DR Cigars

PatK100

Mar 9, 2003
Hi

What are good brand of cigars to buy in the DR and how much should you be paying for then, where is a good place to uy the in POP or Costambar Beach.

Many thanks

Pat

Boh

Jan 3, 2002
There is a nice cigar shop in Sosua called NATIVOS FINE CIGARS. I think the address is, Calle Pedro Clisante # 17-A, phone (809) 571-3493. The owners are Cuban, Oscar and Gustavo. They have a good variety and will help you find a good cigar. :cool:

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
Well......

Ask Hillbilly who is the resident expert on cigars. He should have tons of knowledge on the subject.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Fine cigars

IF you are a cigar person, you know what you like.

If you are going to take back cigars for friends anything that makes smoke and doesn't cost too much is fine..

There are excellent cigars to be had. The L. Leon Jimenes factory has tours, and their Preferido is one of the most sought after cigars in America. I travel to different cigar factorys most every week, so if you do have some knowledge and want to discuss this further, send me a Private message or an E-Mail and I'll discuss it with you.

HB

If that place is the one on the corner up from the Ayuntamiento is is okey to buy there. I thought that they were French??? but it would be easier to go to Santiago from Costambar....

Last edited:

ArJay

Jan 1, 2002
I bought the Aurora preferidos at the duty-free shop on the way out last trip at $230 per box ( 25). Pricy but not by mailorder catalog prices which ask for almost $15 each. The trip before I bought a pack of five locally which got me to like them. Now I'm afraid they'll probably will be removed from mass consumption for a higher-end market.

The others I bought were Aurora double corona at 265p per 5. They are also good but not quite up to the preferido in quality. I recently found them advertised by mailorder for $98 for 30 . ( w/o shipping and handling )

All 3 times I brought back cigars, they benefited from being stored in an air-tight container with a little water dabbed into a sponge to restore their moisture.

Last edited:

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
In Puerto Plata try The Fine Gift Center in Calle Doce de Julio (12th of July Street). Upstairs they have a cigar museum/workshop where you might get to try a couple of handmades there & then!! The other place to try is Canoa Gift shop in Beller (lower part nearer the port), again, they have a man making them most of the day & you can get a smoke first before buying!! You can mention my name in both if you want - if there is any forgetfulness on their part, tell them it was the Pipe-smoking Gringo from England!!!!
Failing either of those having what you want (at the price you want) go to Supermercado Tropical (corner of Beller & 27th de Febrero) where they have a wide selection also!! - Grahame.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Very positive news BB. Thank you.

I guess I'll have to make a trip up there and give them that deserves it my HB Blessing for Cigar Stores....Be a good excuse anyway..

HB

Snowbird

Jan 17, 2002
In searching for the best Dominican cigar, I have come across a very fine stogie at Cafe Cito, just West of the main entrance to Playa Dorada. These are very smooth smokes, and you will at least know the true origin of the product. All other products that say Cuba, may or may not be from that location. Try these cigars for yourself and you will be vey satisfied.