Highlights of 20 d. trip to DR.

Montessorian

Apr 1, 2002
www.patriaquerida.homestead.com
Just a few highlights from my 20 day trip to the DR!

First day, I was in a minor car accident, had to go to the station for a report. My luck was a traffic officer saw the accident and placed fault on the other driver. No problems with turning the car back in, I had purchased the full insurance.

We travled in a 14 passanger van from Santo Domingo in a mini-tour of the entire country. (planning to move soon, so we were viewing possible locations to find a rental).

Santo Domingo - Constanza

WOW! Constanza is a paradise. I enjoyed it, all though there is not much to do. They grow carrots that are the size of your forarm there! The road getting into constanza is narrow and on the mountain ridge. Being from Miami I found this very nerve racking.

We stayed one night at ranco constanza in a cabin. Quaint, beautiful views, and not too pricey. Locals were friendly.

Constanza - Jarabacoa

We took the mountain road from constanza to jarbacoa! That was truly amazing. What a trip, went to Rancho Baiguate and took the truck to the river so the kids could swim. He took us to the wrong waterfall first , and after lugging my 250 pregnant body to the fall, we had to get back to the truck and convince him that he took us to the wrong fall! He agreed after checking with the office.

We were going to stay the night at their resort, but quickly changed our mind when a little kid threw a plate of spagatti at my friends daughter.

Jarabacoa to Puerta Plata

Ahhhh! the Iberostar Costa Dorada! How nice, we loved this place and enjoyed the break from the "adventure" we were on. Mama Maria and the folks in animation were wonderful. It rained the five days we were there, but we still found lots of activities to do.
We also went to the casion at jack tar, it was o.k. but I did not like that at the black jack tables the dealer has a mirror where she can see her cards.

We did many side trips from here, like horseback riding, and a boat ride to la boquita. We also hired a guide martin espinal to take us around. Since we have smokers in our group he drove my van.

Puerta Plata - Samana

Well I would have to say that samana is very beautiful. We did not make reservations and arrived around 10 at night. When I called the casa marina, they told me they were full. We ran up on the occidental and stayed there a night. So beautiful, a place for pure r & r. Not the place for 8 active children.

The next day I called casa marina, and they had room so we packed up and moved again. I hated casa marina!!!! The staff was wonderful the guest we not. I had paid for two nigts, after the first night, I asked the office to refund the second night. They agreed after we showed them where it was 'raining' in our room. We should have stayed at the first hotel in samana that we came upon.

Our group was the only americans in the entire resort, which was confirmed by management. Not speaking french or german, we did not have any conversations with the guest, and felt very out of place.

In defense of those who work at casa marina, my friend left her purse in the drawer with all her ID, her tickes and 2,000 us cash. Whe left for boca chica and did not notice for two days. When we called they said they had the purse in the safe and the money was there. However, the refused to ship the purse to their office in Santo Domingo. My friend and I had to charter a plane from santo domingo to samana. We paid 200.00 us for the flight, and that was a better choice than using so much time driving.

Samana - Boca Chica

This was not too bad of a drive, we took the secondary roads that take you through cotui. Stayed at the hamacca, and it too was nice, no problems at all. I don't know why many on other boards have complained about this place. We had no problems.

Stayed here until our flight out.

Sorry for the spelling errors and typos!!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Very interesting trip report

Do you have any idea where you might want to stay?

Which part of the countrydid you like the best.? Since we are fiercely competetive (joke) we like to think you liked our part of the country better than other parts of the country...

Come on, 'fess up!

HB

Montessorian

Apr 1, 2002
www.patriaquerida.homestead.com
I don't think I can choose!

I really don't think I could choose where I like the best in the dr.

This trip was my 10th to the country and I have now gone to many areas, yet I am still unsure where is the best.

I suppose it is like desserts, some days you like ice cream and other days cheese cake. Who knows!

The flavor of the summer will be PP and from there I will investigate santiago. Staying for a month this time.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
If you are in PoP this summer, make sure you hook up with me for a beer or two sometime!! If you GOLF we will get to the course together (might even persuade Hillbilly up!!), if you DON'T, we will find a bar somewhere. You might even get to meet "She that must be Obeyed"!! - Grahame.