The word "Puta"

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I've noticed that a few people in here just love to use the word 'puta' to refer to dominicans who work at carwash, boca chica, etc...(I.e. Mommc, Larry, etc...) I hate that word, even more so because you guys use it and don't know how to use in the dominican context. FYI in The Dominican Republic the word puta does not mean prostitute, but someone who's a flirt (slut). If you want to call DR women prostitutes at least use the right word, which in the DR is "cuero".

It's 6:00 AM...I can't sleep...Just venting about one of my pet peeves...

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Thanks for the info!!

While I have heard that word used on occasion mostly the people who talk about these Sex Trade Workers refer to them as "puta's"!
I'll add "cuero" (or should it be cuera?) to my Dominican vocabulary!!

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
suarezn said:
I've noticed that a few people in here just love to use the word 'puta' to refer to dominicans who work at carwash, boca chica, etc...(I.e. Mommc, Larry, etc...) I hate that word, even more so because you guys use it and don't know how to use in the dominican context. FYI in The Dominican Republic the word puta does not mean prostitute, but someone who's a flirt (slut). If you want to call DR women prostitutes at least use the right word, which in the DR is "cuero".

It's 6:00 AM...I can't sleep...Just venting about one of my pet peeves...

Go back to sleep. You need it
Cuero is Dominican SLANG used to refer to what some people call Sluts as well as prostitutes.
Puta is Castillian for whore and if used throughout the Spanish speaking world including the DR.
BTW Spanish is Spanish. Slang is slang! Try not to confuse the two.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
They may use it in Spain and other spanish speaking countries, but in the DR a prostitute/whore is either a 'prostituta' or a 'cuero'. In the DR when we say 'Que mujer mas puta...' or 'Esa es mas puta que las gallinas...' we're not saying that woman is a prostitute, but a slut.
Mommc: The word is cuero. That's one of those words that doesn't conform to the rule of feminime words. If you say cuera people will understand, though. Kind of like when English speaking people say 'puerta plata' or 'punto cana'. We understand what they're saying, but it's not the way we would say it.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I will side with Suarezn on this issue!

While the use of "PUTA" to indicate a prostitute is common in the Spanish speaking world outside the DR,it is not usually used for that purpose here."Puta" is often used by English speakers,and other foreign nationals, who are ignorant of the Dominican use of "cuero",or more commonly,"cuerito" for prostitute! Any woman or girl may be "acting" "putica",or "slutty" at some time.This does not make them a prostitute!
Another often misunderstood,and therefore misused word is "chulo"!Very seldom used to indicate a "pimp". More often used to say "Bonito",or "pretty"! "Ponerse chulo" does not therefore mean to "become a pimp",but to make yourself 'Pretty"!"Chulisimo" means "really pretty"!
Go Figure! If I am a little "off" in my definitions here just remember that I am not dominican,just trying to learn to communicate in the DR! I leave the accurate definitions to Saurezn and other REAL dominicans! CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
I'll explain it again!!!!

I'll type R E A L L Y S L O W for you guys!

Cuero is slang. Yes Domincans use it to describe prostitutes but it is more commonly used to describe a promiscuous woman.

Puta is the Correct Spanish word. It is not used in polite company but it is still the right word to use. It is similar to using the word "whore" instead of "prostitute" in English conversation/

Dominican is not a language. Castillian(Spanish) is a language.

To say that anybody in the DR who uses the word "Puta" is wrong just shows ignorance. If anything using the word "Cuero", to describe a prostitute, is not speaking proper Spanish.

Apr 26, 2002
Cool it, Tony

In America, to "cool it" means to be asked to calm down. In England, to "cool it" means to lower something's temperature. English is a language, American is not. Using your logic, the American useage cannot exist, and anyone who says that it does is wrong. Right?

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Re: Cool it, Tony

Porfio_Rubirosa said:
In America, to "cool it" means to be asked to calm down. In England, to "cool it" means to lower something's temperature. English is a language, American is not. Using your logic, the American useage cannot exist, and anyone who says that it does is wrong. Right?

Wrong

To Cool means to lower somethings temperature.
"To cool it" can mean to lower ones anger or attitude.
I can say I am putting the beer in the refridgerator to "cool it" and most Americans would understand exactly what I mean.
I can tell a screaming pissed off Brit to "Cool It!" and he will also know what I mean.

Once again people are confusing slang with language.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
TonyC

If you can wade through the thick egotistical snooty braggart of TonyC's posts you discover pure intellect and truth(that means no lies).Tony..you da man.
Larry

and yes, I have delcared braggart as an adjective because I feel it fits and I dont care. I felt like putting it there.

Last edited:

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
whatever...

OK fine, so a puta is a slut, not a whore. Does it really matter? Anywhere you go, a sex worker is going to have pretty broad standards for sexual partners, and therefore qualify as a slut as well. Most prostitutes I have known would be having sex as much as possible during their free time whether they were getting paid or not. So to you they may be "cueros" but they are also "putas".

Try to remember though, that often when foreigners speak Spanish differently from Dominicans it is not always because of ignorance on their part, sometimes it because of ignorance on the part of Dominicans.

People in the campos can be so uneducated they don't know what "Ah, pues esta bien" means, they have only ever heard "Ah, po' 'ta bien" and since they can't read, they think that's the only way to say it. How many times have you seen the word "peydida" on the back of a concho whose license plate fell off with the last rusted slab of metal he left in the gutter? If you showed him one that said "Perdida" on it, he probably would think it meant something else.

One of the coolest things about Spanish is that you can generally expect that things are spelt the way they sound, a nice break from English which borrows spelling rules from every European language and then ignores half of them. Now that Dominicans have found a way to mess that up, I think it would be unwise for you to now go insisting that everyone else copy your bad Spanish.

Cuero means "leather" or "animal skin" in every other Spanish speaking country, it does not mean "naked" or "prostitute" like it does here. I think anyone who wants to learn Spanish would be wise to stay away from terms that are only understood by a very small minority of the world's Spanish speakers.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
This is DR1! We live ,or love the "Dominican Experience"!!

Thank God our English "DR1ers" don't chime in everytime we "Americans" butcher "their" language! To paraphrase Sir Winston Churchill,"We are two people,separated by a common language!" Point being,just as Americans from different geographic locations,economic conditions,age groups,and social/racial backgrounds speak various dialects and "slangs",so do the Dominican peoples,so do all peoples.I don't think it is necessary to point out every word or phrase commonly used in the DR when it is not the same as the "Castillano" spoken in Spain,and to a certain degree in all "Spanish" speaking countries.American "English" is the most dynamic,living, language on the Planet,and the most popular! Why,because it can "invent,modify,and change hourly! Something new comes along,"Bam",there is a word for it! Spanish, and many other languages spoken around the world are falling victim to American Englisk,for better or for worse.

"Y'all cum back naw y'hea" Cris Colon

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
suarezn said:
They may use it in Spain and other spanish speaking countries, but in the DR a prostitute/whore is either a 'prostituta' or a 'cuero'. In the DR when we say 'Que mujer mas puta...' or 'Esa es mas puta que las gallinas...' we're not saying that woman is a prostitute, but a slut.
Mommc: The word is cuero. That's one of those words that doesn't conform to the rule of feminime words. If you say cuera people will understand, though. Kind of like when English speaking people say 'puerta plata' or 'punto cana'. We understand what they're saying, but it's not the way we would say it.
Gee thats strange,in 18 plus years Ive rarely heard Dominicans use the term cuero for whores almost always puta,in the time I spent in Mexico however cuero was the word
J.H.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Maybe it is a "North Shore/South Shore" thing!

Down "South" it is always a "Cuero/Cuerito/Cueraso!" thing. Also,sometimes a dominican will use the word you are using to help you understand. If you always ask for the "Papelero"(wastepaper basket) they will say that the "papelero" is in the corner.A dominican would ask for the "Zafacon",even though it is really a "Rubbish Bin"(I would say "gaahbage can"or even "Dupsta"but I'm from Boston!

You say "tomato" and I say "tomaaahto"! Does it matter? NO!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
"Voy PaYa!"

Petaka

Nov 8, 2002
What Spanish?

In the US you walk on the "sidewalk". In Mexico you walk on the "meseta". In the DR you walk on the "acera".

In Miami, Cuban sandwich shop owners that do nothing but brag about anything are called "come mieh'da". :D

Last edited:

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
Re: What Spanish?

Petaka said:
In the US you walk on the "sidewalk". In Mexico you walk on the "meseta". In the DR you walk on the "acera".

In Miami, Cuban sandwich shop owners that do nothing but brag about anything are called "come mieh'da". :D

Hahahahaha thats pretty accurate :laugh:

gonzaga

Mar 19, 2002
Suarezn,

A womam/man who flits, is consider to be sexy. A definition of a slut is very different. Anyone who is very confident, knows quality flirting and it's a very sensual and powerful talent for both female/male. I admire a man who possess this talent and knows how to use it. If you need lessons let me know and you won't be sorry, HE,HE. Let me tell you, one never forgets anyone whom they meet who are experienced at flirting. I don't need to say more.

Regards Queen of Flirts, and no CC you do not get any lessons.

Apr 26, 2002
Re: Maybe it is a "North Shore/South Shore" thing!

Criss Colon said:
...I would say "gaahbage can"or even "Dupsta"but I'm from Boston!

You say "tomato" and I say "tomaaahto"! Does it matter? NO!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
"Voy PaYa!"

Imagine a Cibaoeno with a Boston accent. No Ss OR Rs:

"No quiehoh esa cuehoh ahoha. Quieyo mihah los Red Sox. Mi favohito es Nomah Gahiapahah. Pasame un Maiboho paha fumah tambien. No hay? Irme paha el Stah Mahket entonceh"

Last edited:

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Re: I'll explain it again!!!!

Tony C said:
I'll type R E A L L Y S L O W for you guys!

Cuero is slang. Yes Domincans use it to describe prostitutes but it is more commonly used to describe a promiscuous woman.

Puta is the Correct Spanish word. It is not used in polite company but it is still the right word to use. It is similar to using the word "whore" instead of "prostitute" in English conversation/

Dominican is not a language. Castillian(Spanish) is a language.

To say that anybody in the DR who uses the word "Puta" is wrong just shows ignorance. If anything using the word "Cuero", to describe a prostitute, is not speaking proper Spanish.

Lets get a few facts straight.

1. Puta is an old Castilian word that is also....guess what ...it began as a SLANG. And to those of us who uderstand that languages evolve and dialiects form, we know that over time isolated cultures develop their own dialects....and slang words eventually become part of the language.

2. Spanish did not exist when Columbus left Spain. In Spain at that time, there were several languages spoken, most of them a combination of: Arabic, Vulgar Latin, Gothic (Scandanivia origins), Celtic.

3. Spaniard conquerors brought both Castilian and Andalasian dialects of Spanish. THerefore, what is spoken in the DR is a combination of both, although it is mainly derived from Castilian.

4. Cuero means skin or hide. according to my dictianries, "en cuero" means to be naked. Therefore, Cuero can be more easily associated with the topic at hand.