JetBlue in the DR?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
We here that JetBlue executives are considering the Dominican Republic as a future destination. The airline already flies to San Juan, Puerto Rico.

I think this would be wonderful, especially as they are in my opinion a "real" airline unlike some others.

Anyone got any input into this? Possibilities, probabilities etc...

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Well Robert if that happens I will make the switch from AA to JetBlue. I am a die hard AA fan. The only airline I would trade them for is JetBlue. When I fly to Florida I use JetBlue all the times. Newer planes, better inflight service and always on time.

I really hope they get the licenses.

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
I agree 100%.

I would switch over to them because I like A320 planes they use and how they have them set up.

Let's see when they will make this a reality.

Apr 26, 2002
Robert,

With the reductions in AA's scheduled service to the DR, AA is really exposed to competiton right now on this route. JetBlue could clean-up on this market, because their planes and service are far better, even though their scheduling would likely be limited. However, two big questions would be:

1. Could JetBlue's system handle 200 Dominican Yorks checking-into a narrowbody plane at the same time with boomboxes, televisions, Chevrolet transmissions, overweight bags, screaming babies with strollers, etc? AA actually does a good job in handling this crowd. I saw USA3000 Airlines give-up the Santo Domingo route not because it wasn't well-sold but rather because they couldn't handle the burden slowing down their systems.

2. Would JetBlue increase the overall passenger count coming into the country? I don't think so. Existing passengers would likely just be redistributed.

Probabilities? JetBlue management is very smart. Therefore, I think it not likely.

Last edited:

El Tigre

Jan 23, 2003
Let me tell you guys about a memorable experience I had with JetBlue.

I was flying JFK-PBI two summers ago. On this flight we had the honor of having David Neeleman as part of the crew. He explained that one of the flight attendants had called out sick. He was going to PBI for business so he decided to fill the spot (I bet I will never see Don Carty do that). It was amazing you guys. Maybe he was over nice because he is the freakin owner but man was he a nice guy. I will never in my life forget that experience.

I guess this can be compared to Jonathan Miller taking calls on the customer service line at AOL. When I used to use AOL one rep. told me that Mr. Miller gets on the phone queue at least once a week for an hour. Now that is really interesting.

Just thought I would share my experience.

Later gators.

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
nice story..JBLU is awesome.

USA3000 did try the SDQ thing and had problems with the dominicans going there.

I flew them last september to PUj but it was a charter and boy was it a nice experience.

Usa3000 and JBLU both use the Airbus A320....nice plane with a joy stick to fly it!!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I hear that for JetBlue to operate effectively here they need pre-screening so they can land at domestic US airports. I assume they do not want to get burdened with the cost of sending back passengers that don't make it through US Immigration?

Apr 26, 2002
Yes, though it's not so much that they be able to land at domestic airports (they would fly SDQ-JFK) as much as the JetBlue terminal at JFK currently has no customs/immigration facilities.

El Tigre

Jan 23, 2003
Very interesting observation Porforio. I wonder if they would have to move to another terminal if they get going with the plans to fly to the D.R.

aviastar

Bronze
Jan 12, 2003
www.www.www
Well, JetBlue doesn't have any expirience with international flights, so. Anyway, passengers could be interested in it, they provide new planes, inseat television, airline is reliable and nice. But the major fact about flying to DOM will be their fare policy, it depends on their fares. They are speaking about DOM since like 2 years ago, it is a good market but they are afraid to manage it, it is not the same thing when you fly from NYC to FL.

I would definitely try JETBLUE, at least to know about their services and have some expirience.

But thinking about aviation industry now, my opinion is : It's better to stay as they are now, JETBLUE is ok with routes they have at the moment, they don't need new expiriments. It is not a good time to be creative.

Samana1

Bronze
Jan 4, 2002
www.samana-peninsula.com
Archive

MARK GREENBERG / FOR THE HERALD
NEW AIRCRAFT: Brian Coulter, left, and Frank Westbrook are JetBlue pilots. The start-up, low-cost airline has a fleet of 11 new planes equipped with leather seats and free 24-channel satellite television.

JetBlue's
rapid ascent

The young airline is succeeding where other low-cost carriers have failed. What sets it apart: more frills for passengers and strong financial backing.
BY INA PAIVA CORDLE

Start-up carrier JetBlue Airways is defying the odds.

In the two decades since the airline industry was deregulated, plenty of low-fare carriers have come and gone. Most have filed for bankruptcy after growing too fast, spending too much money or misjudging the market.

But JetBlue, which flies from Fort Lauderdale, so far has succeeded where others have failed. The airline ended its first year in operation with a $37,315 quarterly profit, a base of loyal customers and an expansion plan that could include a public offering in the not-too-distant future.

The best capitalized low-fare start-up in aviation history, with a fleet of 11 new planes equipped with leather seats and free 24-channel satellite television, JetBlue has focused its efforts on customer service.

Passenger figures show the carrier is drawing repeat customers. With one million passengers booked in its first year, 21 percent of passengers took 56 percent of JetBlue's flights last year, Chief Executive David Neeleman said.

Unlike other low-cost carriers, JetBlue is ``building repeat business not just on price, but on price and service,'' said Coral Gables aviation consultant Stuart Klaskin, of Klaskin, Kushner & Co.

``What they have created is the byproduct of this huge traveler discontent that is out there,'' Klaskin said. ``People hate flying on airlines these days. The consumer is just horribly disenchanted, so that when an airline treats someone like a paying customer and then goes beyond that, the customer is almost shocked into happiness.''

After launching service from John F. Kennedy International Airport to 11 cities in its first year, JetBlue plans to double the size of its fleet, adding 11 new A320s by the end of this year, boosting its revenue from $108 million in 2000 to more than $300 million this year. The airline's goal is to produce an operating profit of 10 percent, Neeleman said.

In six years, JetBlue plans to have 82 planes, flying as many as 480 daily flights -- up from 64 today.

And Fort Lauderdale, one of the airline's launch cities, is a big part of JetBlue's long-term strategy. The low-fare carrier last week added its sixth flight from Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood to New York's JFK, and could increase that to eight next year -- and nine in 2003, Neeleman said.

JetBlue says it has captured 30 percent of the market from Fort Lauderdale to New York, with 20 percent of the available seats. With one-way fares ranging from $84 to $199, plus tax, planes departing Fort Lauderdale are flying at 90 percent occupancy, Neeleman said.

``We haven't found the bottom of the market,'' he said. ``The more flights we add, the fuller they are.''

As early as next year, JetBlue may begin offering flights from Fort Lauderdale to the Caribbean, to such destinations as Puerto Rico, the Dominican Republic, Jamaica and Trinidad, Neeleman said.

JetBlue, which currently maintains its only crew base in New York, is also considering basing a second crew in South Florida in the future, he said.

Meanwhile, Neeleman is in talks with several cruise lines to arrange to fly their passengers, which would boost flights from South Florida.

Managing the airline's growth will be the key to its future, analysts say.

As its next step, JetBlue plans this spring to launch a frequent flyer program -- giving passengers retroactive credit for flights taken. Passengers will be able to earn a free ticket after 10 round-trip flights.

The airline, which serves only a choice of snacks currently, will also begin offering passengers flying out of New York who booked their tickets online the option of ordering local food, which would be delivered to the airport for a fee.

Unlike other start-up carriers, JetBlue began with ample funding, raising an unprecedented $130 million in venture capital, including $40 million from investor George Soros, $30 million from the San Francisco venture capital firm Weston Presidio and $20 million from Chase Capital Partners. The same group later added another $30 million.

JetBlue's concept was based in part on popular Southwest Airlines. The airline would be a ``mega start-up,'' with a fleet of new planes, which would both cut costs and add prestige, said Neeleman, who owns a 10 percent stake in the airline. New planes are actually cheaper to operate because they require less maintenance, burn less fuel and can fly more because they are out of service less frequently, he said.

By starting from scratch, JetBlue could also ``do more with fewer employees,'' Neeleman said. Flight crews do most of the cleaning between flights, for example, cutting down on turn-around time and expense. The airline has no unionized workers, and its Salt Lake City call center is comprised of workers hooked up from home. More than 30 percent of its tickets are booked through the Internet.

Neeleman even passes out the snacks -- blue potato chips, bagel chips, animal crackers and chocolate chip cookies -- whenever he flies, about once a week.

So far, JetBlue has managed to keep costs down to 7 cents per passenger mile, and hopes to lower that figure to 6 cents per passenger mile by the end of the year, Neeleman said.

That compares well to the 6.5 to 7.5 cents per passenger mile costs typical of low-fare carriers, and is much less than the 9 to 13 cents per passenger mile for major airlines, Klaskin said.

``They certainly rewrote the book on how to start a new-entrant airline in every way, starting with the new airplanes, the massive capital, and doing it in a major market -- probably the most significant market in the U.S. -- the New York metro market,'' Klaskin said.

Among the top 10 city pairs for domestic origin and destination passengers, nine include New York. And JFK had no domestic hub carrier.

``Millions and millions of people go to New York -- within one hour of JFK there are five or six million people; within an hour and a half, there are 11 million,'' said Larry Twill, chairman of Ashwood Capital in New York, one of JetBlue's founding investors. ``Look at that number and look at other start-ups. To start up an airline, you need people. It's not rocket science.''

Moreover, during the past year New York's LaGuardia airport has registered massive delays, topping all U.S. airports -- enhancing the appeal of JFK.

But while JetBlue's first year was accomplished during a time of economic growth, this year could prove more difficult, as the economic slowdown begins to affect air travel, aviation experts say.

``As the economy slows and traffic starts to dip, the real test will be what happens when competition gets tighter up and down the East Coast,'' said aviation consultant Michael Boyd. ``The only unknowns here -- which is unknown for the whole industry -- is how deep will this downturn be. When a downturn hits, it's discretionary travel that is going to take a hit.''

Analysts and investors credit JetBlue's management team, including Neeleman and President and Chief Operating Officer David Barger -- who had previously run Continental's Newark hub and now handles JetBlue's day-to-day operations -- for much of the airline's success.

``David [Neeleman] is clearly someone who understands and knows the nuances of the aviation business,'' said Michael Lazarus, managing partner at Weston Presidio, which was among JetBlue's earliest investors. ``He is a service provider more than an aviation junkie, and he also has an uncanny way of attracting quality people around him.''

Lazarus has known Neeleman since 1991, when Weston Presidio invested $14 million in Salt Lake City-based Morris Air, which Neeleman ran as president. In 1993, the airline was sold to Southwest, resulting in a $25 million profit for Neeleman and a $29 million gain for Weston Presidio and its limited partners.

While Lazarus won't say when JetBlue might issue an initial public offering, analysts believe it could be as soon as next year, depending on market conditions.

``We invested because we believe -- one, it's an amazing team of people, and two, there is a screaming opportunity in the travel business -- and with the people we had to compete with, it's not difficult to manage expectations,'' Lazarus said. ``People have such low expectations, all you have to do is be a little better.''

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
JetBlue

The addition of JetBlue as a means of travelling to the DR would bring:

1)competition with AA and lead to lower fares
2)More travel agencies pushing vacation packages to American travelers sparking more American tourism to the DR

which would lead to:

The construction of many more AI resorts along the coasts to accomadate the increase in tourism and these areas would begin to resmeble places in the world like Cancun

It would also lead to:

More American tourists becoming interested in realestate in the DR after visiting and seeing what a beautiful,cheap paradise it is.This would effectually increase the prices of realestate and everything else due to the sudden foreign interest to the country.The DR would eventually become more expensive,Americanised and begin to lose the culture/flavor that it has.

You might be shaking your heads but the reason why there are not a lot of American tourists coming to the DR are:
-most Americans dont speak Spanish(you dont need spanish in Cancun)
-they hear horror stories about police corruption and are worried about getting excecuted or thrown in jail
-they know that alternatives like Cancun are safe

The USA is a stones thrw away from the DR.If the travel agents start sparking American interest here..the floodgates will open and all the things I stated above will happen.Let the rest of the USA go to PR and Cancun and ruin those places so I can continue to come to the DR for nice cheap vacations on AA.
Larry

Last edited:

johnsr

Bronze
Apr 13, 2002
Let the rest of the USA go to PR and Cancun and ruin those places so I can continue to come to the DR for nice cheap vacations on AA.

As much as I would like less expensive flights, I have to totally agree with you Larry!
John

Apr 26, 2002
Samana - Very interesting about the Ft. Lauderdale service. FLL does have customs/immigration. So Robert seems to be correct when he says that JetBlue is concerned about visa status and connecting passenger to domestic airports.

Larry - JetBlue is NOT a tourism package carrier, and SDQ is NOT a prime prepackaged tour destination. So I still believe that any JetBlue entry would just re-slice the existing pie of passengers.

GRS

Jan 2, 2002
The USA have been looking in providing Pre-Clearance at select airports in the Dominican Republic. After Sept. 11 they backed out of the idea, but last I heard, they were looking again into the concept. I guess we will have to wait and see. One of the biggest problems is the space this type of facilities requires, and the conditions that must be met and provide a strict following of the rules, something that rarely applies in the Dominican Republic.

Latino2002

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Great news..i been sending e-mail to Jet blue about services the DR From JFK.

Also Delta still interesting to re-start services after more of 45 Years without services SDQ.

aviastar

Bronze
Jan 12, 2003
www.www.www
Well, I used to be in love with Delta. It was such a good airline, but like 10 years ago. Now it became such a normal carrier, it changed a lot, it is not the FLYING PARADISE anymore. I used to fly on DL only before, but now I avoid it. And they are together with one of the worst european carriers AF.

So now DL says they will serve DOM again, maybe they will, but their major market is continental USA and Europe, so they should concentrate there. They must remember about their financial situation :mad:

Dominicanoxp

Dec 19, 2002
wow

he oido par de gente mencionar esto about jetblue
pero imaginense ustede jetblue esta lleno el vuelo todo el tiempo
no sale un avion vacio
es la linea com mayor crecimiento
un hoyo para delta, american, united entre otras que operan jfk
esta es la aerolinea del futuro volando economicos airbuses
best plane a ac tech could ask to fix in a bad day
jajajaja

pero ellos podrian tener 4 vuelos o mas diario a sdq

odio a AA
i love JB

aviastar

Bronze
Jan 12, 2003
www.www.www
JET BLUE IS EXPENSIVE!!!!!!!!!!

Jet Blue is not discounted airline asit claims to be. Their fares are high, for example

JFK FLL JFK 19MAY/26MAY is 280 USD minimum.
NYC SJU NYC 261 USD
NYC SLC NYC 267 USD
NYC LGB NYC 310 USD

compare it to RYANAIR:

LON FRA LON 14 GBP with all taxes.
LON BRU LON 22 GBP with all taxes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!