Great vacation - Feb.28 - March 17

Doreen

Jan 29, 2002
I love to read these trip reports and to read about other peoples experiences so I decided to share my last trip to the DR with you. I am not a very good writer and English is not my first language but I hope you enjoy it anyway!

My dominican husband Ruben and I left Germany for Punta Cana on Feb. 28. There are 2 things that I am the most looking forward to before my trips to the DR ? the hot humid air when I get out of the airplane that hits you like a wall and the first cold Presidente. Then I know I am at home again. A friend of ours picked us up in his old car and I hoped that it will take us save to San Pedro, and finally, after 3 hours and several Presidentes, we got there. We have never told to my husbands family that we are coming so they were very surprised when they saw us - I just love it (hope they never get a heard-attack). We stayed the first 2 nights with his brother in S.P., visited friends and had lots of fun. We went dancing in Greyi?s (forgot how to spell it) where we danced the night away.

On Monday we moved to Boca Chica. We stayed in Los Coquitos at Casa Morena which is owned by Adrian (Canadian) and now administered by Gaston (also Canadian). We always stay with them but this time it was even better since they remodelled the rooms, put new beds, fridges and TVs ? all for the same price as before (20$). They also have a pool and a bar that sells at the same prices like the Colmados.

I met many friends which I have made during my time living and working in B.C. and Juan Dolio.
Every day I enjoyed the company of nice people, had my cool drinks on the beach and forgot completely about home (well, that is what vacation is for).

After a week hanging out we rented a car for the rest of our vacation. One of Rubens friends has a car rental in San Pedro and since we rented it for 10 days we got it for the great price of US$ 22 a day. Then we started our trip throughout the island. We first went to Sosua. When we passed Santiago I remembered Hillbilly and how nice it would be to meet him and have a drink and a little chat with him. After reading about Eddy?s Sportsbar and his Condos so much here on DR1 we decided to go to see him and stay one night at one of his very nice Condos. Eddy also helped me getting Hillbillys phone number (many thanks again, Eddy!!), but unfortunately I could not get a hold of him. Hillbilly ? the next time I come down to the DR it would be an honour to meet you. I will contact you first so we can agree on a date if this is okay with you.

On Sunday we had the best day of the whole vacation. We went to the beach in Sosua which we love. It was very clean (much more than in Boca Chica), nice, cool water and we met nice people. We invited some of them to go with us on a small boatride along the coast. After that they (a group of about 10 dominicans) took us to a river which was about 30 minutes southeast of Sosua. It was a very nice place and since it was Sunday there were many Dominicans drinking, dancing and washing their cars (even though there was a huge sign ?prohibido lavar carros en el rio?). Close to the river was a disco terazza and everyone of our group had fun dancing. I just love these Sunday afternoons. Isn?t it great to go at 4pm to a place like that, have some drinks and dance? We had no idea where to stay that night and because we wanted to go to Monte Christi the next day they took us back to a place near Santiago were they lived. We went to their home, they cooked for us, introduced us to their families and then showed us a hotel were we could stay. It is what really amazes me most about this country ? the people. You don?t know them and they go crazy to accommodate you and provide you with whatever they are able to give. We promised them to keep in touch and we sure will. My husband called them last week from Germany and they were very sad that we did not pass by again. They had cigars for my husband (one of the women was working in a cigar factory) and more body lotion for me (one woman had a lotion and after I said that I liked the smell she gave it to me ?como recuerdo?) and waited for us. After I heard it I felt very bad because we did not go to see them again but we sure will the next time. Aren?t these people amazing.

The next day we drove to Monte Cristi. On the way we stopped to eat chivo picante which we heard is a speciality in this area. It was indeed very good (together with Yuka and Presidente). After getting to Monte Cristi I was very surprised on how quiet this town is. Almost no-one on the street. We went to a few beaches but the water was dirty and not very inviting. My plan was to go from Monte Cristi down the road along the haitian border to Lago Enriquillo and then over Barahona back to Boca Chica. Since my map has showed me that this road was still under construction we asked some locals about the real conditions. They also advised us against taking the road. So we just headed back to Boca Chica. A full day on the road.

The next day we spent with some friends on the beach in Guayacanes and danced in the evening (in Mundo Center Andres/Boca Chica, the disco where your body vibrates ? because the music is so loud (but they had the Grandes for only 30 pesos)
On Wednesday we went to Sabana de la Mar ? also a very quiet city with a very dirty and ugly beach and nothing to see. We were immediatly approached by a Dominican who asked us to go with him as our guide to Los Haitises. Since we planed to go there anyway we just said yes and agreed on a price. After a 20 minutes ride we got to the place were we took the boat with 2 young capitanos. First they took us through a forest of mangroves which was very beautiful. Then our guide (Montesuma) took us to 2 caves. He showed us around very quickly. One of them had a lot of paintings on the walls and he told us they were from the Indios. I myself think it is put there by some kids for tourist attraction. Would be interesting what you people think/know about it. After the tour went on for about half an hour Montesuma got nervous and told the capitano all the time ?vamonos, vamonos, mas rapido?. He was obviously not very happy when we wanted to see another cave (the one were an English man lived in until the seventies). The whole tour took about 2 hours. Back to were we started we saw a man arriving in his boat who just came back from fishing. We bought fresh fish (about 6 pound for 100 pesos) which Rubens mother prepared that evening for the whole family. It was delicious!

The next days we spent with hanging out on the beach (Boca Chica, Playa Caribe, Guayacanes), going to the movies (once in La Romana ? very bad sound quality, once to Placa Central in Santo Domingo), dancing in Boca Chica and Santo Domingo (Aguila, O`Sight) and visiting more friends.

The day before leaving for Germany we went dining in Neptuno. Very nice ambience, good service and excellent food. We both had langostas ? absolute delicious.

Other highlights of our trip: eating mangitos and pina in the campos, cana, coco de agua, a visit to the Aquario in Santo Domingo (was okay but not very spectacular), ?

Negative: People tried to overcharge me many times (caja de fosforos for 5 pesos instead of 2, small bottle of water for 10 pesos instead of 5, ?) Since I know the real prices I did not pay for what they asked at the end or if they still behaved strange I just left and went to another place. But it was annoying.
One thing made me really angry - we were on the beach in Boca Chica and checked the CDs of one of the vendors. We wanted to buy 4 with the new music that was not in the regular stores yet. We know of course that these CDs are copies. After choosing 4 my husband tried one with his portable CD player ? it was a blank CD. So we said that we cannot buy any CDs without testing them because the chance exists that they all don?t work. And it was like that. One even had written on it ?No silve?. First I was laughing and I actually felt bad for the vendor because I thought that they ripped him off where he buys the CDs, but when I saw the vendor going mad that we spoiled his sales and that he lost more than 500 pesos with us I realized that he knew that they did not work and that he did not care selling them anyway to ?stupid? tourists. I asked him what he would do if the people come back to him (because I would get really angry) and he just said ?Se lo cambio?. I would want to have my money back (which of course is already spent). It?s a great impression that tourists take home?

To finish my report I want to share a nice experience my husband had one night. We wanted to go out and he needed one of his shirts to be ironed. Since we did not bring an iron he went out on the street and asked a girl that passed by if she would be so kind to iron his shirt for him. She said ?Claro que si pero mi plancha no trabaja bien? ? so my husband went to another house and asked the woman if he could borrow her iron for 5 minutes. Of course ? and here goes the first woman and irons his shirt. I was thinking to try that here in Germany but I like my face to much to have a door slammed into it.

Okay, that?s all for now.
We actually said that we want to spend our next vacation somewhere else (to see something different), but being back in Germany all we want is to go as soon as we can ? to the DR.

Sorry that it got so long!!

Doreen

RandyE

Feb 4, 2002
Too long? Honey, it wasn't long enough!! That was one busy vacation, great report.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Excellent post Doreen

I, too am sorry that we couldn't hook up, since I know it would have been fun. And I know where the Presidentes are nice and cold.

I expect to hear from yu before your next visit....with any luck I can take you down that highway to Lago Enriquillo.

Again, a very good post. I wish i could do the same in German!!

HB

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Great post.

You are right about Monte Cristi beaches... you had to ask here before going to MC, we would have told you to either go to the keys (cayos) or to El Morro but NEVER to the beach near the town.

Next time you'll do better :)

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Bravo!!! Great to see people getting out and about and having a "real" experience and not just leaving with a sun tan.

lindalyn

Feb 15, 2003
I really enjoyed reading this report.... I would have kept reading ... very enjoyable... glad you enjoyed your vacation :cool:

Doreen

Jan 29, 2002
Many thanks

to everyone who replied!

It was indeed a busy vacation, and that is exactly what I prefer. Even though I lived in the DR for 1,5 years and have been vacationing there about 14 times in the last 7 years there are still a lot of places that I don?t know and that I still have to explode (together with my hubby of course).
And Pib - yes, the next time I will need your input on these places. Those cayos sound very interesting.
HB - I will contact you for sure. I am very flexible when on vacation so there will be no problem in finding the right date.

Thanks again!
Doreen

P.S. I will post some pictures soon. (Don?t know how to do it, but I will find out)