Cabarete or Playa Dorada?

jojo

Mar 26, 2003
Hi,
I'm kind of new to these boards and I find them very informative! The info is great!
I have a question. I am going to go to DR in 2 weeks, from April 12 to the 19th, 2003. And I've read alot about the north coast, specifically Cabarete, Playa Dorada, and also Sosua. I've also read about how the beaches get packed with Dominicans during the week before Easter - this is great, I can't wait! My question is... do the beaches and beach towns only get packed in Cabarete and Sosua? Do Dominicans also holiday in Playa Dorada, or is that area mostly for tourists?

I'm going with a friend, and we are 2 gals in our late twenties. We like the nightlife, we love to dance. We like to also explore the local culture and meet people from everywhere!
Where would be a better place to get a hotel for us? We are thinking of booking one in Cabarete, but they do have some good deals in the Playa Dorada area too.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Any info would be appreciated! And I'm sorry if this question has been asked before, I've gone through some of the archives but haven't made it through them all yet and I'm leaving in 2 weeks!
Gracias,
Jojo :confused:

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
HI!
I personally think Cabarete is a much better place if you want variety. There are bars and pubs all over and nightlife is usually good plus there`s always stuff to do at daytime.

Dec 9, 2002
Cabarete and Playa Dorada are totally different in that Playa Dorada is specifically a hotel complex - you enter through big gates and leave through big gates. There are security guards all over the place, and what nightlife there is is aimed more at tourists. That said, there's nothing to stop you jumping in a cab and heading out of the complex to Puerto Plata.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Regarding the beaches during Semana Santa, the biggest crowds on the beaches will be Thursday, Friday and Saturday, especially Friday and Saturday. Sunday the Dominicans will be heading back to Santo Domingo, Santiago, and elsewhere.There will be plenty of Dominicans on the beach at Playa Dorada, but they will be guests of the various hotels who have booked the various Semana Santa packages that hotels sell locally to fill their rooms. On the beaches of Sosua and Cabarete will be Dominicans who are in town for the day, or renting an apartment or house for the holiday, or staying in the hotels of Sosua and Cabarete, or who are guests in Playa Dorada who prefer the ambiance of the beaches in Sosua and Playa Dorada.

jojo

Mar 26, 2003
Thanks for the responses! We decided on staying at Cabarete. I can't wait, the countdown begins! 13 more days! :cool:

Salute from a DR newbie and a DR1 newbie!

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
I will be in town from the 14th. Too bad you are going on the 19th because we have a big party going on in Sosua on that day.

There is a place on the beach called LAX in Cabarete that I love to sit and listen to music. Cool stuff.

If you would like to get together one day or evening my cell phone is 853-6158. Have a great time!