Barcelo Capella Juan Dolio

justme

Oct 3, 2002
Just returned at 4 am this morning, if we could have switched our flights for an earlier departure we WOULD have. I have been to the Dom. Rep. 3 times prior but always in the Northern Puerto Plata area. This time I tought we would try something different and go to the south region. It was different all right. This resort is by no means a 5 Star, these tour companies should really re-think this one. I would give the grounds a 4 cause it was beautiful, but the staff a 1 star cause they were SO RUDE ALL THE TIME and NOT helpful what so ever and the food a 1+ unless of course you like eating the same thing 3 times a day for 7 days. The beach and ocean area a 0. Never again. Just so unbelieveable for the DR if this was my first time down I would never go again. Good think I know what it could be like .

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Justme...

Too bad you had a bad experience in the South coast...I was also dissapointed when I went to Juan Dolio, I stayed at the Barcelo Decameron...but the trip was free so I couldn't complain too much!

If you have a chance to visit Punta Cana, stay either at the Barcelo complex or the Riu, you would absolutely change your mind...

The resorts are beautiful, the beaches WAY more beautiful than the north coast beaches, white sand, clear blue waters...

Trust me...I have been there 4 times... Juan Dolio is not typical...
neither is Boca Chica...

I love POP, there's much more going on on the North Coast, but Punta Cana and it's beaches can't be beat!

Better luck next time!

selfcurledgirl

May 11, 2003
Juan Dolio?

I was thinking of staying at the Occidental Allegro Playa Real in SD and I believe it is in the Juan Dolio area. It is a reasonable all inclusive package and I thought I would travel around. Is the beach so terrible? I am wondering if i should do it. I was planning for Aug, is this also not a good time?,due to rain.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
What's your flavor

If it's your first time coming to the DR, and you're curious and adventurous enough, you can cover a large swath of the island in a week. This will allow you to find the flavor that suits your desires most.

In a general sense, the North coast caters to the beach bum/sporting type. The worst thing about Cabarete in my opinion is leaving; it's absolute hell. Many would say the same about PP/Sosua. The golf in the North is exclusive and quite expensive, but well worth it if you like to try everything once (or in my case Playa Grande 4 times).

Again in general, the South coast offers more of the cultural aspects (I?m thinking mostly S.D. and the old America's/history theme) but with that comes far more people at the beaches and the inherent activities of a large international city.

I've only been to Altos de Chavon once (my furthest venture East), and I have yet to frequent any of the beaches beyond Guyacanes (sp) Embassy, Juan Dolio and Boca Chica. But I understand they are beautiful. Farther East and working north, you?ll find more remote beaches, some you may have completely to yourself, but less likely to find a cold Presidente on call, smaller towns, less people, etc.

selfcurledgirl if you are going strictly for the beach/resort theme, I think the Juan Dolio area may not satisfy you. At least it wouldn't me, the AI thing isn't my flavor at all. If you want to see S.D. and all the cool stuff you can do here, then it should work well for you, you?re only a short bumpy ride away. The people I've tooled around this island were grateful to be able to see a little of each flavor, North, South and the city.

If you have an idea in your mind that you might make the DR a recurring theme in your life than I'd recommend you come for two weeks (or more if you can swing it) and scout it all out; North from PP to Samana, South from S.D. to the East, Punta Cana, etc. All very doable in that amount of time with some to spare to settle in and enjoy a few days at what you?ve found agreeable.

If you're able to do that and you can make the logistical effort of getting yourself everywhere (read: patience, perseverance and the language), then you are surely to find a spot you'll want to come back to over and over again. In this regard also, once you get the knack of getting around the island you'll find that beyond this general description, there are numerous other things to see and do.

If you dig the AI thing there are some places for you to lose yourself in great beauty and fawning treatment and attention, on all sides of the island.

If you want to be an adventurer and try numerous beach sports, climb the highest mountain in the Caribbean, fly down hillsides on bike, up them on horses and back down again jumping off and sliding down 27 waterfalls, you can do that too.

A proverbial bevy of flavors for those so inclined to taste what the tropics can be all about.

Edited to add: From what I glean from people lately is that the weather has been less than predictable in the past year or so; just not following the "normal" patterns.

I personally love storms and especially the cooling effect in the city (those 2-3 minutes are like a slice of heaven!). Point being I wouldn't let previous weather (unless you're petrified of hurricanes) have a huge bearing on your decision. Besides, the sun gets to be a bit too much and a daily storm is usually a welcome thing. Rarely do they last more than a half-hour/hour.

Last edited:

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
I just spoke to my Dominican (cousin in laws) who just had a great three day weekend at the Capella. I have been there a couple of times and have really liked it, although for finacial reasons we tend to stay more often at the Talanquera.

I've been to the North Coast and Samana, Las Terenas (Not in an AI) and the North Coast definately has a different feel. Having lived in the South of the country and going to places closer to Sto Domingo I find that we really have a great time. Up North there are many more tourist and so we tend not to enjoy ourselves as much (one minor example is the discotec, plays mostly european and american music) my Dominican husband rather dance merengue and bachata... so would I.