Habichuelas con dulce

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
I have heard from many people that this is a traditional treat enjoyed each semana santa and especially on Good Friday. However myself being catholic I know that Good friday is a day of fast and abstinence which means 1 full meal, 2 light meals, no meat and no snacks. If the Dominican Republic is such a staunchly catholic country how do they get away with eating habichuelas con dulce on Good Friday. It doesnt make sense!

linamia

"an unexamined life is not worth living"
Jan 2, 2002
www.pascual5designs.com
Yes it does make sense, most people fast and have one meal (yes a very huge meal) which includes fish, cod fish, tons of salads and arroz con dulce habichuela con dulce etc.. etc..

Lets not judge peoples custom, unless they interfere with our safety.

Lina

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Which "Staunchly Catholic" Dominican Republic

are you talking about?????Can't be the one where I live! Never seen the Ten Commandments take a worse beating than they do here!CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
Even though it is a bit of a treat, it's only beans, after all - pretty humble - and it's not as if it were chocolate eclairs or something.

(And, yes, I had two bowls of soup at the Lenten Lunch...stop looking at me!)

Last edited:

Chilipepper

Mar 28, 2003
It doesn't have to make sense to you if you are not Dominican. It is a Dominican tradition that's all.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Heresy!!!

You... you infidel! How dare you criticize something that is sacred to us.

And I am not talking about Semana Santa, I am talking about Habichuelas con dulce. ;)

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
I am talking about Habichuelas con dulce. -Pib

What exactly is it??(sorry Pib but I am too lazy to go to your cooking site and look it up)hehe

( Lazy today) Larry

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
lazy

hehe..thanks Pib.Looks yummy..I am not much of a sweet poatao fan but maybe blended with the other ingredients it would be nice.
Larry

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
The whole concept...

..of eating this treat on Good Friday goes directly against the teachings of the Catholic Church. Seems like typical Dominican backwardness to me.

linamia

Jan 2, 2002
www.pascual5designs.com
Please tell us when would be a good time to eat it. Since you have so much knowledge and us Dominicans are so backwards. Wouldn't want to offend the Catholic teachings in any way.

Lina
Dominicana buscando orentacion de los jueces del Catolicismo,
para no pecar en este viernes santo.

en ingles
Dominicana seeking the advise of the judges of Catholicism, so that I may not sin on good friday.

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
Any other day except...

...Ash Wednesday or Good Friday. Those are the only days of fast and abstinence. Fridays during lent are days of abstinence, which means no meat.

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
On Fasting & Abstinence

Of special interest:

Abstinence and fast are to be observed on Ash Wednesday or, according to local practice, on the first day of 'Great Lent' and on Good Friday.

1. The law of abstinence forbids the use of meat, but not of eggs, the products of milk or condiments made of animal fat.
2. The law of fasting allows only one full meal a day, but does not prohibit taking some food in the morning and evening, observing?as far as quantity and quality are concerned?approved local custom.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
It is like "Pumpkin Pie" at Thanksgiving!

It isn't Easter in the Dominican Republic if you don't have "HABICHULAS CON DULCE"!They even have "Habichuelas con Dulce" ice cream! It is GOOD! There are "Contests" on TV to see which region,or neighborhood makes the "BEST"!
About 15 years ago,a young lady brought me a big pot filled with very sweet habichulas con dulce.I put the pot in the refregerator. I had not eaten anything all day,so after she left,I ate/drank the whole pot!I didn't have any idea what it was,but it was very tasty!About 3 hours later I began to have knife like pains in my intestines.I thought I would die,and hoped that it would be soon!The pain was nearly unbearable! About 2 hours later I was reminded of the "Old Biblical Saying","And this to shall pass!" And it DID! (Editors note: Habichuelas con Dulce" look exactly the same,going in,and going OUT!) My professional advice,one small serving per day!Maybe the "idea" of eating large quantities of sweet liquified beans during Holy Week,is so that we should "Suffer" a little! CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

linamia

Jan 2, 2002
www.pascual5designs.com
So in the fasting rules they tell you can not eat "habichuelas con dulce" or other foods. It is a sin to eat "habichuelas con dulce" on Good Friday. Boy all these years practicing this custom I am sure to burn in hell. OMG us Dominicans never learn, we are so grateful to all you foreigners for all your information. What will we do without you guys. Thanks for saving us! Really I will never practice my Dominican customs without checking with you guys first.

lina:confused:

Chilipepper

Mar 28, 2003
People, it's not like each person eats a whole pot. I work with a lot of catholics at my job who aren't "Dominican" and you guys should see their idea of fasting. So before you guys go on judging people look at yourselves. Also where in the bible does it say that you have to fast on ash Wednesday and good Friday. These are man made laws!! So don't stress over it and let people be!