Warning for those travelling with children

susanna

Apr 10, 2003
We recently returned from the Occidental Gran Flamenco, Puerto Plata and overall had a decent time. Nice stretch of beach, good service, acceptable food and wonderful weather were all contributors. However, I had one MAJOR concern that I would like to share with as many people as possible. They wanted to fumigate our room while we were there (...and not only that, the note they put under the door said "no special precautions are necessary") When I spoke with the Customer Service rep she gave me some line about them using non-toxic chemicals (there are no non-toxic pesticides!!!) Considering that pesticides are linked with many cancers, Parkinson?s disease and immune system suppression I was understandably concerned. But especially so because we were travelling with our 8-month old baby! (Data suggest that exposure to pesticides at levels believed to be safe for adults could result in permanent loss of brain function when occurring during prenatal and early childhood periods of brain development. Specifically, pesticides are associated with behavioural and developmental problems in children, and childhood brain cancer and leukemia.)

Problem is, I imagine that all of the hotels use these toxic chemicals. I have no idea what a good solution might be other than to put pressure on the hotels to find other ways of killing whatever it is they are attempting to kill. (They said they were spraying for mosquitoes due to the fact that the hotel was near the water!?!?...obviously not true as mosquitoes don't breed in salt water. I suspect they were targetting cockroaches but didn't want to admit it.)

I disagree

There are lots of non toxic chemicals available. Here is quote from the label of one. Our farms use many of them.

Made with the all-natural ingredient d'Limonene, KE-106A is a non-toxic insecticide that can be safely used around children as well as in food processing areas. From schools and day-care centers to restaurant kitchens and food processing plants, KE-106A safely wipes out unwanted insects without posing a threat to children or food. The ingredient d'Limonene instantly strips away a protective wax coating from the exoskeletons of insects which causes them to suffocate and die on contact. And yet, KE-106A will not harm people, pets or food.

CedarCide Insect Repellent, 8 ounce

Ingredients: 1% Cedar Oil, 99% essence of Juniperus Virginiana.
Insect Repellent Spray is a specially formulated, chemical-free cedar based insect repellent. Contains no DEET. Perfect size to carry on picnics, while working in garden or other outings.
Directions for Use: Spray or sponge CedarCide on all areas of skin exposed to insects. It will quickly dry grease-free with a pleasant cedar aroma that will repel mosquitoes, flies, fleas, chiggers, no-see-ums and numerous other insects. Further applications may be required when excessive sweating occurs. Clothing may be sprayed with CedarCide without staining or damage. Use liberally on pets and livestock to insure skin penetration.

There are many many more, but who knows what they were using. I would check that first before making a blanket statement.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Occidental Gran Flamenco is just across the road from the golf course & at the 9th, 10th & 18th holes are lakes with still waters (except when my balls go flying in there!!). Also, with the heavy rain we have had over the last two weeks, water can become stagnent on the course itself - leading to LOTS of mosquitos!!

Occidental group is recognised as being one of the world's leading hotel chains & dedicated to looking after it's guests (60 or 70 hotels throughout the world I believe), it seems unlikely to me that they would risk loosing their good name by using toxics that would cause law suits if it was ever found out that they were responsible for "brain damaged" children, cancers, Parkinson's disease etc!!

You are right to be vigilant & question the use of the sprays of course & perhaps an enquiry to the management as to what pesticides they use would be more beneficial in getting the answers you need than making accusations here. Get back to us when you have checked it out with Occidental - we look forward to your update.

Hey, just remembered Johnny Honda works at Flamenco ..... Perhaps there is something in this "Brain damage" thing after all!! Have a nice one Johnny & get the brandies ready for Saturday!! - Grahame