Luggage restrictions

msophiac

Jan 20, 2003
Does anyone know the limits in weight for American Airlines--cant find it on their site--is it more if you are flying internationally--out of the US...? If your luggage is really heavy, do you have to wait for another flight or pay extra or what? I will be there for several months, and just realized my bags will be very heavy.
thanks,
sophia

m65swede

Mar 18, 2002
The baggage limits are generally 50# per bag for domestic flights and 70# each for international ones.

I have included the link for American Airlines web page on baggage allowances. Just click

HERE

Swede

lindalyn

Feb 15, 2003
While speaking of ........

luggage....can anyone tell me about locks? Can we put a little lock on the luggages? Sorry to add on .

;)

maryanne

Mar 16, 2003
From Canada, AA will allow me 2 bags at 70 pounds each (to POP). If they are overweight, AA will charge about $150 Canadian. Same charges will apply if you have an extra baggage. You are allowed one handbag at about 30 pounds.

With regards to locks, no you cannot put any locks on until after yoru baggage has been checked. AA informed me that no locks are allowed and they will be broken off if needed. However, they suggested that I just use a twist tie to at least keep the zipper from opening.

Good luck!

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
With regards to locks

In the U.S. the TSA, Transportation Security Administration, discourages the use of baggage locks. They mention their screening process may require them to open a locked bag, cutting and destroying the lock to accomplish it.

A handy item is 4" colored plastic cable ties used by electricians to bundle wires/cables. They are strong enough to secure the baggage. Being colored they are harder to copy. Once fixed they can only be removed by cutting. Their absence provides proof baggage has been opened. All you need to break the seal is nail clippers (you are forbidden to carry a knife or sisssors). A bag of 100 costs about a buck and found in most hardware and some department stores and is small enough to pack in a purse or carry in a pocket. Regards, PJT

lindalyn

Feb 15, 2003
very good idea!!!

PJT

I like the color plastic cable idea !!!! I will use that ! What A brilliant idea !