Fasten your seatbealts.

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
Papi Lindo NJ, I knew there was something that kept cracking me up, through-out the Free Massage, Post,

By Papi Lindo NJ Feb, 2003.
I am looking for travelers (preferably single females) from the U.S or canada to accompany me in the most adventurous trip to DR in my life. I am taking flying lessons to get my private pilot's license, and once I get that, I want to fly from NJ to DR in a small plane. This is something I've been planning for a while, so I would like to get 3 passengers to share fuel costs and rental fees for the plane, as well as the awsome experience that I think it will be from take off to landing in that beautiful island. According to my plan, this trip would take about 2 days since we would have to land in virginia and florida to refuel and get some rest, then we could land again from florida to cuba( or maybe another caribbean island along the route) to refuel for the last time, and from there, straight to DR. If anyone is interested or has any suggestions, holla back at me , or contact me through email or im at PapiLindoNJ@aol.com.

How are you coming along with this? Did you get your pilot license yet?
Are you still going to fly down?

Give us an update.

Thanks
Tim H.

Last edited:

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
This must be a joke

Who would fly with a student pilot or recent "graduate" over that much open water and the part about connecting via Cuba ought to interest the US Government and the Cuban Air Force.

I suspect the airplane rental folks would go apoplectic over the idea and the route, unless they want to see a Cessna with 20mm cannon holes in it courtesy of Fidel.

m65swede

Mar 18, 2002
The flight itself is do-able, though I agree with ricktoronto that only an idiot would accompany a student/beginning pilot on such an adventure.

Our local Veterinarian made a flight last summer to the Bahamas, then on to a conference in Jamaica in his 6 seat plane. He secured a permit that allowed him to fly over Cuban airspace. According to him it wasn't a big deal and the trip went smoothly.

Swede

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Overflying is one thing

m65swede said:
He secured a permit that allowed him to fly over Cuban airspace. According to him it wasn't a big deal and the trip went smoothly.

Swede

He wants to land there too. I think the rental plane people with or without permits are unlikely to want their American plane to land in Cuba.

Papi Lindo NJ

Feb 4, 2003
My Flight Plan

I am still planning to make this flight although it is more of a longer term project since I just have 15 hours in my pilot's logbook, and would need at least 40 hours to get my license. One reason why I'm offering massage services for women is to be able to afford more frecuent flying lessons, and speed up the proccess of getting my license. Anyway you chicken heads, the flight is not that dangerous, and I won't be flying over a lot of open water because a cessna 172 plane has a range of 580 knots using 80% power at 8000 feet, or 687 knots using 60% power at 10,000 FT. Neither way is that enough to fly over a long leg of open water without landing to refuel. I've already thought of all this, so the plan is to take off from New Jersey, land 2 or 3 times on the way to Florida ( depending on the wind direction) to refuel, and make the last U.S. landing in Miami. Then I would spend the night there and take off from Miami to DR. I said Cuba is a possibility because I would like to visit that country on the way to my destination, but if it's not possible, I can still make it because I dont really need to land in Cuba. There's a whole archipelago of islands that stretch all the way from the southern coast of Florida to DR and beyond. I can land to refuel in a lot of those islands enroute. Nonetheless, they also provide a safety net just in case I have to make an emergency landing, so the trip is not that dangerous. Regardless of the danger level of the flight, I am willing to do it because I'm not scared of flying. I love flying, and it is something I've known I wanted to do even since I was a little kid. Flying all the way from NJ and landing in my beloved DR would be a really wonderfull experience for me. Maybe something you dont understand, but for me it's one of those things I want to do in my lifetime. God willing, I will attempt this flight when I get my license, even if I have to go by myself, however I hope there are some people out there with enough sense of adventure to dare fly with me to my favorite destination in the world. :cool:

socuban

Nov 24, 2002
caldwell airport

is across the street from my office. Pick me up if you decide to do the Cuba leg, I have a gift for my little friend, Fidel;)

~~~

so you don't get lost;

Lat - 40 degrees 52' 30"
Long - 74 degrees 16' 55"

close enough

Last edited:

Papi Lindo NJ

Feb 4, 2003
Hey Cubano eso ta jebi man. I'm enrolled in Caldwell flight academy, so that is my home airport right across the street from your job. Maybe you can help me with the proccess of obtaining a Cuban landing permit, and introduce me to your friend Fidel Castro.

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
Don't airlines pay the Cuban gov't to fly over their airspace? Just wondering.........I mean that would explain how Air Jamaica gets to Jamaica so quick.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Anna to Tim. Come in Tim. Over!

I'm begining to think this should be moved to the airline section since Tim's point for starting this thread was kind of lost over Cuba.

AlaninDR

Mr. Chunky Skin
Dec 17, 2002
The three most dangerous piloting areas, those with 50 hours, those with 500 hours, those with 10,000 hours. Certain over confidence is generally reached at those approximate times.
BTW papi, knots refers to speed. Nautical miles, miles and kilometers refer to distance. Minor errors such as that often times prove costly.
a fellow pilot with over 19,000 hours PIC singles to heavies including rotor and all the add ons

socuban

Nov 24, 2002
good idea

Anna Coniglio said:
Anna to Tim. Come in Tim. Over!

I'm begining to think this should be moved to the airline section since Tim's point for starting this thread was kind of lost over Cuba.

That's funny Anna, LOL. Didn't mean to hijack the thread Tim, I "cracked up" when I originally read that thread.

I hope it doesn't die though, its starting to shape up like a good latin version of "dumb and dumber".

The plot - Two suburban latinos, in their quest to find their roots, take flying lessons each with a goal in mind. The first, a cubano, secretly conspires to overthrow the Cuban government all along eluding to the counterpart that the sole purpose of the stop in Havana is to bring granma much needed toiletries. Of course when they land in Cuba, the overthrow is uncovered and the young and restless pair make a Laurel and Hardy escape to the awaiting albatross (which another family is busy at work trying to steal and fly to America)...............

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
Ground Control to Anna.

Your coming in loud and clear.;)
I originally posted this in the General Forum, but it was moved to this one.:confused:

Honest it was not me his time.

Roger Wilco
Over and out.

Tim H.

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
OMG!!!!!

socuban

You had me laughing so hard, tears are coming out of my eyes!!!

People are looking at me so strange, If only they knew.
:laugh: :laugh: :cross-eye :cross-eye :p :p

Give me more, PLEASE!!!!!

Tim H

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Could be made into a funny movie.

I can see it now. A pilot with 15 hrs flying time with a rented plane full of less experienced people landing from Island to Island asking directions to the DR.
Now I know why he needs women to go with him. We know guys will not stop and ask for directions.

Just kidding guys!!! Love you all ;)

socuban. I like your story better

Last edited:

Pavan

Jan 18, 2002
Invert your route man!!!

Hey Papi_Lindo,

If you are having problems finding people to get on the plane with you for your trip from the US to DR.

I can assure you with all my heart that if you were to do the same trip from the DR to the US you will have to fight people off your plane.

Whats more, you will probably not need to rent a plane (someone will steal it for you), buy gas, food and above all no one will ask questions about your 15 or 4o hours. Besides I am sure some Jebita will be giving YOU a massage before, during and after the flight.

How about calling your plane "La Yola Volador"

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Movie rights!

I want em...

"Clueless from Caldwell to Cuba"

Staring Antonio Bandaras and Jennifer Lopez

Some people just have no idea about life around them. This dude has 15 hours NOW, I wonder how many he had before this when he posted that nonsense. Some people will do anything or in this case SAY ANYYTHING to try to get laid fer heavens sake. First looking for a woman to accompany him on his "Plane trip" and now free massages for women? Gimme a break already.

Sheesh man, we can pass a hat and buy you a freakin Prostitute and get you done man!

<shaking head>
Escott

Pavan

Jan 18, 2002
Shame on you Escott

Shame on you bro.

The case is clear, the guy obvoiusly has a very healthy overdose of hormones which trigger off those un-controlable desires for sex at 5000 feet in a 172.

And you Escott are offering to hoooook heeeem up with one of your Blaaaaaack Haitianas....... and that too..........at sea level!!!

Wait till AZB gets back from Venezuela and he hears about this.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Flight to DR, ie. Brave(?) or Estupido?

While I applaud your for dreaming of doing something as a child and following up on it as an adult, I castigate you for not realising that your dream is severly flawed. In my career as both a military pilot(27yrs) and continuing to pursue that career in civilian life as a CFII and ATP(charter only) AND owning and operating a flight school(Private thru ATP), I have found that those persons not posessing good, sound judgement and applying same to their flying endeavors, soon "spin, crash and burn" off the end of the runway. Usually taking several people with them.
I've made the trip from Florida to Puerto Rico a total of 10 times, picking up and delivering aircraft to and from engine overhaul. In addition, I've rented aircraft from FBO"s all over the USA. My experience (30,000 hrs. worth) has been, not to trust the maintenance and upkeep of aircraft leased-back by FBO's who must do same by contract. You'll find that the avionics/electronics don't work correctly half the time. In addition, to contemplate a trip of that magnitude requires an extinsive knowledge of wind/system patterns over the open ocean and adjacent to land masses. Things are vastly different in that environment.
If you simply MUST do this thing, then I suggest you plan your trip leaving West Palm or Ft. Lauderdale and go via the Bahama chain to Nassau, Georgetown, Aklins(if it has a reliable airport), Provodenciales, into Puerto Plata. What ever route you take, NEVER, NEVER be further from dry land than gliding distance to a crash landing. Be ready for the engine to go automatic rough when you get your feet wet and to remain so until they're dry again. Sit on a sheet of metal so you don't chew your way through the bottom of the aircraft, thereby rendering it unsafe for flight. Have no fewer than 300 hours as PIC and PLEASE, PLEASE have an Instrument rating!!!!!
Take about 15-20 simulated overwater flights (using IFR Charts only, and under the Hood) in preparation for the flight simulating each leg in miles traveled and altitude intended with weather (wind direction/velocity forecast) simulated/real. In other words, PREPARE YOURSELF using Murphy's Law(If something can go wrong, it will). Last, but not least take a couple of water survival courses and carry a certified liferaft and approved flotation devices for each passenger.
GOOD LUCK, and keep up thy airspeed, lest the ground rise up and smite thee.
Texas Bill

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Good advice Texas Bill. Let's hope he reads this and doesn't fly any time soon.