Jarabacoa

oldislandman

Sep 1, 2002
Good Morning good people. I will be returning for a Sosua visit between the 26th of April and the 4th of May. Sorry I will be missing the big Easter dinner at Rocky's. I would like to take a side trip to Jarabacoa while I am there. Any ideas , opinions, or suggestions? If anyone is around, I will be the old guy at the bar in the Britannia on the night of the 26th--stop by and give me a hey!

ArJay

Jan 1, 2002
I'm interested in travelling the Northwest area and have read that Jarabacoa is near the highlands. If this is true it sounds like something to see in that area, as other than that it lacks much tourism infrastructure.
There's not much other tourism info I'm afraid except for monte cristi which is described as a "rough" beach.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks

M

misterchicago40

HOW IS THis place like??? I have a female friend here but need to stay in a budget hotel from 5 to 10 a night,, Any info on that please??? Hope SO I would be happy on that... If so thanks....

TimH

Aug 4, 2004
www.guesthouse-jarabacoa.com
Description from Jarabacoa from our website:"The town of Jarabacoa is situated on 600 mts/1800 ft. altitude about 20 minutes driving time away from La Vega and 45 minutes from Santiago (de los Caballeros). It is a town that maintains the whole year round an enjoyable, fresh but warm climate in this official Dominican health-resort. Many wealthy Dominicans from all corners of this country spend their vacations here or made Jarabacoa their second home. Apart from multiple possibilities to bath and swim in the clean rivers and by the waterfalls many activities include Hiking (for instance three day expeditions to the "Pico Duarte",--the highest peak in the Caribbean), Horsebackriding, Canyoning, Rafting, Canoeing and Kayaking take place in and around Jarabacoa . There is also a golf-course with a connected tennis-court.
On the weekends residents of all ages meet in the centre of town-"El Parque Duarte"-to dance, eat and drink in central locations . Quite often also free live-concerts of popular Bachata-and Merengue musicians are performed here."

Simple is that, Jarabacoa is still for me the place with the best quality of life on the whole island.

M

misterchicago40

BUT Can I get cheap hotel here from 5 to `15 a night???

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Simple is that, Jarabacoa is still for me the place with the best quality of life on the whole island.
I would agree 100%. It's a great place to live, and within easy driving to Santiago for city stuff...

It's nearly always 7 degrees F cooler here that in the Cibao...

M

misterchicago40

THANKS MAN thanks I hate when people get mean on the forum here,, What the prices go from 10 to 20 a night???

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
A basic place that backpackers often stay in Jarabacoa is Hogar Ligia Pe?a 809-574-2739. This is very close to the entrance to Jarabacoa. The owner speaks English.

Last edited:
Reactions: rellosk

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
What 25 a night in Jarabacoa??? OK if I cant get for 10 and under I can take a 15 a night 25 is too much for a small place like this...

Perhaps you are better suited to stay in Chicago( Big Windy) because you are too cheap and whinny to go and stay in the DR. Do you expect to stay in a clean, secure hotel or apartment and pay peanuts when the owner in playing increasing costs. Jarabacoa has around 50,000 people and is very popular with Dominicans. If the average Dominican has no problem with paying 600-1000 peso why would you expect to pay less.

TimH

Aug 4, 2004
www.guesthouse-jarabacoa.com
@Bob: Thanks -you speak my mind.
@Mister Chicago:Anyway there are two or three hotels for 300-500 Pesos a night. All these place are in terrible condition and are only frequented by either haitians or young and obviously - not very caring about poor body hygiene- young couples for a short tete-a-te from the lower side of life. Probably nobody there minds if you are using their rooms also for cooking crack-cocaine either.
Well there is the "Colonial" in Calle 5 in La Colonia. Second price goes to "Pension Dominguez", Calle Duverge, Barrio Don Bosco, next to the Office of the "Secretaria del Trabajo" ( I actually stayed there for like half a night like 14 years ago and I still can remember the size of the unflushable turd swimming in the toilet that was left by a former guest). The absolute winner though is a place with no name, going the Calle Duverge further down until No.8. You can tell that you arrived by the groups of haitians standing in front.

Have fun !