Shifting gears?

earosemena

Aug 18, 2002
After reading about the Caucedo Mega Port project I can't help but wonder what kind of economic impact this port will have in Boca Chica. I'm not refering to the sailor>hooker connection already approached on this board b4. I wonder if there will be a shift from BC's being mainly dependent on turisms and visitors from Santo Domingo to a trade and business enviorment.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
It will likely have a very large impact on BC.

Ships off loading and onloading will require warehouses and truck terminals also.
However if what I've read on the two websites from the companies involved this port is meant mainly to be used as a trans-shipping depot.

My question is :

"What effect will this port have on the waterfront and beach areas of Boca Chica?"

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I think that they will find out..........

The first time one of those container ships cleans its bilge....I am sure that there was not a very serious environmental impact study done on this one...Sad day for BC....

Hb

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
If an "E-Coli" count were done in Boca Chica

on a daily basis,with the results posted for all to see,not a tourist alive would go there! If you ever have the bad luck to be on the beach when there is a good down pour,the smell of "shit" overflowing from the septic systems,mixed with dog,cat,rat,and human feces and urine washing down from the streets,will send you runnig home to shower and do some "shooters" of "Listerine"!

When I want some "E-Coli",I get it the "Old Fashioned" way,I "EARN IT"!CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Well Criss.....That welcoming (gag) aroma

permeates the whole "beach" anywhere you go in the tourist areas. Just walk past any resort area (on the "backside" of the resorts) at night and you'll get a "wiff". You're right about the rain tho'.....after a heavy rainfall the whole country reeks!!

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Cris, the situation you discuss about the smell will in time will affect just about any built-up beachfront location on the island due to a lack of environmental concern, no uniform building codes and/or code enforcment on the part of the government and business. There are no waste water treatment facilities and exisiting beachfront septic systems will eventually foul their surroundings. The government is more concerned for the short-term about obtaining the quick tourist buck and commissions from developers and business. The developers and business foster a don't give a sh-- attitude towards the environment, only doing what they have to do to maintain their operations, make a profit, and pay commissions without any concern for the long term impact of their decisions. They will make their money and run. The tourists (those who are left) and residents are the reluctant victims of the smell and resultant health hazards. An environmental impact study in the D.R. takes a long as the study report originates from the printer. Regards, PJT

earosemena

Aug 18, 2002
I'm confussed. Please enlighten me as to your point of view. If DR is so dirty, smelly and unappealing. If the stench and dirt and unconcerned officials AND Dominicans make this country a big hellhole, why do you wonderful DR1 affiliates live in DR or come back to DR on a regular basis?

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Don't know what others will say earo.......

But we come for the sun, the sea, the wonderful scenery, the friends we've made, the fresh foods, the golf, the diving, etc...etc...etc...

There's good and bad in every land (boy could I enlighten ya about Canada and a few other countries too!:)) but since this is DR1 and restricted to posts about the DR this is where we "complain" about those things that "irritate" us.

Just the fact that we remain or at least come back again and again shows that we "like" it more than we "like to dislike" it!!

earosemena

Aug 18, 2002
Re: Don't know what others will say earo.......

MommC said:
But we come for the sun, the sea, the wonderful scenery, the friends we've made, the fresh foods, the golf, the diving, etc...etc...etc...

There's good and bad in every land (boy could I enlighten ya about Canada and a few other countries too!:)) but since this is DR1 and restricted to posts about the DR this is where we "complain" about those things that "irritate" us.

Just the fact that we remain or at least come back again and again shows that we "like" it more than we "like to dislike" it!!

Thanks MommC. Your note makes me feel better. I get super-irritated by the bickering and the b____ing that goes on the board a lot of times. In my opinion the priciple you state also applies to DR1. I love the Dominican Republic and these forums keep it close to me when I'm not there.
Esther;-)