Puter problems again

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
Something happened. Have no clue. But lost alot of stuff. When I go to the chat room it says I need to download the java machine. I do and it keeps saying I need to update my windows stuff. When I go to download what it says it freezes and doesn't do shit.
All I want to do is get into the chat room. I've been sitting at this puter since about 10 this morning and its now 12:25 AM. Can't figure it out.I've deleted every cookie and every temp file and still won't work. HELP!!!!

bobnoxious

*** Sin Bin ***
Jan 2, 2002
Wow, 14 hours...

I think that's a record.

I hate to say it, but your computer might just be screwed. You may want to resort to the dreaded "Format C:" and start reloading your software.

I know it sucks, but it'll take less than 14 hours and you'll be clean as clean can be.

(P.S. If you think a virus is lurking, you may try the site at www.trendmicro.com and do their online scan...but it sounds like a clean slate is in your future).

Kiss the Sniffster and remember that life does have focus, you just have to drink a lot (at Jan's Bar) to see it.

problems

do the online virus scan first,
use the dreaded Format C: only as a last resort.

Try loading your computer in the dos mode and then do this at the c: prompt

scanreg /restore

then use the oldest date available (should be 5 shown), this will take you back to the configuration of that day, reboot after and you hopefully will have no problems.

rubio

Apr 28, 2003
www.geocities.com
You should do what the other posters have said. Run scan disk, defragment, and check for viruses.

I don't know what operating system you have. Try this either way: click on "run" then type in "sfc"

That might help in some.

Good luck, Ciao

Rubio

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Jan said:
Something happened. Have no clue. But lost alot of stuff. When I go to the chat room it says I need to download the java machine. I do and it keeps saying I need to update my windows stuff. When I go to download what it says it freezes and doesn't do shit.
All I want to do is get into the chat room. I've been sitting at this puter since about 10 this morning and its now 12:25 AM. Can't figure it out.I've deleted every cookie and every temp file and still won't work. HELP!!!!

2 possible problems:

1. Somehow your computer has become a Puter so you only have 5/8 of it left.

2. Go to www.sun.com and download the Java Virtual Machine (free) - if you are on later versions of XP there is no java VM as they got into that lawsuit/pissing contest and Java is Sun's language.

Once you install the Java VM it will go to java sites.

Another tip go to Mozilla.org and download and install mozilla (the open source version of Netscape without having to tolerate AOL's involvement at all) - when you go to sites that need plug ins like java or Flash it tells you, takes you there and gets the application.

Plus it is not IE.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Jan

Hi Jan,
I dont know too much about computers but I have had a lot of cookie problems with DR1 and not just on my home PC but on other ones I use occasionally. One day SJH was kind enough to walk me through the process of creating a shortcut on my desktop to DR1 so I go straight through Internet Explorer instead of using aol. If you can get someone to help you do this it might correct the problem. Either way I hope you get it straightened out cause I miss seeing you in the chat room :)

Larry

cookies

How can you have a DR1 cookie problem? All websites drop a cookie on your computer for easy future access , if you delete them that's ok but you have to log in each time, DR1 cookies are not a problem.
The scan disk and defrag might help the problem.
The sun java is ok to download and run.

But still do a scanreg /restore to take your computer back to the configuration that was working.

rendul

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
rendul.tripod.com
Puter Problems!!!

Me too Jan. I was told that the latest patch from Microsoft, a security update, has screwed up the world of computers. Friday night my system crashed HUGE!!! and the next day I had to spend a $950.00 CDN to overhaul my system, all new software, etc., etc. They said that the service has been overwhelmed with problems all stemming from the latest security patch. Have you done the update recently? Anyway, hope things get going for you.

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
BIG PROBLEMS!!
When I go to download all the updayes they don't work, they havent worked in a while.
Can't instal the java thing. Have tried many.Now the puter says that msjava.dll file is missing from the puter and I can't instal my camera and photo thing cause I can't change the display properties. That option is missing from my control panel.
I've gone back to the ms dos thing and went to the oldest version there and its still messed up.
I have no idea how to uninstal windows. I looked at the files and it said something if you have FAT converter it won't uninstal and it seems that i have the fat thingy.
I've tried all I know to try and can't fix it.
I did all the scan disc stuff. My norton anti virus expired last month. I downloaded some free one and it seemed to be doing ok.
I hhave no clue. Sure miss everyone in the chat!

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Jan can you still get into Yahoo? Maybe we can meet you there tomorrow night. Let me know.

rubio

Apr 28, 2003
www.geocities.com
$950 to repair a computer? That's certainly a lot of money. If I was confronted with that situation I would just put that money down towards a new and more reliable computer. But I guess it depends on your own situation and what you need at the present moment.

My two cents.

Rubio

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
For $950 I'll sell you two computers and put the latest Java on both of them, plus give you a written warranty that both of them will be able to access the DR1 chatroom for one year, AND give you onsite technical support whenever I'm in a good mood.