Santo Domingo and Santiago

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
We had to go to Santo Domingo from Cabarete for residency and cedulas and to Santiago for some business. I thought I'd post a quick trip report for updated information on the two hotels that we stayed in. I would classify both as mid-range or even budget hotels.

In Santo Domingo, the La Casona Dorada - rooms were clean, fine but very basic. The pool was quite dirty and the jacuzzi (which looked a little cleaner) did not seem to want to work at all. A friendly member of staff turned it on for us, looked perplexed as the 'bubbles' did not appear, turned it off and in an effort to be kind and nice to us, turned on the loudest music that you could imagine - to replace the soak in the Jacuzzi ;) We paid US$42.00 a night and I guess for this price, a clean pool is not included.

Despite the pool, I'll go back there as the staff were really helpful, friendly and the breakfast that we had, was good.

We did not have much time to play tourist but took a stroll through the Colonial Zone. This was so charming that we just carried on walking through and into every little street that caught our fancy. I loved the visual effect of the quite quaint buildings, cobbled streets and the flowers hanging off every balcony... Could have been in the South of Spain somewhere.

The Catheral was really worth visiting - once you manage to work your way through the many many vendors wanting to sell stuff - blank CD's I think ;) . Although quite unassuming from the outside, the inside I thought was absolutely beautiful.

My husband and I had a lot of fun climbing all over the old Fort (I forget the name of it). We were quite alone and scrambled around like kids hanging out of the old gun slots and reading the graffiti.

Thought I'd mention the best Sangria that I had in my life. A Mexican Restaurant called Frida's on Ave Independencia. The food was good but not great but Oh Boy! The pitcher of Sangria was just wonderful.

Santiago - stayed in the Hotel Camp David and paid RD$800 per night in the new section. The toilet did not work at all which was a problem. We happened to be there on a Friday night and the live music was great. Not the usual loud style, but simply good dinner music well executed. (O.K., my heart melts at the sound of a good love ballad!) It heated up later in the night I believe but I was sleeping by then. Food was excellent and we overspent our budget horribly. I thought the prices for food was quite on the high side and the wine was expensive.

The morning view over the city was spectacular. The city was covered in cloud (I hope it was cloud and not smog) and it felt as if I was standing on a lonely mountain peak with very little around me.

I'll go back to this hotel but I'll check out the toilet first next time, before I check into the room.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Chris, as far as my wife and I are concerned, you stayed in expensive hotels. In Santo Domingo we stay at La Grand Mansion for RD$400/night. No pool, jacuzi, or AC or cable TV, but beds are comfortable and staff friendly. It is on Danae, very close to Casona Dorada. In Santiago we stay at Hotel Colonial for around RD$350/night. Very good value. No pool or jacuzi, but cable TV, friendly staff, and good beds.

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
I absolutely love the Hotel Colonial or the Colonial Deluxe as they are one and the same but one side is more expensive than the other. They are convient hotels you can walk out to the main street and catch a car to calle del sol, or even walk there and get most of your shopping done.

We always stay there when we are in Santiago.