Just an answer to one os Salitos123's questions

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Salito, I hadn't seen the pi$$ing contest but question I did see referred to products in Supermarkets.
You had said that you went to a large one in Santiago? Well, there are two such stores here, both in stand-alone buildings, the Pola and the Nacional.

Pola and Nacional are both Spanish owned and operated, so they stock a lot of stuff from Spain, as well as the off brands and a few major brands from the US and Europe. And they are relatively expensive. Nacional has a much wider selection, Pola oftentimes has better prices, but fewer choices.

Then there is Price Smart. Another concept, developed in the US for people with large families. Great prices but you have to buy large quantities. Again, the merchandise is mainly from the US but the odd European product is there...

Since I don't know which store you went to, I just have to guess.
From your language I suppose you are maybe from Britain?.
The DR does not do much business with the UK, except cigars, and via companies in Germany and Holland, tropical fruits.

It is interesting, but in that now closed thread, the Major Exports left out all the production from the Free Zones, and forgot to mention cigars as the leading, non-Free Zone export of the DR, far surpassing sugar, coffee, cacao and anything else...

I sincerely hope this assists in clarifying your misconceptions, since our major trading partner is the US for exports and Venezuela for imports (oil).

HB

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Hummm, I never saw the original posts...But I did see where he referred to "Out there" and that is usually a person form the UK...

Anyway..He didn't know Jack about the DR IMPORTS or EXPORTS>>> and doesn't read the DR1 News!! For shame...

;)

HB, call me?

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
I think he lives in the US but his heritage is Dominican. Knew nothing about the DR other than his distaste for Prostitutes though but he was full of rightous indignation.

I think I am as much a German as he is a Dominican:)

Escott

RandyE

Feb 4, 2002
Where'd they go? Him and the wife hit titanium in one thread, took their Nathan statues and vanished from whence they came.