Airbus Sues American Over F-587

Dominicanoxp

Dec 19, 2002
March 20, 2003 -- Aircraft manufacturer Airbus has launched a legal claim against American Airlines, blaming it for "improper" flight operations that triggered the crash of Flight 587 in Queens.
"American Airlines failed to operate the aircraft in the manner that was foreseeable and normal or intended by Airbus," the European manufacturer of the doomed plane said in court papers obtained by The Post.

Relations between American and Airbus have grown increasingly frosty since the Nov. 12, 2001, crash, but the legal move has raised the stakes between the aviation giants as they attempt to deflect blame for the deaths of 265 people.

More than 200 legal suits from victims' families demanding hundreds of millions in damages have been filed against American and Airbus.

Airbus lawyers are demanding in the legal papers that American be forced to offset any damages Airbus is required to pay to settle the claims.

"Nothing Airbus did or failed to do caused the accident or any harm or injury to the plaintiffs [the victims]," say Airbus' legal papers, filed this month in Manhattan federal court.

American Airlines spokesman John Hotard yesterday called Airbus' stance "ridiculous."

Airbus' legal papers do not detail American's allegedly "improper operation" of the A-300 which took off from Kennedy Airport bound for the Dominican Republic.

NTSB investigators suspect the crash was caused in part by a series of rapid back-and-forth movements of the rudder by the pilot just after the Airbus hit wake turbulence. The plane's tail then snapped off, sending the craft into an uncontrollable dive into Belle Harbor.

GRS

Jan 2, 2002
Finger pointing since day 1. The question is, Who's going to pay all the claims by the family members?

latinaviation

Jan 6, 2002
In the end, probably both of them. But I'll tell you, since that I day I have not set foot on an AA A-300 from JFK to the Caribbean. Call it supersticious or just plain dumb, but I'll take their 757s or 767s. It's not worth it.

Dominicanoxp

Dec 19, 2002
i have some friends who work for AA in the maintenace and overhaul maintenance deparment and by what i heard i would never fly AA
sorry AA fans but CO is #1

GRS

Jan 2, 2002
Dominicanoxp said:
i have some friends who work for AA in the maintenace and overhaul maintenance deparment and by what i heard i would never fly AA
sorry AA fans but CO is #1

If you see the maintenance log of any airline, you wouldn't fly them, happens on all of them!

So CO #1 but they only fly Boeings and you said some time ago that Boeing was a piece of s$%^. Humm, interesting....Can you make up your mind?

Wasn't a Dc 10 from Continental who lost a piece of the aircraft which caused the Concorde to crash? I wouldn't fly CO neither...

GRS

Dominicanoxp

Dec 19, 2002
grs
i like airbus over boeing in a well maintained enviroment

let me ask you this
mercedes benz one of the best car
rigth

i know you preffer mercedes over toyota but don't change the oil in a mercedes o see if it last longer than a toyota

i fly to DR on continetal i get free passes sometimes and i'm a onepass member

in usa i fly usa-air there i get free tickets united and northwest cause i prefer flying in airbuses

not jetblue cause kenedy is like 1 hr from my crib

:bored:

TRSboy

Sep 9, 2002
Dominicanoxp said:
i fly to DR on continetal i get free passes sometimes and i'm a onepass member

in usa i fly usa-air there i get free tickets united and northwest cause i prefer flying in airbuses

not jetblue cause kenedy is like 1 hr from my crib

Dominicanoxp..please :speechles: !!!

Good for you! Free tickets with COA/UA/NWA/U...no wander they are digging for money (and perhaps making their own hole so the undertaker will do the rest). :bandit:

Adding a line supporting GRS: XP, have you worked on an airline? Not as a ramp or a traffic agent but inside an airline (i.e., flight ops, soc, etc...) Keep me posted, would ya! You can learn so many things...and will not longer use those "freebies" anymore.

Dominicanoxp said:
In other words: "I pay to fly on BOEING or MDD, but I will only go free if it is an Airbus."

About Airbus or "Scare-made of LEGO-bus"...well, it is not nice when a captain asks me to move from my seat so he can hear a failing hydraulic pump. Actual incident happen on a well-maintained A320. I haven't have any of those incidents with Boeing or MDD. :rambo:

By the way, compare apples with apples....be realistic.

Try jetblue...might surprise you. I dont work there, if you think I do. ;)

Best regards,
TRSboy :smoke:

ps. BUY BOEING...just like the :bunny: "...and Boeing and Boeing and Boeing..."

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
I still want to know what you have heard XP

Most planes are safe if you maintain them.

I thought the A320 was suppose to be one of the safest. Goes to show you that any plane can have a problem.

peep

Jan 2, 2002
It may have been a piece that fell off a DC-10 that caused the Concord to crash but the DC-10 arrived safely.