Tourist Visa

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
Does anyone know where I need to go to renew my tourist visa? My 90 days are up. I understand that the penalty is practically nothing but I want to keep my paperwork current.

Anyone know? I've heard somewhere near the Malecon but I'm not so sure.

Thanks for any help.

Scandall

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
If you DO find the right gov. offive,...........

..I doubt that they will know how to extend your Tourist Visa! Since you will be the first "tourist" ever to actually try to do so! Really,don't look for problems! You will have zero trouble at the airport! People do go years without renewing their visa! It is about 80 pesos fine for each year.You go "looking" for help,and it may start trouble! Relax,you are in the Dominican Republic! Cris Colon

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
Hey Chris Colon........I understand exactly what you mean. Here's why I decided to renew it:

I got in a car accident last month and they specifically looked to see if my Visa was current. Not being current could have made "more problems" for me.

A friend said it's a simple procedure of forking over a few pesos for another few months. An accident could happen again and I don't want to deal with the BullS&*$ I did last time.

By the way. If you drive in the DR. Talk to your insurance provider about the Casa De Conductores (House of Drivers). It's an insurance hotel that you pay 1,000 pesos per year to be a member. If you are pulled over for a driving violation (even hitting a pedestrian...God forbid) or an accident they bring you there. It is located on Bolivar. There is a judge assigned there as well as Policia Nacional and AMET. You check into a room and they do all the work. There's even a pool and restaurant!

I didn't have this membership until after my accident. Trust me, I spent the better part of 2 weeks going all over God's creation being treated like absolute shit. Pay the 1,000 pesos and you'll never have to see the inside of the police station etc. It was a friggin' nightmare. Be safe---Scandall

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Thanks for that Hotel information! Can you take a girl with you?

I have had 3 fairly serious accidents here in the last 7 years.Fortunately they were "serious" for the people I hit,and not for me! I was able to do the "Dominican Thing",and run away from the scene! I have huge "Defensas" front and rear! I will do the hotel thing,I might not be able to RUN sometime!There is a law that your "foreign" drivers license is only valid here for 45 or 90 days,I can't remember which! Criscccccccccccccccccc

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Scandall said:
Does anyone know where I need to go to renew my tourist visa? My 90 days are up. I understand that the penalty is practically nothing but I want to keep my paperwork current.

Anyone know? I've heard somewhere near the Malecon but I'm not so sure.

Thanks for any help.

Scandall

There is a procedure described in the MOON guidebook Dominican Republic Guide. It is too long to describe here and in fact is quite amusing to read as you go to various places and see some old man etc., and pay like $US 100 for the privilege and it takes 2 days.

Now given that a buddy of mine (he doesn't drive, I admit) paid RD$ 350 for 22 months in excess of his 90 days (e.g. he paid US$ 16), and they have this booth just for this purpose, this seems like a lot of work.

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
Hola Scandall!!!!!!

This is a great post!!!
How long have you been in the DR??
Tell us something about your self.

My 1st time greeting for new posters.

DR1 has---
Members: 3,319, Threads: 21,112, Posts: 122,398

Do your homework (Search, Search, and Search again!)
Ask your questions.
And Good Luck!

By the way---
Welcome to DR1!!! :cool::cool::cool::cool:

Thanks
Tim H.

Help, and be Helped.
That?s why were here!!!

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
about Scandall........

Thanks for the welcome. I've been a member and floated throughout DR1 for about a year. I have lived in the DR (Santo Domingo) for about 6 months now. I have rarely posted but am starting to follow the boards a bit more lately. You guys keep it reasonably interesting!

I'm 31, from Boston and I teach English here (Codetel, Escuela Nacional de Justicia). Single, and live with my dog that I brought from the U.S. I also run a pro-wrestling company in the Boston area (www.chaoticwrestling.com) and a pro wrestling school (www.chaotictc.com) and will be producing a show here in May. We work pretty closely with the WWE. There has to be a few closet wrestling fans on this board, whether they admit to it or not. I'll be bringing in some of the WWF Legends for the show. No. The Rock and Hulk Hogan will not be there. They are a bit beyond the budget.

I'm always up for a few cold Presidente's. Shoot me an email (RandyintheDR@hotmail.com) if you're not a serial killer.

Do most of those who post here live in the DR?

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
Time to answer my own Visa question....

I found the Migration office. It's at the intersection of the Malecon and Churchill. Go inside to Caja #6......RD $40 for another 2 months. No waiting, no questions.

I usually like to fly under the radar too but that could always come back to bite one in the ass. Thanks for the help.

lhtown

Jan 8, 2002
When you got in a wreck, probably the reason they were so interested in your visa is that you US license is techically only good for 90 days after your date of entry. A technicality that might have cost you a bit of dough. The bummer is that you have to either have something like a work visa or a residency to get a Dominican license unless the rules have been updated in the last year or so.