local males

ukcouple

Mar 31, 2003
we are comming to the DR for the 1st time in June.My question is are the local males similar to the guys in jamaica in that they are always hitting on the women even when they know they are with their husbands.My wife likes spending all day on the beach while I tend to go ot and about, when I used to come back in jamaica the guys had always been trying it on with her.

arenas809

May 22, 2002
dominican men are FRECOS...trust me, I'm one of them :) lol...i'm dominican but not freco...but anyway basically that means is yes, if a guy sees your girl and she looks good or whatever, that's not going to stop him from saying something to her.

Tell her to watch out for the thing when she shakes a guy's hand and he tickles her palm with his middle finger...

jose?to

The thread finally snapped...
Jun 19, 2002
I had a conversation with a young spring-breaker from St. Louis, MO, in Cabeza de Toro (between B?varo and Punta Cana) two weeks ago, and she said that she prefers Jamaica to the D.R. because the guys there don't bother her as much. She was of the opinion that Jamaicans were more laid-back, and Dominicans were way too aggressive.

-Jose?to

lena_l0l

Nov 30, 2002
my reply

When I went to DR I had a similar experience as your wife. My mom and I were on the beach and a man approached my mom. My mom knows Spanish 100% with no accent, so when she said she wasn't interested for anything, he let her be.
Personally, if I had to choose between a vacation in Jamaica or DR, I'd choose DR. Mainly because I have family there and also because I speak and understand Spanish perfectly. I hear Jamaica has a high murder rate, so that scares me off, among other things...

'Nuff said...

Bugsey34

Bronze
Feb 15, 2002
I think they're already decided to go to the DR...

Dominican guys, especially of a certain type, will most certainly tell your wife how good they think she looks while you are standing right there, nevermind when she is alone. But I would take it in stride, unless you are really worried your wife is about to cheat on you. My boyfriend used to say "Si, es tan linda, no?"

hollywood north

Dec 11, 2002
www.cybersecretary.ca
The difference is in Jamaica they hit on EVERYONE....whether you are attractive or a whale on the beach. They don't care - you could be the ticket to paradise!!!

In the DR however, it's more subtle.....yes men will approach but will generally leave you alone if you ask them to, and unless they are true sankies, won't look twice at hieffers.....

Been to both places and prefer DR men one thousandfold....less pushy, not rude and usually you still get a smile even with a nice no thank you.

Have a fantastic trip-don't worry about anything, and try to make a few trips out of the resort to meet people, experience the beauty of the country and the people.

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
arenas809 said:
dominican men are FRECOS...trust me, I'm one of them :) lol...i'm dominican but not freco...but anyway basically that means is yes, if a guy sees your girl and she looks good or whatever, that's not going to stop him from saying something to her.

Tell her to watch out for the thing when she shakes a guy's hand and he tickles her palm with his middle finger...

Very true, we are "freco" but some take it to the extreme.......if she gets tickled the guy's gonna think that she's "bellaka" Puerto Rican or Dominican ghetto slanguage meaning she's a freak and/or she's horny too

Theresa

Vettehead from Buckhead
Jan 16, 2002
She will not only get hit on but she'll probably get more!!! Attention starved women havefound their haven in the DR. Better bring a harness unless you are a swinging couple.

ukcouple

Mar 31, 2003
Thanks for all the replies, as long as its only a guys finger tickling her palm I wont be to worried...lol

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
My GF is Dominican and she is real good at ignoring them. She never pays them any attention. She doesn't even look to see who is saying what.

I OTOH, like messing with them a bit. They have no idea how disrespectful it is, they are brought up to think it is OK.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
You just need to use "The Look"!

Don't respond in any way,shape,or form! Look straight ahead! Don't change your facial expression! Don't say a word,they don't EXIST!!!!! Works on anyone you don't want to "interact" with! If you acknowledge the presence of a beggar,vendor,"sanki",or "tigre",even to say "No!",they move it!CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Amber

Jan 24, 2003
OMG

I have to actually agree with CCC on this one!!
What is this world coming to????
You definelty have to look straight ahead and ignore them. No exeptions.

:bandit:

ukcouple

Mar 31, 2003
thanks for the advice and yes holywood we do intend to get out and visit what seems to be a lovely island.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Another strategy

When I travel to the DR I usually go alone. I'm a reasonably good looking female and I get approached constantly (especially while dancing)

What I do is say I already have a Dominican boyfriend. Then they leave me alone!!! It means I don't have to be rude and they usually treat me very nicely after that.....