Riu Bachata 3/14-3/21

Rachael

Feb 8, 2002
Sorry it took me so long to get this report back to all of you. I have to start out by saying that I was already missing the D.R, after my first day back to work. I wish I could visit more than once a year but for now that will have to do. So here we go.

Departed Boston at 9:00 Friday morning and arrived in Puerto Plata by 2:00. We were in our room and unpacked in about a half an hour's time. Check in was very efficient and it was nice that there were only about 20 or so people checking in at the same time as us. I have been on trips where an entire busload sometimes 60 or more are arriving together and things can get crazy.

Immediately after seeing our room and the surrounding grounds and views we were very impressed. There was not a single fault to find at this resort. Truly a beautiful area.

For the first few days we laid low and spent most of our time by the pool and at the pool bar. I was not overly impressed with the beach area as I found it very shady at both the main beach and on the sports beach. I worship the sun so I spent all of my time at the pool. Service at the bar and at the lunch buffet were both great. Never had a problem waiting for a drink or waiting in line for food. There is no way to go hungry or thirsty here.

Sunday we decided to get off our buts and do something. Thanks to some previous research, I called Martin Espinal and arranged for a pick up for the following morning. Martin himself could not drive for us so Lilo met us Monday morning on time. Our first stop out on the trip with him was the cable car. We took the quick ride to the top, walked around a bit, visited the shops and headed back down the mountain. The views going up were absolutely spectacular. We also met a wonder guide in the car and he provided us with lots of information during our ride up. We did not hire a guide at the top on Lilo's advice and there really is not a lot that needs explaining up there. It was beautiful though.

From there we made a quick stop at the Rum factory. In all my trips to the island I had never bothered to go there. While the tour is quick and free you can get some great deals on the rum prices. I did not see it elsewhere as cheap as at the factory store.

We then made our way to the San Felip Fort? I think this was the name of it in downtown Puerto Plata. We spent time here looking around and then went into the city for some strolls through the shops. Didn't buy a lot but was fun to walk with the beers and just take it all in.

After shopping and hanging out we made our way to Sosua. We only spent about 4 hours here so we didn't see a whole lot but would definitely like to get back there for a day or two on our next trip. Spent a couple of hours on the beach, had wonderful chicken pies and nice cold grande presidente's. I thought I had died and gone to heaven, but three hours later when it was time to go I realized, no such luck!

From Sosua we headed over to Cabarette to take in some of the kite surfing. What an amazing view. I had never seen anything like it in person. What a great sport. Since it was St. Patricks day, we found little bar on the beach called "Jose O'Shays" and settled there for appetizers and more Grande Presidente's. This bar caught our eye because it was decorated for the holiday and they were giving out these silly green plastic hats. It was fun. The views from this beach were also beautiful. After having our snack we walked and visited several stores and did some souvenir shopping. After that it was back to the resort. It was a long day but Lilo was fantastic and it really was the highlight of our trip.

Tuesday 4 of us decided to do the funny bike excursion. We did the shorter trip which was only three hours but it was a blast. We were filthy. Having visited the island before I had brought with me all kinds of things to distribute. Hair accessories, pens, paper, tooth brushes with tooth paste, small toys, baseballs, whiffle balls etc. I brought all of these things with me on the quad tour and was able to give them out. It was such a great feeling seeing the expressions on the faces of these kids getting some of the items. I think the markers and paper were the biggest hit out of all of the items.

Wednesday we all went on the Freestyle Catamarans. This took us back to the Sosua beach area for snorkeling but we could not get to land. I would have preferred exploring the area a little more to the 2 hours of snorkeling but oh well. No boats for me next time.

With the past three days being so busy we did decide to just relax our final day. We hung at the resort and just chilled out. All in all this was a great trip.

Now for the negative from my point of view:

I truly thought that the reservation system for the specialty restaurants was lacking in every way. Every morning we were told that the restaurants were full to try again tomorrow. Finally on Thursday morning, I went over to the reservation area 1 hour before it opened. I sat and read a book to ensure that I would be the first in line. Well, I was first and told that the restaurant we wanted to dine in was full. Mind you, you can only make your reservation that morning for that evening's dinner. I protested that I first in line there is no way they can be full if they only take reservations same day and I'm first and after much argument was awarded at table at the Mediterranean steak house. Needless to say it would have been better had we just gone to the buffet as it was nowhere near as good as the buffet.

Secondly, I did not enjoy being so far from the actual downtown area. We did not venture out on our own because there did not seem to be a lot within walking distance. I felt very secluded at this resort and found the beach lacking partially for the same reason. In the past I have stayed at Playa Dorada when on the North Coast and appreciate the open beaches that you can stroll forever and the fact that you can walk right out of the complex and find shops etc along the roadside.

All in all this was a great trip and a great resort. Just personal preferences that kept me from loving it 100%. If the price was right I would go back but it would have to be substantially less than a resort on the PLaya Dorada complex. I think next time I'll take a shot at a resort in Sosua.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Hi Rachael,

Greetings from Atlantic Canada.

I am glad that you enjoyed the Riu experience - overall.

I agree about the reservation system (and the fixed evening dining times) but I have always overlooked these because the resorts are otherwise so perfect. As far as the remoteness if you feel up to taking the guaguas you would not feel so restricted. It's a great Dominican experience.

I was not aware that Martin was "farming out" work but I am pleased that Lilo was an adequate replacement. I will mention this to him on the 24th when he is our driver du jour. Could you tell me if Martin told you in advance that Lilo would be your driver or did he just show up in Martin's place? Thanks.

If you liked the Riu experience and would like to replicate it you might have a bit of a problem since the resorts in Sosua and Cabarete (while generally very adequate) do not quite come up to Riu standards (with the possible exception of Breezes which we are touring in a couple of weeks). Another alternative is to stay at the Iberostar Costa Dorada which is even closer to POP than Playa Dorada and is comparable to the Riu standards (we've been to both).

Anyway, glad you enjoyed.

Gregg

Rachael

Feb 8, 2002
Martin

Hi Greg,

Originally I called Martin to go out Monday or Tuesday and he said he was booked so I reserved for Wednesday. About 1/2 hour later he called back and asked if we would be willing to have another driver through his company. I said sure so the plan was put in motion for Monday. Great tip in calling him as we only paid $90.00 for six of us to do all that stuff. Obviously the cable car etc were extra $$$ but we didn't care, it was by far the best day of our trip and we brought all of our beers from the hotel mini bar which was great because Lilo had a cooler in the van. We had so much fun that we gave him a $50.00 tip for the day. Even with that tip it is probably 1/3 of what we would have paid for 6 people to go on these trips through the hotel.

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Rachael...

Did you meet any of the cuties at the Riu Bachata? Like Robert, Benji, Thomas or Still?;)

kukla

Mar 13, 2003
Fireguy and Rachael

This Martin Espinal guy sounds good. I'm looking for somebody like that for our next trip to the DR.

I will be staying in Cabarete. Would that be a problem.

Do you have a phn-number?

thanks in advance

kukla

Mar 13, 2003
fireguy

I never received the email. Don't know what happened. You can also PM me the phn number.

Thanks for taking the effort.

kukla

Mar 13, 2003
Greg and Rachael

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

I will let you guys know how our trip went.

Janneke