Anyone Want to Meet in DR in July?

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Hi all.
I originally mentioned this under another post on a different subject (regarding the chat room), but think perhaps it might be best to start a thread on it so that no one can accuse me of hiding the announcement. :cheeky:
My family and I plan a 2-3 week trip in July, our first return since moving nearly 4 yrs ago. In addition to the requisite round of family visits in SD, we also would like to visit much missed friends & have some R&R on the North Coast :cool: & I personally would love to meet any DR1'ers interested, 'specifically the good folks I've been conversing with on DR1 for many yrs without actually meeting face-to-face, like Cleef, HB & Pib. I would never miss the opportunity to see Rob & Dolores while in SD, so maybe we could make it a DR1 reunion or mini-reunion in SD or in PP? Anyhow, anyone interested let please me know by post, chat, PM or e-mail as my wife & I are starting to plan out the trip now.
Best regards,
Keith

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
Hola Keith!!

Drop me a line right before you get here.
In the Capital is best for us.

Thanks
Tim H.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Re: Hola Keith!!

Timex said:
Drop me a line right before you get here.
In the Capital is best for us.

Thanks
Tim H.
Thanks, Tim. I had intended on looking you up, as I suspect you and your wife have much in common with us. Most of my wife's family and most of our friends live in the capital, so we'll definitely be spending the bulk of our time there and thus should be able to hook up with you.
And thanks for responding! I find it humbling that this post has been up for 2 days and viewed by over 100, but received only one reply! I knew I was not controversial enough to be one of the DR1 "most popular," but thought I'd get a little better response than this! :confused:
Best Regards,
Keith

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
I hope to be going back to the DR in July with my husband. Once the plans are finalized it would be great to meet up with some of the DR1's...

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Don't take it personally Keith!

It is just that most of us who live here have aquired the dominican outlook on "Time"! You are talking about JULY! My God that is years away! We don't make plans that far ahead.When it is Febuary,and I read a post from someone in Canada saying that they were just here,and making their plans to return next year,I always smile!That is one of the best things about living here,you don't have to plan ahead.You can change your mind.You can even "lie",although I don't think that the dominicans consider it lying,and say you are going to do something when you have no intention of doing it!I,m sure that when,and if,July finally comes,and you are here,people would love to meet you! Cris Colon

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Re: Don't take it personally Keith!

Criss Colon said:
It is just that most of us who live here have aquired the dominican outlook on "Time"! You are talking about JULY! My God that is years away! We don't make plans that far ahead.When it is Febuary,and I read a post from someone in Canada saying that they were just here,and making their plans to return next year,I always smile!That is one of the best things about living here,you don't have to plan ahead.You can change your mind.You can even "lie",although I don't think that the dominicans consider it lying,and say you are going to do something when you have no intention of doing it!I,m sure that when,and if,July finally comes,and you are here,people would love to meet you! Cris Colon
:laugh:
Thanks, CC, for reminding me about "Dominican time"! Shows just how long I've been away!

Actually, I should have known better when I wrote that post, since I never tell government & business people in Latin America I'm coming to meet with them until 2 weeks before the date of the appointment I want! My wife, perhaps too Americanized any more (altho' she'd get furious to hear me say that), says I'm crazy to wait so long. My reply is that if I try to start scheduling any sooner than that, no one takes me seriously and they'll all just reply "call me when you get into town and we'll set up something"!!! :confused: Imagine trying to set up a 2-week schedule of 4 meetings per day with important folksin Latin America, all on the basis of same-day phone calls. Yeah, right! Not likely. But if I call or e-mail them 1-2 weeks beforehand, saying I'm showing up next week, and my meeting slots are disappearing fast, claim yours, I usually get the schedule I want -- by the time I'm boarding the plane to go there!:laugh:

Anyhoo, I figure that there are some North Americans & Europeans living/working in the DR that still like to have a "heads up" warning as they contemplate how they're going to spend their summer, so maybe I should have directed this message at them.;)

I hope when the time comes, we can meet the legendary Criss Colon! I hear that you've skipped some recent "reunion" events.
Best Regards,
Keith

P.S. to kjdrga : Aren't you here in the DC area like I am, and didn't we once talk about pulling together a DR1 reunion for this area? We should call MaineGirl and see what we can organize!

Last edited:

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
Yup we talked about a DC reunion and I was left to plan it, but with all the deaths in our family and so many life changes I don't have the energy to organize it. But I would love to get together with others....

It would actually be easier for me to see you in the DR than here in DC. Just the way life is....there I can get up late take a publico or taxi to where I need to get hang out and not worry too much about life. DC....the traffic, the rain (these last few days) did I mention the traffic? Besides there work, you just don't enjoy life as much here like in the DR, but then again I was paid peanuts in the DR compared to here.... so it's all a tradeoff....

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
Hey guys...
Where do you guys want to meet for dinner? I am all for a DC reunion. I just hate driving into Fairfax and I have never been in Maryland (except the real rural parts....) So come to Loudoun, it is extremely picturesque and has some great restaurants!

:) :)

MG

(a month away from moving back to God's country)

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
DR1 reunion in DC area

MaineGirl said:
Hey guys...
Where do you guys want to meet for dinner? I am all for a DC reunion. I just hate driving into Fairfax and I have never been in Maryland (except the real rural parts....) So come to Loudoun, it is extremely picturesque and has some great restaurants!

:) :)

MG

(a month away from moving back to God's country)
MG, kjdrga & all others in DC area,
I'm all up for a DR1 reunion of the DC area folk, I'm just not so good at organizing such things. While I personally wouldn't mind going out to the Loudon area, not sure others in the area could -- they might get lost in the cow/horse pastures! lol (just kidding) Anywhere & anywhen is fine by me, even if just pizza & beer. Would be nice just to meet folks with the DR in common. I'm located between Alexandria and Springfield, practically next door to where I-395 intersects with the Beltway. So anywhere in the region is possible, but I prefer not having to journey to Maryland if I don't have to (although there's a fast-growing Dominican community up there).
Just tell me when & where to show up! :)
Best Regards,
Keith

Last edited:

bladeNYC

May 14, 2003
www.dr1.com
SI como no...

I?m currently making plans to go visit for the end of July (2 weeks). At work, we might be handled a big project this upcoming summer. If we don?t take this ? F?er, I am there my friends. Ready to meet all of you DR1ers out there. Yes, bladeNYC will make it happened.

Hey Criss C., who?s handling the ?Media Gallery? section. I recently sent my pic. Thanks.
;)

bladeNYC
DR1, my new bARRIO

Last edited:

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Keith,
Nearer the time PM or e-mail me & I'll send you my Tel. No. to contact me when you are up here on the North Coast. I'm not proud, I'll meet with ANYONE (ask HB, Johnny, Jazz & Rob!!).

Would be good to put a face behind the name!! - Grahame.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
I will have to stand up with Grahame on this one and I am sure so will the others. Everytime I see him he is hanging out with 3 dollar hookers. Matter of fact I cant believe he took them to my
Easter Dinner but the rest of us (the ones he mentioned) were too polite to say anything about them. Now I am not sure why he was hanging out with these women but he isn't proud, like he said!

Regards
Escott

PS> we already have plans to hook up and saw no need to post about it.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Come off it Escott, What makes you think I would spend THAT much on a hooker??? US $3 is a whole RD $80 these days!!!! Nah, they come for my body or nothing ..... And mainly it's nothing!!!

Tony Cabrera

Sep 24, 2002
Meeting in July...

Iam also heading to DR in july 3 thru 25 count me in for the reunion (in the north coast).

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Me too.

I've been lurking far too long - and in all the wrong places. What can I say? Our home is far too close to Sosua!

So far all I know is "Chris". I think I finally have her African politics straightened out. So I am ready to open up some new debates (and some new bottles of white wine at the same time) with some new faces. It would be nice to put some faces with the posts I've been reading for so long but haven't had time to reply to.

Count me and Alba in if you're doing this anywhere between the the North Coast and Santiago!

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Hi Guys. Here's the scoop.

By popular request/demand, I am trying to organize two DR1 get-togethers during my family's return to beloved Quisqueya.

The first will be Santo Domingo on Sat., 5 July, at the Beer Haus. Come one, come all in the SD area at the time and meet my wife and I. We're still trying to figure the time -- probably starting around 8 or 9 [that's American time -- if you're Dominican, pretend I said 7 pm so you might show up close to on-time! ;) ]Suggestions welcome.

Maybe, just maybe, the mysterious CC and Golo will shock us all by showing up! hee hee

Then we plan to be in the Sosua area Thurs-Fri 17-18 July, and would like to do something similar with the North Coasters. Perhaps at Eddy's? If not Eddy's then maybe Rocky's? Which day would be best for most of us, and at what time? All input welcomed, whether here on this thread, or by e-mail or PM.

Looking forward to meeting you all!

Best regards,
Keith

duhtree

Jun 2, 2003
re - union

Hi all. I to will be in the DR from the 10 to the 20th. Would like to be included in this reunion so I can meet the faces of the voices of my new neighbors. Let me know the where and when.
I will begin at BC then head towards the north end. Please let me know
John