying to say regarding the evil eye. There are good people and bad people of every race, religion and origin. No rocket scientry needed there.

Regards

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
in defense of Jamaica, there are 2 features that will always make it more tourist friendly than RD:

1) the water is safe to drink, and,

2) there is no language problem for (many) North American travellers.

as for infrastructure, well, there certainly isn't a question about whether the lights will be on. roads on the other hand are a completely different story. if you have travelled from MoBay to Negril (a heavily travelled tourist route) then you can't compare them. RD wins hands down. also, nowhere in the city of Kingston can even come close to the colonial zone of Santo Domingo for culture, history, etc.

violence? it's well documented that the murders in Kingston are gang related and restricted to one sector of the city. over the past 5 years i have read about more murders of "tourists" in RD than in Jamaica.

2 islands that offer 2 different lifestyles. in the end it's all personal preference.

mob :classic:

Last edited:

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
There are more Tourist murders in Jamaica.

If you don't think that there is a Language problem:)

As I said before the majority of tourist DO NOT go to Kingston. These are the first two I have heard of. The killings are DRUG related.

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
There are two basic differences..

...when you reach Jamaica as soon as you walk out of the airport someone is offering you Ganja. When you reach the Dominican Republic as soon as you walk out of the airport someone is offering you chicas. Depends on your mood I guess.

Sunshyne

Nov 27, 2002
AZB - Sounds like you were on my trip with me:

"I bet sunshyne was picked up at the airport by her friend, who gave her a ride to a fancy hotel. then the next day, her friends took her to fancy residential areas and probably ate in a fancy restaurant. Then she was invited to go to a fancy disco and danced with some fancy jamaican. So she never sees a ganja vender or a sankie, not even poverty. wow, what a country.
You are right, jamaica is much much better than DR. hell, I bet it even felt like you were in Miami....right? "

Just a few minor differences: No, I did not stay at a hotel, nor did I eat at any "fancy" restaurants (unless you call the local "Island Grill" fast food joint fancy). At no time did I feel like I was in Miami. Yes, I saw poverty (as I do in Toronto every day) and yes I was offered ganja on many occasions. (Just to clarify, I don't think Jamaica is "much better" than DR). But your insight is certainly profound and your patriotism is sweet...oops, I forgot, you're not actually Dominican, right?

The only point I was trying to make is that a country is the sum of its parts - good and bad. Kingstonians living in "nicer" parts of Kingston are no less Jamaican than anyone else, and the experience is no less real. Same goes with any country in the world. I've lived in many parts of the world, including Zimbabwe for many years, and I think that it is one of the most beautiful place on earth, with the most amazing people. But of course, you will likely have a different perception (which quite frankly I'm surprised at since as you say you haven't actually been to Jamaica). You can find beauty and filth in one country anywhere.

There is no doubt that parts of Kingston are not safe - but hell, there are parts of Toronto I wouldn't go to as well.

Please people, don't believe the hype that Kingston is a death-trap, and go see for yourself!

hollywood north

Dec 11, 2002
www.cybersecretary.ca
I spent two weeks in a local hotel in MoBay, nothing AI, nothing behind high walls. Went for Raggae Sunfest and let me tell you what it feels like to be a minority. I have never fels to many wary eyes on me as I did the day we went to the public beach. I have never felt unconfortable in a similar situation in other countries.

-there is a language barrier if you cannot understand Patois (I did so was the translator)

-the poverty cannot be compared to what we see in Toronto

- education levels and training not very good with the hotel workers where I stayed. They couldn't figure out the damned computer to check us in.

-I was followed INTO the ladies room in the lobby of my hotel by the night desk clerk who decided I needed his company, where he tried to force himself on me

- constatly harrassed by ugly-ass stinky guys walking from my hotel to the gym or beach that if I declined their invitations, and then tld the to F-off had to yell at me that I am some racist bitch.

- I was ready to kick the crap out of anyone that aoproached me after my second day there. NOT a relaxing vacation.
on the other hand, yes it is a beautiful country and very nice people are indeed there, including the nice ladies selling fruit (who became my friends and guardians after they laughed at me telling one of my harassers off).

See-my travel companion hooked up with some guy right off the bat (NO I was not jealous-I can get some whenever I want!!!) so I had to spend several days alone in MoBay. The gym was my refuge and the beach second because if you are there alone you get NO PEACE!!! you can get a piece easily, but if you are alone trying to chill-forget it.

-went to some really cool, club next to our hotel where, according the the ground rep "all the pimps, pushers and prostitutes hang out". Of course that's where we went-cheapest rum punch, best music and no problems at all.

They try to make you hang at the stupid expensive tourist clubs where the MoBay sankies walk around with beer bottles refilled with water and they try to weasel in on your drink orders or whatever else. DId see some really sad local/foreign affairs happening.
-roads there suck more than DR
-go back? Maybe, but to Negril. Gotta check out Hedonism one day just for the laughs alone.
-feel much safer anywhere in DR - even Buenos Aires Herrera-alone than in Jamaica unfortunately.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
Here is my synopsis of the thread. DR is much safer, has a better infrastructure, more enjoyable and less of a hassle (WAY less) than Jamaica.

This is the DR Message board so who wants to argue Jamaica anyway?

Reminds me of a joke regarding a tatoo on a Jamaican's penis...

Profeta

Mar 17, 2003
There is no comparison between Jamaica and DR. Jamaica is an over-hyped 3rd world country with an excellent tourism marketing program. The DR should model tourism marketing after Jamaica. It is amazing how much illusion Jamaican can create by putting a few colorful pictures in a magazine, bringing you to their isolated resorts, and limiting you to the few tourist places they have.

I have been to Jamaica three times, the last two not by choice, but a freebie from two cruises. Contrary to what most tourist do, I rented a car and traveled the country for a week and saw nothing that the DR could not match better.

1) DR has better beaches
2) Friendlier people
3) More diverse tourism, although not well advertised
4) Less expensive (Jamaica; $US for a grilled chicken leg)
5) Much more to see and do
6) Better ecology
7) Better road infrastructure
8) Safer to drive (blew two tires in the first 30 minutes0
9) Cheaper transportation
10) Etc.

Although I promised myself I would not return to Jamaica, I have decided to make one last sacrifice and return to Jamaica this year for a share of that $US 150,000 international domino tournament.