Juan Dolio; Boca Chica; Bayahibe?

LisaB

Apr 26, 2003
What do they offer: which has more to do at night like walk around; outdoor bars; a bit of action; nothing wild.
Something to see and do. We ike the outdoor things.

What about dayshopping; which town is best.

Thanks!!!

dale7

Apr 18, 2002
www.stores.ebay.com
Only know about Boca Chica

LisaB,
First thing, more info is needed. Age category, going with boyfriend/husband, alone, or maybe with another female companion. I can give a generalization about Boca Chica. It has a great beach with very calm waters. It is more of a town for a person who likes bars and nightlife. Great for singles or couple of friends who want to have a great beach and party or want something low budget, BC is for you. I have been there three times and I enjoy the town. I have been to Juan Dolio briefly and it more mild than BC, more AI's, more expensive but a good beach as well. It depends on your taste. For a romantic getaway with some nightlife and a little less wild, try Juan Dolio. Don't know anything about bayahibe. Others will be posting and sharing their views on the matter.
dale7(Howard)

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Boca Chica, has a mix of about everthing. If you are somewhat adventuress you will find it is compact enough to walk around, see everything, and have a nightlife. However, expect to be approached by all types of vendors. It is about 20-30 minute drive to Santo Domingo. Juan Dolio, on the other hand is a little bit more sedate and upscale than Boca Chica, I feel it is more family friendly. It is the Presidential weekend (Camp David) getaway place. It is about a 30-45 minute drive to Santo Domingo. Bayahibe is located just east of La Romana and is a small town with A.I.'s. It does have some local bars in a low key sort of area. Some of the tours from the A.I.'s focus on day trips to Altos de Chavon, islands, and cane fields. It is about two hours drive to the Capital.

If you want a good mix of everything, I must admit Boca Chica would be a better choice and by its proximity to the Capital is a great jumping off point for day trips to explore the big city. However, if you desire a more restrained location to set up camp, Juan Dolio is fine and day trips to the Capital are convenient. Regards, PJT

CMS

Jan 28, 2003
more

sleeziest town with most crowded and dirty beach=Boca Chica
Prettiest beach with nicest AI resorts=Bayahibe

OK beach with OK hotels next to nothing= Juan Dolio

I would pick Bayahibe, you could see Altos de Chavon and party and dance at the AI's or neighboring towns.

LisaB

Apr 26, 2003
thanks; ok here's some more info......

Hi thanks guys; for the info!

Ok we're a couple 39 and 40. Don't want a real quite boring place; at the same time not interested in the 20 something single wild crowd (no offense; been there done that and what a ball) lol

A nice beach is very important to us;

We are use to going places that we can venture out off the resort;

We like a bit more laid back, comfortable places to drink; dance; listen to local music and have some Fun;

And yes the romantic ding places too are nice.

Hope this paints the picture.

Any suggestions based on that?

(Mixed reviews; hard to choose lol)

:confused:

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Re: thanks; ok here's some more info......

LisaB said:
Hi thanks guys; for the info!
:confused:

Do you mean you want to stay in an all-inclusive? If so the town matters not a lot, actually the country doesn't really make a lot of difference. Whatever is least expensive or fastest to get to.

Try going to Boca Chica and a non AI hotel like Costalunga or Europa or Zapata and actually be a tourist. Of course some packages are so cheap that it is hard to justify venturing out.

The comment about the beach being dirty in Boca Chica is really unfair. Crowded some days but not dirty at all.

For an AI with a "bit" or real people thrown in - try Don Juan in Boca Chica which has not had the gall like the Hamaca to build a wall on the public beach and prevent locals and others from even going in - it is still AI and you have some actual people who live there and non AI tourists on the beach.

The other two cities (? Towns ?) are dinky and other than the AI's not a heck of a lot to offer.

Here's a tip go to

www.bocachicabeach.net for more about BC than you can shake a stick at and pix of the AI's and all the tourist places.

Here's your big chance!

CMS

Jan 28, 2003
more...

Lisa,
A couple of more things....
Bayahibe is located closely to a couple of pretty islands that you can day trip to for some excellent snorkelling.
I also find the ocean views of Boca Chica to be obstructed by a large shipping port in the distance so that is another negative.
Of course all of these letters are people's opinions and you will have to make up your own mind. I have stayed in all 3 areas. You can find small non all enclusive hotels in Bayahibe as well, but the area is known for their excellent all inclusive hotels. If you are going that route I recommend the Viva Dominicus or Dominicus Palace hotels.
Best of luck and I hope you post a trip report upon your return.
cms

dale7

Apr 18, 2002
www.stores.ebay.com
If you want to venture outside of a resort

I would seriously recommend Juan Dolio, which is AI heaven or Boca Chica if you want to visit the capital. Santo Domingo is a great city to explore and so much to do or see there. The Botanical Gardens, Historical Buildings, The old Catholic Cathedral, sorry the name slips me, I believe 3 museums there, I have went to two there, shopping the main area on the street calle de conde, many bars/discos. Juan Dolio is very nice if you want the AI thing but is farther to Santo Domingo than Boca Chica. The night life isn't as good there either. Both BC and Juan Dolio have great beaches, not dirty at all. On Sundays the beach in Boca Chica is packed with people from Santo Domingo and the surrounding areas and it is great to watch the little children playing in the water, etc. I have heard Bayihibe(spelling) has a nice beach as well but isn't close to Santo Domingo but I have never been there so I can't comment on it. Boca Chica has 3 AI's but why settle for an AI. Rick who is very knowledgeable about BC has recommended the Costa Lunga and so do I. I have stayed there and it is a great hotel with an Italian restaurant and internet center right there. The Europa is nice as well but if you are thinking of staying there, almost on the beach, don't get the street side rooms and not the 1st floor. It can get a little noisy but is a nice hotel if you follow the recommendations I have given concerning what rooms to get. Costa Lunga is my 1st choice though. There are vendors at all beaches but if not interested say No, and waive your finger side to side, if they are persistent be more forceful and say Vaya. For a more relaxed AI atmosphere try out Juan Dolio it will cost more than other areas but is more tame so to speak but for less money and non AI atmosphere with more nightlife, try out BC and the beach there is great and the port is so far off in the distance(miles away on North east side) it doesn't block anyview, CMS that is my view on that, you are making it seem like it is right in the way is the way I took that comment. I am being non opinionated but Bayahibe isn't close to the capital and I don't think as much to do there as Juan Dolio or BC. I recommend on my experiences: 1st choice BC, 2nd choice Juan Dolio. If not concerned about going to a must see city, (Santo Domingo)
1st choice: BC
2nd choice: Bayahibe because Juan Dolio is AI heaven and I don't like AI's.

CMS

Jan 28, 2003
Dale

Fair enough Dale,
These are our opinions based on our personal preferences. All we can do is offer ideas as a way to help travellers.
I would add to your letter that Bayahibe is also mostly AIs with very little else for lodgings. I think most would agree with me though that there is no comparing the three beaches mentioned. Bayahibe's is far superior to the other two.
cms

dale7

Apr 18, 2002
www.stores.ebay.com
Fair enough CMS

I am sure Bayahibe has a great beach and from web searching it, and from one other person, they say the beach is nice. I didn't realize it was mainly AI's as well but I did find out it is a small area. Lisa was specifically asking about the South Coast because I assume she wanted to go to the capital and I was thinking closeness to the capital. Juan Dolio and Boca Chica are the only places I know within 45 minutes of Santo Domingo, BC being a little closer. I didn't find anything wrong with BC's or Juan Dolio beach but they were up to my standards and one of these times I will have to check out Bayahibe to see the beach for myself and then I can make a total judgement. Whatever you decide to do Lisa, enjoy your trip.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Re: If you want to venture outside of a resort

dale7 said:
I would seriously recommend Juan Dolio, [snip] I recommend on my experiences: 1st choice BC, 2nd choice Juan Dolio. If not concerned about going to a must see city, (Santo Domingo)
1st choice: BC
2nd choice: Bayahibe because Juan Dolio is AI heaven and I don't like AI's.

Howie:

Paragraphs please, paragraphs.

Also the Zapata Hotel is more family and less party people and it is right on the beach so f you are a couple want to be on the beach and want to be able to walk to the main drag it may exceed the Europa which is a bit of a hooker hunters HQ frankly. Zapata is more family focused and less into that sort of thing.

Read the www.bocachicabeach.net site and you can SEE and read ALL this stuff and get a perspective.

dale7

Apr 18, 2002
www.stores.ebay.com
Message taken and noted, Rick, lol. Sometimes I just start typing away and my thoughts get all jumbled.

Lisa,
Check out that website: www.bocachicabeach.net. That site will have photos of hotels, restaurants, with contact information and prices along with every other little tidbit of information you could want. In BC, you can enjoy a nice beach and numerous hotels for under $50US a night. There are plenty of small shops to shop at and have three major discos: Cosmos, La Cueva, and the disco at the Hamaca(Las Ollas). There are water recreational activities to do there and around a 30 minute taxi ride to the capital. Try something else other than the AI resorts and you will enjoy your stay more, spend less money, and get to live outside the resort and meet Dominican people.

dale7(Howard) Thanks Rick for giving away my nickname, Howie, only family and friends call me that, lol. Never thanked you or Jim H for the info regarding phone cards, Noblecom works great, belated thanks.

justme

Oct 3, 2002
Stay away from the Barcelo's in Juan Dolio

Just returned, would not recommend these AI.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Full Disclosure

dale7 said:
and have three major discos: Cosmos, La Cueva, and the disco at the Hamaca(Las Ollas).

First I guessed at Howie ( but it was shroter to type, hint hint).

Second as to tourist couples, I am not so sure of the Cosmos/ La Cueva recommendation - first they are unbelievably loud and second they really do tend to serve the girlies looking for tourists.

Tourists not using the Hamaca hotel can pay to enter their disco (which admittedly has girlies there too) for I think $10 US including drinks.

Route 66 and Madhouse/Austria are also a bit mixed tourists and girlies but , well , really the whole thing is 2 blocks long and you cannot damage anything (maybe your hearing) by looking isnide, no cover charge, etc.

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
It's a new "Disco Bar" in the street called Hot Point. They were open for a couple of months before Politur shut the down, reopened a few days ago. A part of their promotion is "chicas mas caliente, mejor clientele" (he, he) strange that it's always empty (maybe not so strange since a Corona is 65 pesos). The good thing about Boca Chica is free "entertainment" in the street (a good laugh most of the time), and it's close to Santo Domingo. Just came back from Bayahibe, still one of my favourites in DR. Isla Saona and Isla Catalina worth a visit. My other favourites are Zona Colonial, Las Terrenas and Cotui!!

MaryS

Feb 13, 2003
Zapata

I can recomment Boca Chica and Zapata. The people are friendly and helpful, food is so=so, but there are lots of restaurants in Boca Chica.

The rooms are kept spotless. If you're not there on the weekend, the beaches will be spotless too.