Hipolito Ganara!!!

Apr 26, 2002
That's right, President Lardass' team is doing all the right things to assure his reelection. Those of you who think Leonel has him licked just because of little things like disasterous economic and financial policies and an embarrasingly incompetent administration don't understand a thing about DR politics. Here's how the campaign has gone and will go:

- The PRSC is already neutralized. Peynado is in the dust. Eduardo who? Estrella will sell his support to the highest bidder after the first round of elections, and that highest bidder will be His Hipponess! Hundreds of millions of dollars in unmonitored, high interest, short term international bank loans gives him quite the nefareous "leg up" on campaign dollars (and in destroying any long term hope for the country thanks to you Europeans, Canadians and Americans).

- The PRD "opponents", like Fello Subervi and Hatuey de Camps, will all either be bought into the PPH or will make only enough noise to keep their names in the papers and then stay on the sidelines. After the Hippo's next disasterous term, DeCamps will be able to say he was the voice of reason; but he will alway work within the PRD. There will be no party split because everyone's afraid of the PPH and it's a party of lambonosos anyway. Milagros? Who cares, she has nothing!

- Who in their right mind would vote for another 4 years of this turkey? The answer to that question depends on the economic desparation and level of education of the person you ask. Hippo's group has by far the most resources to BUY CEDULAS (voting cards) from the poor (thanks to Citibank, Banco Santander, DeutcheBanc, etc). I've already ordered cement, cement blocks and zink roofing for my new kitchen from my local PRD bagman. He was kind enough to stop by last week to remind me that Hippo will be seeking reelection and to ask me about my needs for construction materials. I told him I didn't need the offered rice, beans and cooking oil. I'll want cash, though, for my cedula come election day. 500 Pesos should do it (more if the Peso continues to devalue).

- And, with all of the above, Hippo will still lose the actual popular vote in the second round of elections. Ah, but who cares about the "actual" popular vote? Since the Hippo controls the Junta (election board), he would have to lose by more than 6% or 7% of the vote before the fraud that the Junta intends to commit would become too obvious and shamefull for even the political hacks serving on it (at least that was a reasonable percentage spread by which Balaguer used to be able to retain control) and for the US Embassy (if even they care anymore - after all, it ain't Jimmy Carter sleeping in the White House these days). The PRD always has a firm 45% to 48% of the popular vote.

Sorry about that folks, but the new Balaguer has sneaked up on us and he ain't going anywhere soon.

socuban

Nov 24, 2002
Porfio_Rubirosa

can I buy your vote? I'll write it off as "international aid" if my accountant will let me. Grossed up with extended family, it'll bring me to about 27 votes the Hippo can't have.

What can I say, I like the DR, and IMHO, I think Hippo & company have gotten plenty fat at the expense of the [common] people.

Give the country a break (as I head to the mountains to form the revolution)!
;)

ERICKXSON

Bronze
Dec 24, 2002
www.creambay.com
HAHAHHAHAHAHA! SO CUBAN FOR ADMINISTRATOR OF THE REPUBLIC.......

NEXT YEAR I'LL VOTE FOR THE FIRST TIME IN THE DR
MY VOTE WILL COUNT AGAINST HIPPO! 300%

Apr 26, 2002
Buy My Vote

Yes, you may offer to buy my vote and the votes of my large loyal group. We will consider the following:

- Bids higher than 500 pesos per cedula.
- Five "no show" jobs with impressive titles in the ministries of your choice. These jobs must pay at least RD$10,000 per month.
- A new apartment in a government-owned project near Las Americas.
- One of those Plan Renove loans for a new Nissan guagua - you know, the kind that I don't have to ever pay back. Wink, wink, nod, nod.
- We can discuss my job in your administration. If consul for New York or Miami is asking too much (it would surely make me a multi-millionaire), I might settle for a position in government procurement.
- Would I be pushing it if I asked for one of those Baninter Visa cards?

socuban

Nov 24, 2002
for entertainment purposes

and since ERICKXSON is having just as much fun as I am;

- I think there is enough left over from 1Q earnings account to cover the cedulas
- Since I used up all the money in the bank to pay for the cedulas, I can use the last $2K in my wallet to "forceably neutralize" the heads in your group, eliminating repetitious overhead
- How about a 3X5 cell in nayajo instead?
- Hippo and ALL of his lambones would have to issue an IOU to every non-PRD voter in the country equivalent to formula TBD by NEW, POST-ENRON economics TEAM
- Be careful what you ask for, you might just get it!
- DR needs a governmental public relations lift. I would start by replacing the visa cards w/ platinum amex cards, caveat being that they would be tied to the user personally and line-item checked by yours truly before a public payment is ever made
;)

Amber

Jan 24, 2003
Porfirio is absolutely right

I wish it were otherwise..for the good of the country... HECK!! FOR THE GOOD OF MY BUSINESSES!!!:dead:
Pretty soon we?re going to be whispering.. que vivan las mariposas..

Apr 26, 2002
It is reported today that His Hipponess has announced that he will NOT accept any IMF instructed financial changes. In other words, he SAYS that he will not allow any 1980s style IMF-ordered austerity plans to put the country back on its financial feet.

The hillarity in this, of course, is that it is The Hippo who through total reckless indifference to the financial health of the country created the crisis in the first place.

As I've written before, Hippo's crew are NOT STUPID. This statement by President Hipocrito is a tactical CAMPAIGN POSITION. Of course, it's mierda del toro. It's purpose, though, is to set a stage. Now every time that Leonel Fernandez accuses The Hippo of being financially reckless and corruptly indebting the nation, His Hipponess will counter that Leonel seeks an IMF austerity plan that will cost thousands of jobs, increase prices, create misery and lead to civil unrest.

The further irony is that, once elected, His Baldness will, OF COURSE, have to enter into an austerity agreement with the IMF. President Hippo learned from his infamous "paquetazo" (i.e. plan to help the poor from the last campaign that never came to fruition) that naked lies during a campaign are nothing to be afraid of.

Now I have to decide who I hate more, Hipolito or the (fully aware) banks and G7 (plus Spain) governments that lent him the money in the first place. My scorn for the IMF has already been well established.

Last edited:

Amber

Jan 24, 2003
Leonel...

In a very interesting two-hour interview he gave last night, Leonel said, among many things that must have put Hippo in a very bad mood, that there was nothing the current administration could do to begin to remedy the situation since this whole fiasco was beyond control before it?s first year was over.
He further stated that when Hippo?s crew got into office, they publicly stated that the PLD had left a deficit of 30 million dollars, but when they filed to get the Bonos Soberanos, it was clearly stated that the actual deficit when the PLD left was of 6 million. they had to use the data form the previous administration to get the loans because the current figures wouldn?t have gotten them much.
When all is said and done, my feeling is that since their popularity has decreased so drastically, the electoral fraud will be accomplished with the Absent Dominican Vote that is trying to be implemented. That?s their best bet to stay in power and if all else fails, then they?ll do like they did in Santiago and most other provinces during the last election: Change the numbers in the ?actas? so that they have more votes even if the figures don?t add up at the bottom.
The mountains are beginning to look good..
:bandit:

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Interesting analysis. I just wanted to contribute by pointing out 2 things. the first being that the hippo has, over the course of his government, reformed the structures of power within the Dominican armed forces. Generals and coroneles that have been in the army since Balaguer and Leonel have been slowly retired or replaced by people very loyal to hippo.
Every government, including Saint Leonel (whom I dont believe is a saint, but thats another story) did this but never to this extent.
So then, not only he has a nice structure of armed security but also added a new source(and believe you me, he has plenty of sources for getting cash) of income and support for his upcomming political campaign since soldiers not only fight, they also get lots of international aid and money from the central gov't for contratas, education programs and equipments).

Speaking of contributions and support, he also has the support of the white house. In all my years living here I've never seen an american ambassador cuddle so much with the president. It used to be the democrats who meddled in our country everytime the PRD whined and complained but now the republicans aswell and GeorgeW seems to have grown a liking to his Baldness and will make no fuss and give no importance over cries of fraud in the dominican polls.
El mas tiguere siempre gana!!!
The song remains the same

Apr 26, 2002
SamIAm,

Excellent analysis, I think. I believe you correctly state the power, not just of armed force but finanial, that comes with having ties to the Dominican military. More so now than in years previous, the US seems to be trying to pump up the importance of (and cash/weapons flow to) the DR military, as part of its misguided antidrug efforts and as part of a worldwide antiterrorism plan. I suspect that US plans for Haiti also play into the picture.

I have never understood the close relationship between the White House and the Hippo. They certainly have nothing philosophically in common (does Hippo have a political philosophy?) I think, though, that the US ambassador, an "entrepenuer" and "campaign contributor" from Puerto Rico, may simply be a tiguere himself, and therefore has a natural bond with His Baldness.

Last edited:

Amber

Jan 24, 2003
Like I said before...

So we?ll let the tigueres eat the mariposas? Let?s just sit back and watch the birth of the first dictatorshp of this millenium...nottt

keithrogan

May 12, 2003
Could someone post a brief explanation (to the casual reader) about these various political parties?

How many major parties are there?

How do they stand - far left, left, centrist, right, far right...?

I do understand that in Realpolitik, parties don't necessarily vote along ideological lines, but along the lines of political expediency. Still, they must lay claim to an ideology, yet in all the hundreds of posts I've read nobody has really commented on any of that.

Keith in Kodiak

Apr 26, 2002
keithrogan said:
Still, they must lay claim to an ideology, yet in all the hundreds of posts I've read nobody has really commented on any of that.

Keith in Kodiak

Kodiak! I love your state.

In your research, you must have missed some postings on this very topic. I have personally commented twice that the parties in the DR only ostensibly have ideologies. As in other Latin American countries, they are really just crony/patronage cliques. Still, if you want to know the phony political alignments, they are:

Partido Reformista Social Cristiano (aka "PRSC" or "Reformistas") - This is the party of former long-time President/reformed dictator Juaquin Balaguer and considers itself right of center. It is part of the international Christian Democratic movement.

Partido de Liberacion Dominicano (aka "PLD") - This party has left of center origins, but became the centrist party under the presidency of Leonel Fernandez (1996-2000). It was founded by the late leftist President Juan Bosch (who also was a founder of the PRD), who was deposed in the early 1960s and kept out of power by a US invasion in 1965. The party splintered from the PRD. If any party has any real philosophy at all, it is this one, and that philosophy is one of pro-economic and social progress.

Partido Revolucionario Dominicano (aka "PRD") - This party was founded to oppose the Trujillo dictatorship, and is the party currently in power. They consider themselves left of center and are part of the international social democrat movement. They constantly control more than 40% of the vote, but were kept out of power through fraud and intimidation for many years by Balaguer. A notable clique within the party is the PPH, which is President Mejia's pro-election group. In my opinion, the leaders of this party, and the PPH in particular, have proven that they have no interest in the national wellbeing of the country.

The PRSC and PRD can really only be described as populist and cronyist, with no noticeable philosophical difference between them.

Last edited:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I "heard" this on TV yesterday! It certainly applies to Dominican "Politicians"!

A "politician" is concerned about the next election.A Statesman is concerned about the next generation!"How TRUE is THAT??? CRIS COLON

"Porfio","PERFECT!"

Last edited:

Amber

Jan 24, 2003
Amen, Porfirio!

A very accurate description!!! Now if you would please go on national TV and break it down into small bites for the rest of the country, that would make me really happy!!:bandit:

keithrogan

May 12, 2003
Thanks for the break-down!

I really love the DR. I first visited back in 79 or 80 when I was in the Coast Guard. You could actually feel the fear in the air back then, and the poverty (for most people) was evident everywhere you looked. Still, the people were incredibly nice and the country is the most beautiful in the Caribbean; perhaps the world.

I went back in 2000 and it was a different place. There was optimism along with the growing prosperity and you could see that everywhere you looked - new restaurants, hotels, stores, shiney new cars...

My wife and I began planning to move down in a few years - when the kids fly the coop. I began looking into real estate, investments, etc.
I'm not so sure I want to do that now. The Peso is sinking, the banks are shaky and the government is borrowing its way into a hole it can't possibly escape.

I've got a few years to make up my mind and I'll keep watching, and hoping that things turn around.

I can't help thinking that if a government instituted some sort of fiscal discipline, things could turn around (again) in a very dramatic way. The country is beautiful, and ripe for development. But who wants to put their money in a place where the banks may collapse? Who wants to live in a place where cops and bureaucrats must rely on bribes because their paychecks are worth less every week?

Still, I keep watching...

Keith in Kodiak

Amber

Jan 24, 2003
I sure hope so!!!

Listen, I know this really belongs in the clown bin, but it applies.

A Cuban doctor says:
Medicine is so advanced in my country that we can take a man with a damaged kidney, give him a transplant and have him looking for work within six weeks.

An Argentinean Doctor says:

Sorry, but in my country, we?ve come so far medically that we can take a man with a damaged heart, transplant half a heart to him and the other half to another man with a like condition and have both looking for jobs within two weeks.

A Dominican Doctor who didn?t want to feel belittled says:

I?ll beg your pardon, but you are far behind us. We took a man with brain damage, made him president and in less than a blink of an eye, he has bankrupted half the island and the other half is looking for work.

?. Ok.. Not so funny when the joke turns out to be true.:rolleyes: