I'm heading to Samana, can anyone help?

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
I am asking you all for some help please!
I'm trying to get a flight out to Puerta Plata and then head to Samana. Any suggestions on the best was to get to Samana? I was told there was a small airport in Samana is that true?
Also any good sites to check out Samana?
Any hotel recommendations?

I know too many questions lol!

I thank you in advance!!

Ciao

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Here is a website for info on Samana http://www.samana.net/sn-english.htm

You should also do a search of the dr1 archives for Samana. Plus take a look at this dr1 page http://dr1.com/travel/samana/

There is an airport in Samana. You could charter a plane to take you there from the Puerto Plata airport. Otherwise, there is a Caribe Tour bus to Samana leaving Puerto Plata at 7am and Sosua at 7:30. Otherwise you will need to take a taxi or rent a car.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
It is great!

There are also buses from Santiago, so you might look at flights into Santiago from Miami or Newark or JFK...

There are buses all day long out that way.

HB

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
Thanks Hillbilly, but I live in Canada and I'll be flying out from Toronto.
Do you know any good priced hotels to stay at in Samana?

Thanks again!!

nacho

Nov 22, 2002
I stayed in Las Terrenas about a year ago. The area to the west was great, called Playa Bonita. I ended up staying at the Playa Bonita Hotel (I think that was the name). Reasonably priced, all inclusive or not, choice is up to the guest.

I hear the waterfalls are something to see - El Limon or something-, I didn't bother going, I only wanted to veg out on the sand. And that is what i did...no crowds....not many people at all. Las Terrenas is a small town with more action, but the beach no where near as nice, Playa Bonita is only a couple of klicks away.

jojocho

Jul 10, 2002
Don't miss Playa Rincon, in the Las Galeras area!!

I stayed at a hotel called Villa Serena a couple of years ago. It's fantastic, but it's not what I would call cheap. I think they have a website so you could probably google it.

judyisnice

Oct 11, 2002
TRIP TO SAMANA

MUSIC

I've just returned from thr D.R. and my girlffriend and I did the road trip up to Samana....wonderful!!
The roads are much better than I thought they would be.
I have not been on them for many many years, in fact they were all rocks and gravel and potholes that could eat your tires in no time. So don't fear them ,get a car and enjoy your trip!!
There are so many beautiful places to see.

You don't even need a 4x4 for that trip. I got one because I also went to Punta Rucia and I did need the 4x4 to get through the rivers I went through to get there as I went the wrong way!!
Still we had a wonderful time and found the friends I was looking for.

please feel free email for more info.

Also very much enjoyed meeting EDDY at his bar in SOSUA
WHAT A NICE PERSON !

JUDY NICE

;)

That is in American dollars, also i would suggest renting a car instead of taking a bus there. Just make a left and folllow the coast east all the way to en of island, very nice drive and the views are great. You will want to stop at Nagua to eat at one of the beach restaurants.
I cant wait im going to Puerto plata Wedsday morning to gt away from this snow storm in NE today. see ya there!!!!! :)))))

lynndy

Apr 14, 2003
I live in Samana. The beaches are gorgeous. And, yes, the roads are great at this point! The only one that's still a little rough is the one to Rincon. Las Terrenas is the most developed area in Samana, tourism-wise, but I like Las Galeras for its close proximity to two gorgeous beaches - Playa Rincon and Playa Fronton. You can get to them from Las Galeras by boat or on horseback. You can drive to Rincon, too, but like I said, it's a little rough, and I recommend a 4x4. If you get to Playa Fronton, take a snorkel - lots of coral reefs!

The waterfall at El Limon is a nice outing. Take the road that goes from the town of Samana to Las Terrenas, and there are several places along the way that will provide you with a horse and guide to get to the falls.

For lodging in Las Galeras, Casa Marina Bay is nice for a large, all-inclusive place, but Club Bonito is a great little hotel, too, and it's right in town. (Not that there's much to the town!) check out www.club-bonito.com.

Hope you have a great trip!:classic:

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
Samana

lynndy,

Thanks for the information!
I'm excited, I hear it's really nice in Samana.
I will have fun, definatley looking forward to seeing the DR !

Thanks again!