Huge boost for North coast!

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
The President has just announced that the Puerto Plata port and area is to be dramatically improved to boost tourism. The removal of the power plants and harbour improvements to facilitate cruise ship docking will improve the local economy and remove the source of present major pollution. Yippee!! Canadian Bob.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Not trying to throw cold water, but save the celebration until work is done. During the 17 years I have lived in the DR, I have seen many similar announcements for Samana and other areas that never were followed up on. Either the work started but was soon stopped for lack of money, never to be restarted, or it never began.

The closer it gets to an election and the more uncertain the outcome is, the more such announcements are made by the President and party currently in power.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Echoing Ken in thought, adding that words and hot air have no value, ....seeing is believing. A good example is/was the proposed pier in Samana, it was started and never finished. It was a pork-barrel project started to line the pockets of politicians and friends with commissions. Regards, PJT

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Yes - I agree, celebration only when the work is done! if the work is done!

Would like to have a reference where Canadian Bob saw/heard this announcement.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Was at a recent press conference where the President was asked about this and said he was in favor but he also said that things were complicated as the power plant had to be relocated and there was no timetable for this.

The power plant and clinker unloading dock area have been very detrimental for Puerto Plata's tourism industry so I think efforts should continue to insist that they be relocated. But I wouldn't count on it happening in this administration's time.

As Dolores says no timetable for this

Time will tell, to many obstacles for it to materialize overnight.
no timetable for this, A Dominican timetable what is that??

Also Hippo has made a lot of statements that never come true.

And will it happen I don't think so, not in Hippo's time.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Not sure I understand

why this is such a good thing.Attracting tourism to the North Coast will effectively drive the prices of everything through the roof.Arent those of you who are retired on the north coast happy that you can go out to eat in a restaurant or shop for food for next to nothing?I understand that the value of your property would go up with the boost in foreign interest to the area that this would bring and that is a good thing but everything else will go up in price too. Do you want the north coast to develop into one big Americanized AI like Cancun did? Thats what you are going to get.
Larry (change is bad)

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
An Americanized Cancun is kinda far off. I would like to see some sane development as it would be good for this coast and for the ordinary people that live here.

I know a very good dominican business women in Puerto Plata that laments every time I see her, about Puerto Plata not developing. Why? she says - we have the beaches, we have the infrastructure and we have the ability.

I've been thinking about that. Why?

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
An Americanized Cancun is kinda far off.--Chris

How far off? 10 years? When the floodgates of American tourism eventually open up the AI's will pop up so fast it will make your head spin. Like you said..they have they beaches,the climate,property is cheap(now). When that happens there will so many Burger Kings and KFC's lining the streets. The days of getting a nice big plate of Dominican Food for 40 pesos will be a distant memory.You are right when you say it would be great for local Dominicans but it wont be for ex-pats. You will all be lamenting about what the north coast used to be like before...
Larry

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
I really don't know what will open the 'floodgates of American Tourism' and I don't know what is first, the A1's or the tourists?

As I understand, places like A1's in Cancun are promoted even before they are built. So, I think almost the fabric of the business environment has to change before the floodgates open?

And I also question whether tourism by itself is a 'sane' development plan. I think the DR has more to offer than just becoming another A1 paradise?

these are thoughts and ideas - and unfortunately I don't think they'll have any bearing on cleaning up Puerto Plata. :cross-eye
in this administration or the next...

Maybe some of the long-timers that experienced Puerto Plata when it was more vibrant could give some input?

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
Hi! Chris & other responders. The announcement I read was in the Listin Diario, May 9th pages 1 and 10. Three power plants are to be removed by the end of this year and the harbour port area is to be redone to allow cruise ships to dock, which will be an enormous boost to the local economy. Some $50million US is involved. This was all announced by Hipolito, who can't really afford to break this promise. Hopefully all this will come to pass.
Canadian Bob

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Would be nice if it happened - especially if they take into consideration the environmental problems with allowing cruise ships to dock, and allow for this in development plans. But, then again, I'm mostly an optimist.

Last edited:

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Puerto Plata by itself has terrible beaches. Sosua, Confresi, Costambar, Cabarete have nice beaches. I sometimes walk around in Puerto Plata by myself and wonder why any tourists actually go there. They have NOTHING.

AI's are NOT a American creation. THey were in fact created for the cheap Cannuck and European. For that reason the DR has NOT had a big US tourism boost in my opinion.

Moving the Enron plant is a GOOD thing. Blows dirty disgusting black smoke and soot. If I was on a Cruise Ship I would NOT want to dock in Puerto Plata.

Larry, change like is being imagined in this thread is GOOD... For real estate prices:)

Escott

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
IF this comes about, I shall be delighted!!! Apart from the financial benefits (jobs & scoundreling) it will bring for the local workforce, it will help me to sell my house in the centre of town!! This has been up for sale since April 1999 (when we decided we were going to build our new house just out of town centre) & has only had 3 viewers in all that time!! Lovely old Gingerbread type Victorian house made of wood & LOTS of character but No-One interested because of stagnation in the town!! - Grahame.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
I know

Larry, change like is being imagined in this thread is GOOD... For real estate prices--Escott

Yeah I know. I just wish it would happen AFTER I buy something. Then I could sell it and go somewhere else where they are NOT trying to turn it into one big tourist spot.
Larry