love is in the air

anitabonita

Mar 6, 2003
hey everyone,

:cheeky:

just came back from my second trip to DR and it was wonderful. i had a great time and things are looking good for me and my novio nuevo. i got some of the answers i was looking for regarding HB's golden rules and as for the rest... time will tell.

thank you to everyone who sent me their words of wisdom and support. i'll post pictures from my trip soon.

:laugh:

also it does make a huge difference that i look as if i could be dominican. people were generally friendly and respectful toward me both inside and outside the hotel. i noticed that other couples that were obviously a dominican guy and a tourist often got looks from the other dominicans and sometimes were asked to pay more.

Dec 9, 2002
Glad to hear you had a good time Anita, hope you are going to post a trip report as well as your pictures.

Are you going to tell us about your novio nuevo???

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Love Is In The Air!"

,,,and so is your HEAD!!!!! Can't you read,or do a DR1 Search!We have all seen hundreds of posts just like yours,but we don't see your post in 1 or 2 years about how happy you are being married to your "Novio Nuevo"! I do wish you luck! You might be the FIRST! CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Criss...don't forget...

...anitabonita is the same one that was on vacation with her 'then' boyfriend when she met this 'novio nuevo'...

Girl, you sure made a quick return trip!!!

Glad things went well this time...remember to keep your eyes open for any special requests though!

They WILL start sooner than you think!

Sorry, don't mean to spoil your fun...just reminding you that a lot of girls here have already 'been there, done that'! ;)

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
i got some of the answers i was looking for regarding HB's golden rules and as for the rest... time will tell.

Give the girl a break. She did say she went there much wiser than before.

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Hey - Life if beautiful when you're in love. After it's over , it's over. I'm in a similar situation with my novia who is young enough to be my daughter. We don't even speak the same language. So I looked back over all of my relationships (wife, girlfriends) and decided that they all have contributed to the richness of my life. And I think they would say the same. So enjoy - you'll be dead soon enough. - Danny W

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
anita...

good luck is all I can say. odds are not in your favor but that does not mean it will not work out.

be careful is all I can say

Negro Lindo

Dec 26, 2002
I wish you the best take your time as in any relationship and follow your heart, life is too short to be worried everyday, be optimistic don't hold back and always know that if it doesn't work out you gave it your best you can find somebody else just like you found this one.

latinarubia

Mar 6, 2003
Welcome back girl!! I'm glad you had a good time and all went well with..excuse me?...tu novio nuevo..haha!! I hope to hear at least some of the details.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
You look as if you could be Dominican?

I first visited the DR in 1984.After about 100 trips to this beautiful island,I moved here in 1996.Could you,after 2 brief trips to an "All-Inclusive" North Shore resort,please tell me,what does a "Dominican",look like???? I am sure there are thousands of "DR1ers" who would like to know!!!! CCCCCCCC

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
uh..Cris...have you seen my picture in the gallery? White girl, blue eyes...but I have been mistaken for a Dominican, a Colombian, and a Venezuelan (vzlna many times, and at the Miami airport, by a customs agent, once). I think it's about how you present yourself, how well you speak the language or with what accent...and of course, avoiding looking like a tourist! The guys at the POP airport asked me 2x if I was Dominican!! Maybe our anitabonita had some curve-hugging jeans, lipstick, and a savvy look about her, instead tennis shoes, sweatpants or shorts...there IS a latin look, I love it! When I get to Miami or PR going on a trip down south, I change from my New England attire (my husband calls me an LLBean model) to something a bit more Latin! It's all in the presentation. Lay off the girl.

http://www.xach.com/photos/gallery/machias-1999-04-26/rebecca-amity-4-med.jpg (not the hippy) and http://www.xach.com/fourth/amity_darts.html

vs.

http://www.xach.com/amity/drweb/faces/faces-004-med.jpg

MG, feeling a bit like Narcissus today

anitabonita

Mar 6, 2003
parezco como una dominicana

although i don't know if i really look dominican or not, i DO consider it a very high compliment when i am told so. my picture has been up in the media gallery for some time, and i just posted a new one today.

i do like to think i 'blend' a little better than the typical tourist though. me gusta mi color....

anita

dale7

Apr 18, 2002
www.stores.ebay.com
anitabonita

Just checked the media gallery, since Dominicans look so different, I would think you were if seeing you in the DR. Nice looking lady you are. Good luck with the new boyfriend. It is funny my novia is very light with freckles and when we are together I look like a gringo because I am lol, and many times she is mistaken for a tourist, (Italian or European) and she hates that.

dale7(Howard)

latinarubia

Mar 6, 2003
I can relate to MaineGirl's comment. Although I am latina I look more or less white (will post pic soon) but when I visited DR I had several people ask if I was Dominican, might have something to do with my fro (despite that I've lightened to almost blonde). I don't know but many commented on how good my Spanish was so that may have helped.
When I left the resort with a morenito friend I made there, I didn't feel that people looked at us in any way, people where still friendly towards me. We went to a club outside the resort and I was the only "white" person in the entire place, the girlfriend I went with is black so I was literally the only one but I felt fine there. A lot of the girls there were really sweet, complimenting me and just generally being very nice.
I wouldn't doubt though that some people in some places might stare or treat you differently, it has happened to me when I've dated guys of colour here in Toronto so it wouldn't surprise me!

Goingthere

Mar 24, 2003
It's definitely true that there is a classic "Dominican" look for the the ladies (this is not to say that there are not many different looks in the latin diaspora). This is how I found out...

My now husband (who's Dominican) used to make suggestions on little "things" I could change here and there. Things like "why don't you try dying your hair darker (or black)", "Try making your eyebrows thinner", "how 'bout some tight jeans"...

I just laughed him off at first. Over time though, I did incorporate some of the changes, just becayse. What happened of course, is that when we'd visit DR everyone thought I was Dominican (I'm already a lighter skinned Jamaican-American). The official at the airport almost didn't let me leave (and he was checking my passport and trying to lift off the photo to see if it was fake!).

After being in DR a few times now, it occured to me that there definitely is a "look". This is fine with me, 'cause I like it! It can be bien sexy!

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
Going there... i've had similiar experiences at the airport, but it wasn't because they would let me leave, they all keep asking me if I had a boyfriend.

When going through customs I always try to pick the line with the overweight, ugly man, knowing pretty much he'll look at my American passport and then me and let me through, but not without a "Dios le bendiga ese cuerpo tu" or something along those lines.

I too can pass as a Dominican, I speak spanish with a good accent usually people will ask if I'm from the cibao. I used to play with them and tell them of some campito I was from etc. etc. Now I just say no, I'm american but lived many years in the DR.

Goingthere

Mar 24, 2003
Yep, I guess it's a pretty standard thing for the girls to get harrassed at the airport. It's either one thing or the other. But, I'm learning to roll with the punches or I'll have a heart attack!

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
I just use it towards my advantage, flirting can get you out of a lot of situations.