US Citizenship for the kid?

Goingthere

Mar 24, 2003
My husband (who is a Dominican and a US citizen) and I (US citizen) are thinking about moving to Santo Domingo. I have a few questions I hope you all can help with. From reading around the forums, I have come to understand that I would be eligible for Dominican citizenship. Can you provide some details on how and how quickly this process can happen in this case? Also, If I were to become a Dominican citizen as well and we decide to have a child, will that child be considered a US citizen automatically? Thanks in advance for your help!

Marlin Hunter

May 18, 2002
A child of U.S. citizen parents, born outside the United States, automatically receives U.S. citizenship only after certain proofs are submitted to the United States consulate. One of the parents must be a United States citizen and must prove that he or she lived in the United States for five continuous years after he or she was, I think 18 years old but it could be 21.

In the DR, because of past abuses, meeting all requirements for the childs citizenship is difficult. The U.S. consulate is very, very careful. We personally know a couple, both U.S. citizens, both born in the U.S., who had a child born in the D.R. in December, 2000. The mother told us that the consulate required DNA testing of both parents and the child and it took about 1 1/2 years for the child to receive his birth certificate and passport.

My wife is Dominican, I am a natural born U.S. citizen. Our son was born in Guatemala. There, I only had to prove that I had met the requirement of having livied in the United States for 5 years after I was an adult. We had out son's birth certificate and U.S. passport within a week after I submitted the application and documentation, when the baby was five weeks old.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Why on earth would you want to have Dominican citizenship?

That little blue passport is a door opener all over the world.

I think you had better think about this and get good advice from both Fabio, our resident lawyer and the US Consulate....

A) Benefits of being a Dominican citizen: You don't have to have residency hassles and that trip to Santo Domingo every so many years to pay the tax.

B) Downside of being a Dominican citizen. You can't go anywhere without a visa. You are hassled at US Immigration.

Or are you thinking of carrying dual citizenship? I do not think you can do that very easily...Again the Consulate is your best advisor. As a US born citizen you have to go to the US consualte to renounce your American citizenship, or are you planning on tricking the US Government and not tell anyone??

HB

Goingthere

Mar 24, 2003
Nah man, I'm not crazy! But, I got the impression from reading around the forum that dual citizenship was a possiblity since I married a Dominican citizen and the US and DR have a Dual citizenship agreement. I'm not sure about the technicalities though...that's why I'm asking.

I am not renouncing my US citizenship at all. I just figured that if we were gonna live there for any length of time, it would be easier. I vaguely remember reading something in a forum that said it's easier to get DR citizenship than DR residency? hum...

Thanks for the feedback!

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
When acquiring a foreign citizenship, in this case Dominican citizenship, you do not have to renounce your US citizenship. Actually, it is very difficult to renounce your US citizenship. Just acquiring another citizenship does not mean you are dropping your US citizenship. The US recognizes dual nationals.

Chilipepper

Mar 28, 2003
Dual Citizenship

As I understand it, only people that are natural born Dominicans and became citizens of the US can aquire the dual citizenship. But people born in the US of Dominican parents are not eligible.

For example, my parents were both born in the DR and became US citizens, they moved to DR a last month, they both have their cedulas and are "Dominican Citizens", but when they travel, they use their US passports. I cannot get a cedula, cause I was born in the US.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
This is not correct. The US recognizes the right of their citizens to acquire another nationality by claims of marriage or through their parents, regardless whether they are born in the US. There is extensive information on this on the Internet.

Goingthere

Mar 24, 2003
Hey Chilipepper,

From the research I've done, if you were born of DR citizens, then when you reach 18 you are eligible for DR Citizenship. Of that much, I am fairly certain, but thanks for your comments anyway.

Dolores, thanks for the info! That sounds about right.

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
A person born of a Dominican father or Dominican mother has the right to acquire Dominican citizenship by virtue of Article 11 of the Constitution and Article 26 of Law 1683 of 1948. The steps to be taken are the following:

1. Petition to the Minister of Interior.

2. Affidavit prepared by a Notary Public in which the applicant states his wish to apply for Dominican citizenship.

3.Birth certificate of the applicant, authenticated at a Dominican Consulate and translated into Spanish by an official translator.

4.Birth certificate of the applicant?s Dominican parent.

5.Four pictures, 2 x 2 inches.

6.Application and newspaper fees.