Where To Shop...

NYC_Girl

Apr 15, 2003
Hi Everyone,

I started reading the message board and decided to join. I enjoy reading everyone's insights.

I currently live in NY, with my husband who is Dominican, and three kids. We currently have some property (old house) which we are in the process of fixing up. I'm so used to super discount stores, such as Home Depot, etc. Is there a place where you can get building materials at a reasonable price. Being Dominican, my husband hates paying retail.

Thanks for any direction you can give me.
Take Care.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
The posters will be able to help you better if they know where the house is located. Regards, PJT

NYC_Girl

Apr 15, 2003
Thanks for the reply.

The house is in Santo Domingo. I was just wondering if any of the locals know where you can purchase building material in bulk.

Thanks,

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Reasonable Prices

Santo Domingo is about the best area to obtain building materials at "reasonable" prices. Do not expect them to be at Home Depot discount prices. You will go through some withdrawal symptoms when you experience the Dominican shopping and buying routine for materials vs that of the States. Bulk items like cement, sand, PVC, and paint is cheap. Semi-finished, finished lumber is expensive and is usually hard to find in the size and quantity you want. There is plenty of rough cut lumber, still expensive. Ceramic tiles can be expensive and imported tiles are the best. Some lighting and plumbing fixtures can be expensive. Some of the stores where you can encounter supplies at are: Ferreterias - Americana, Popular, and Hache. But, what you really need to do is to shop around. Do availability, price, and quality comparisons. You will experience that one store will not fill all your needs. However, there will always be a store that will be able to fill in your needs gap. Then, if you cannot find what you want, be Dominican - "improvise". Regards, PJT

Note: The flip side of your high expense for materials is that labor comes cheap. Just make sure the laborers know what they are doing.

NYC_Girl

Apr 15, 2003
Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Aside from the places you listed, is there a place where construction companies get their supplies. (Always looking for that Home Depot!!!!)

Thanks,

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I get better prices at the bigger places!

On San Martin,between Quinto Centenario,and Maximo Gomez,you will find several Big hardware stores.Popular,Americana,Materiales Industriales,etc.If you go in ,ask to speak to the manager(bring materials list) you can get discounts."Hache" on JFK has an area for contractors where you sit and talk to sales reps about what you need.They all deliver.Deptamentos Americana,also JFK,has its constuction materials office around the back,on the right hand side.Good luck!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC