In Search Of Dominicans

arenas809

May 22, 2002
In light of these recent dominican "romance" stories, and yes there are plenty of them, it just makes me wonder that if we're so bad people, and we screw people over in relationships, why are people going to the country to meet one?

If it's just for a good piece...ok I understand that, but then why is it going to another level, as in relationships, marriages, etc.?

I still believe you could find a good dominican, problem is, most of us aren't at resorts, and we aren't sankies, hint 1.

Hint 2, you don't even have to go to DR to meet a dominican. We're all over, in fact, there's this place called New York City, most of us are there!

Hint 3, use common sense. Most of these stories, I have heard, and I'm referring to ones that didn't necessarily come from the board, just involve people that didn't use common sense. You're doing everything for someone, to make their life better, and they can't really offer you the same, why?

Lastly, heartbreakers are everywhere, not just DR.

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
arenas809...

I agree with you on some things...

Believe me...I have tried to look for a Dominican here in the states...

The first one I met at a Marlins game...it was raining, I had an umbrella and was blocking his view...and he...very nicely told me...and in less time it takes the Marlins to lose a game, he was sitting next to me, telling his sob story...

Next, a singer from a well known band...he needed to buy something before going back to DR...I said I had no money, and he never called again!

DO I THINK THEY ARE ALL THE SAME?...No, these guys have their visas, they live here...they are not STW or sankies...but they act like them!!!

I try to give people the benefit of the doubt though, so I still haven't given up...

And I agree that heartbreakers are everywhere...I for one have never dated anyone from my OWN country...I don't like the way they treat women!!!

I do get kind of offended when people who enjoy a 'fling' with a Dominican end up talking bad about them when something goes wrong...

Just my sleepy opinion...Still haven't slept since I started celebrating my b-day on Wed!!! ;)

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Happily married to a Dominican

I wonder if the main problem with mixed relationships as far as Dominicans with non-Dominicans could be the difference in attitudes towards materialism.

Americans, Canadians and Europeans have the luxury of being fed up wit the constant persuit of material gain, while Dominicans as a rule have not had nearly enough material blessings to begin to tire of them and start looking for "something more".

Generally this means that as a foreigner you will have to sift through a lot of Dominicans to find one who is either rich or idealistic enough to not just be out for your money or a Visa. This kind of person will generally NOT be found on the beach.

I'm sure alot of guys tell themselves maybe they will just go ahead and dangle that visa carrot when they're trying to get a Dominican girl in bed, and then if they start to feel an attachment they may be willing to fool themselves into thinking it's not about the visa anymore, most of the time in relationships it's pretty easy to forget how it began.

Lore

Mar 9, 2003
Arena809 - Right on the money (I know - very bad pun!)

I agree with you completely. It pretty well boils to each persons expectations of what they want - regardless of nationality. The only way to do that is over time. "Jumping" to the next level right off the bat does not usually provide a great basis for any long term relationship, if that is what one is truly looking for. If the other person has the same expectations they will completely understand and if they don't, they won't hang around long enough to see how it ends. They never had the long term relationship as an expectation in the beginning and you are better off without them. That goes for users/losers in any country!

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Arenas they are not all bad. Users and abusers are everywhere in the world. We can find them right in our own home towns. But is seems like some people like reading and writing about the negative. How exciting is it to read how happy some couples are?
I like to hear the happy stories but then I'm strange.

I wanted to add that with any nationalty people will treat you the way you ALLOW them to treat you. So if someone continues to treat you badly then you are giving them permission to do so.

Last edited:

Amber

Jan 24, 2003
so true arenas

We are definetly scattered all over the place and blend into most places so that non dominicans can?t even tell where we are from.
There is one more hint.. How about not looking for a particular nationality-race? It seems some people are concentrating too much on a particular trait when what matters is that the heart feels and hears you.
Sometimes, if you close your eyes and listen to the person, you will have a good idea of what they are about.
Another ?hint?is that if the two are?not in the same page of the book, then the relationship will ost likely fail.. Are you both looking and ready for the same things? HOw much do you really know about each other? How many doubts come to mind when you think abou this person? If we were to pay attention to our instincts, we might avoid a bit of heartbreak...
Amber

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
I agree with most of what has been said here!

I too know Dominican couples who are happily married, faithful to each other and have a successful family life.
They are both Dominicans or one Dominican-one extranjero however, they all live on the island and are all from middle to upper income families.
They all met most of the requirements of HB's "Three Golden Rules" (and if you think of it most successful relationships in ANY country do meet these rules)!

I'm still waiting to hear some success stories as relates to "resort" workers or STW's in the "True Romance" thread.
I'd also like to see Jane J., Trina, Helen and Jessica post their stories in that thread along with a few others who have pic's up in the media gallery!!

Then maybe Rob could make that thread a "sticky" for all those starry eyed "newbies" who post so frequently to the board!!

Lore

Mar 9, 2003
You already have a "Resort" worker success story MommC

Check out my reply under "True Romance - Dominican Style" . My friend's daughter married a "resort" worker and so far (new baby and all) they are doing great.